Oil usage

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Corey95
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Oil usage

Post by Corey95 »

My 97 GPX seems to be using a fair amount of oil :( . Put in about 2.5L of 10-50W penrite in about 2 weeks ago filling up to over half and within that time it's already below the line again, there's seems to be no leaks, can anyone help out with this?
fraz91
Hair-do

Re: Oil usage

Post by fraz91 »

Is it blowing a lot of smoke? How many km's on the engine? Could be rings or valve stem seals, though unlikely for a '97 unless it's been thrashed with high kms.
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Corey95
Grease Monkey

Post by Corey95 »

It blows a bit of smoke with a slight rev on a cold start, can definitely smell some kind of burning smell coming from the exhaust, has just hit 150000kms, looking for a change of oil maybe to 10 - 40w or the same thing in a "metallic orange" bottle :? As someone described to me and maybe a new high performance battery to handle the power of the car, also about to book it in for a service within the next week or two :D
Kace
Apprentice

Post by Kace »

Are you sure it isn't leaking out somewhere? Normally these engines burn almost no oil.

Forget the advice re the bigger battery also. It's completely unnecessary for the car and wil not improve anything about how it performs or drives.
Corey95
Grease Monkey

Post by Corey95 »

Can't see it leaking out anywhere, unless its getting caught somewhere :? I Have been checking for any leaks where my car has been parked after work, one thing I do know is leaking is water from the a/c pipe, every time I use it or the heater it tends to leak out water when in pull up :( going to take it around to my mechanic tomorrow to hopefully get a better look at it.
Kace
Apprentice

Post by Kace »

Corey95 wrote:Can't see it leaking out anywhere, unless its getting caught somewhere :? I Have been checking for any leaks where my car has been parked after work, one thing I do know is leaking is water from the a/c pipe, every time I use it or the heater it tends to leak out water when in pull up :( going to take it around to my mechanic tomorrow to hopefully get a better look at it.
That a/c pipe 'leak' is nothing to worry about and is normal. It's an overflow pipe.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

often can drip oil from filter seal straight onto front pipe which just burns off, shouldnt use much oil though even with turbo I dont use a drop, only other thing is through piston rings or valve stem seals, are you checking when cold and on a flat suface every time? even if from cam seals etc you would notice drips on ground.

And yes battery has nothing to with it and a/c dripping water is normal from overflow only issue if getting it inside cabin on passenger side which will be heater core but completely unrelated to oil usage
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Corey95
Grease Monkey

Post by Corey95 »

If it is my valve stem seals or piston rings, that can only mean one thing won't it :( I have to wait a week before I can get the car booked in to the mechanics for a check :?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

clean your pcv valve as I bet it's clogged and this contributes to oil consumption.
TomHenman
Grease Monkey

Post by TomHenman »

I had a mechanic check on your car when I was looking a buying mine and this is what he got back to me in regards to the oil leakages:
"Oil leaks evident from upper engine, front & rear of engine, sides of engine & lower engine-REPAIR AS REQUIRED

Lower engine oil leaks from around bell housing area-FURTHER INVESTIGATION REQUIRED.

Power Steering Pump, rack, and high pressure hoses leaking-FURTHER INVESTIGATION REQUIRED.

Engine blows smoke after extended periods of idle-(valve stem seals)-NEEDS REPAIR"
If you'd like I can send you the entire report (mind you this was in March)
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Engine blows smoke after extended periods of idle-(valve stem seals)-NEEDS REPAIR"
Sounds like we've got a winner.
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Corey95
Grease Monkey

Post by Corey95 »

TomHenman wrote:I had a mechanic check on your car when I was looking a buying mine and this is what he got back to me in regards to the oil leakages:
"Oil leaks evident from upper engine, front & rear of engine, sides of engine & lower engine-REPAIR AS REQUIRED

Lower engine oil leaks from around bell housing area-FURTHER INVESTIGATION REQUIRED.

Power Steering Pump, rack, and high pressure hoses leaking-FURTHER INVESTIGATION REQUIRED.

If you'd like I can send you the entire report (mind you this was in March)
Did they give you any idea of the cost to repair these?
I don't really want to get rid of the FTO already :(
TomHenman
Grease Monkey

Post by TomHenman »

Corey95 wrote: Did they give you any idea of the cost to repair these?
I don't really want to get rid of the FTO already :(
No quote or anything just a list
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Head work equals cost. Cheap to change motor more likely
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Corey95
Grease Monkey

Post by Corey95 »

Most rebuilds cost after all labour parts etc 3k+, wondering if it would be worth investing in a used engine, I found one on ebay from Gold Coast for $1900 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-F ... 1030156611
I've already lined up someone I know to drop the engine in when I get it.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Corey95 wrote:Most rebuilds cost after all labour parts etc 3k+, wondering if it would be worth investing in a used engine, I found one on ebay from Gold Coast for $1900 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-F ... 1030156611
I've already lined up someone I know to drop the engine in when I get it.
That's super expensive. I've seen low km engines go for half that.

There's a mob that dstocks has used that do them $600, I'll see if I can dig up the info.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Isn't Shane selling an engine?

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28284

6A12 Mivec 2.0lt V6 inc stock 166cc injectors. No manifolds or bolt ons. $500.
Good running condition and sub 100K kms. Timing belt is new a couple of years ago from my other engine so only done a few thousand kms if that. Will need a thermostat & water pump (the pump currently on it has no impeller blades as I was running an electric pump on the racecar) and will need spark plugs (I’m keeping the Iriway 9’s for the new racecar and these would be way too cold for street use anyway).
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol: