FTO GPX Engine management problems.. can anyone help ??

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spoid
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO GPX Engine management problems.. can anyone help ??

Post by spoid »

HI Guys, have been reading this forum for ages and finally have something to say/ask so finally registered :) Good to be here.

Now to the questions ...

My brother owns a 96 (I think its a 96) FTO GPX. We were driving back to Perth from Bunbury today and did an overtaking manouver (hard accel but not extremely so), shortly after the engine check light came on but no signs of rough running or anything. We decided to pull over, shut the engine off for 30 seconds and restart. All went well and check light was no longer on and engine seemed to be running very smootly. About 30 mins later engine check light came back on, we had no choice but to drive to our destination which was uneventful. After stopping the car for about 10 mins, a restart resulted in extremely rough running and almost immediate stalling.. There was also a strong smell of unburnt pertrol from the exhaust pipe.. From this description, can anyone suggest what would likely be wrong? I know a full diagnosis cannot be done from this alone. Just trying to get an idea. Would try the engine check light code thingo but we disconnected the battery for a few minutes which I imagine will have cleared the error code :( DOH

Next question... Can anyone recommend a good repair company in the Perth metro area to fix this problem?? Prefferably someone who can come out to repair the car. (In Tuart Hill)

and last question... Where is the best place to get a replacement reversing light switch (manual gearbox)? is it true that some Colts use the same switch?

Sorry about the waffling on.. but I do really appreciate any help..

All the best

Brad
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Re: FTO GPX Engine management problems.. can anyone help ??

Post by Technikhaus »

Welcome to the club!

With the light, I'd check anyway for the code, It can sometime take half an hour or so to reset the ECU. Is it still running rough now?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
spoid

Post by spoid »

Technikhaus wrote:Welcome to the club!

With the light, I'd check anyway for the code, It can sometime take half an hour or so to reset the ECU. Is it still running rough now?

Thanks for the welcome Technikhaus :)

I have just remembered that we left the battery cable off (has been unplugged for a few hours now) but I just realised that since the problem is still there then the code should be re-logged when trying to restart the car. or is my logic flawed?

Will speak to my brother tommorrow and see if he will let me check the error codes. Will let you know.

Thanks for your help :)

Brad
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

drive again till light reappears then run error code check
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

^This
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia