Magical turning camshafts

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Chebus
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Magical turning camshafts

Post by Chebus »

So i got the timing belt off on monday, i went and ordered a new one and a water pump, came back today to find the left bank of camshafts have moved off the marks by about 45 degrees! and when i turn them back, i cant touch them or they will jump off by 45 again, is that normal or have i fucked something? all other marks are fine (right bank cams and crank) :S
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: Magical turning camshafts

Post by PHIL069 »

That's normal, they are under tension from the valve springs and rockers, you are supposed to hold them in place with a cam tool kit, or a wedge of wood wedged inbetween each set of pulleys, like I used.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Chebus
Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

oh thank god! as you can tell this is the first time ive ever done anything to a car :P
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Cambelt on an FTO as a first thing to do on a car ever is quite ambitious 8O
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Good on ya for giving it a go. just dont f*ck is up lol
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

vanadinite wrote:Good on ya for giving it a go. just dont f*ck is up lol
+1
Make sure you manualy turn the engine with a breaker bar, at least 3 times, after the belt is fitted and make sure the timing marks line up each time.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Chebus
Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

spetz wrote:Cambelt on an FTO as a first thing to do on a car ever is quite ambitious 8O
YOLO! 420 blaze it!

However now im stuck trying to take the cam sprockets off to replace the seals, any hints? For the crankshaft seal i just gouge it out and replace it? Man I suck at this >.<
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

There is a special tool to hold the cam sprockets while you undo the nuts, but...

You can also...
Hold the camshafts with a spanner/adjustable wrench on the flat/hex shape just inside the engine, and use an impact gun (if available) or spanner to undo the nuts.
or
Take tha camshaft and sprockets out as a unit and hold the same mentioned part of the cam in a vice and undo the nuts.
Attachments
Engine Cams.jpg
Chebus
Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

PHIL069 wrote:There is a special tool to hold the cam sprockets while you undo the nuts, but...

You can also...
Hold the camshafts with a spanner/adjustable wrench on the flat/hex shape just inside the engine, and use an impact gun (if available) or spanner to undo the nuts.
or
Take tha camshaft and sprockets out as a unit and hold the same mentioned part of the cam in a vice and undo the nuts.
thanks heaps, ill see how it goes!
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Nice engine :D
gotta get there one day :)
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

ZFL45H1 wrote:Nice engine :D
+ 1
So clean
Is your FTO your daily Phil ?
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

destinationtoby wrote:
ZFL45H1 wrote:Nice engine :D
+ 1
So clean
Is your FTO your daily Phil ?
Yes it is my daily...everydaily :lol:

I agree, nice engine you have there ZFL45H1, it was the first pic I found to show what I needed to. :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Before relassing tension of belt loosen the bolts first. Make sure the belt doesn't slip when you go loosen it! Never has happened to be but could be possible.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Chebus wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:There is a special tool to hold the cam sprockets while you undo the nuts, but...

You can also...
or
thanks heaps, ill see how it goes!
Thats why they recommend a third of a turn anti clock on the crank, there is no tension on the cams.
benrad666
Apprentice

Post by benrad666 »

Err I just did the same job and was in the same boat as u, with having pretty much f**k all experience in the area of timing belts. :? Pulled it all down alone but needed help getting it back together.
Anyway I got stuck with the same problem, couldn't undo the camshaft bolts to replace the seals. The way I got them was by jamming a screwdriver through the holes in the pully against the engine block. It was so dam tight. Few scratches in the engine block here and there :x but got there. Had absolutely no way to access the one the nearest driver side. So that one got left. I would imagine u need the engine out or at least lifted.
I didn't know about accessing the nut through the top of the engine and to be honest I wouldn't have wanted to take it all off anyway.
But yeah not a job ill ever be attempting again. I'm amazed how hard it was. But glad to say my beast is now purring :D
Wait till u get to the tensioner (not the hydraulic one) getting that set is a bitch without the special tool. We used pointy nose pliers and a screw driver, but I don't recommend this, as u can probably tell we did a backyard job so to say. Lol
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I used a 3/8 socket drill two holes in it and shove two small screw driver bits in it from bunnings.