Electrics help. Sigh

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

destinationtoby
Broke it
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Electrics help. Sigh

Post by destinationtoby »

Trying to wire in the angel eye rings. And they aren't working. I'll explain what I've done and hopefully someone can explain what I've done wrong.

I know it's all a mess with live wires and what not, but I just wanted to test everything before I start hiding them, soldering and heat shrinking.

1st pic- I installed the rings, following the DIY instructions.

2nd pic- installed and connected ballast

3rd, 4th & 5th pic- I lead the positive wires from the ballasts to a switch that has two connections poking out. I wired them to one connection, and then I lead another positive wire from the battery to the other connection.
I guessed that's its simple, when u flick the switch, the connections join and send power to the ballasts and the lights light up....

6th pic- I led the negative wires from the ballasts directly to the earth on the battery....

They won't light up............ :cry:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
rock_it
Oldtimer

Re: Electrics help. Sigh

Post by rock_it »

Had you tested the angel eyes direct off the battery ... ? To see if that was the problem?

Cause it may be that and not the switch ...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

silly question, definitely not shorting?

you can try different combinations to work out what's the problem. i.e. angel eye to ballast to battery terminals, confirm if the angel eyes are working, and if the ballast is working (assuming you have more than one of each, so swap them around to test); if this combo works fine then it's either the switch or your wiring, just keep tracing it back I guess.

on a different note, I think I might've kept a couple spare ballasts from the GB (I'll need to dig through the garage), so if the ballast is busted then I can help you out, but if it's the CCFLs.... :( (fingers crossed it's your wiring lol)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
destinationtoby
Broke it

BorepYano wrote: you can try different combinations to work out what's the problem. i.e. angel eye to ballast to battery terminals, confirm if the angel eyes are working,... :( (fingers crossed it's your wiring lol)

Thanks guys
I shall try this with both of them. Be back in 5 ;)
rock_it wrote:Had you tested the angel eyes direct off the battery ... ? To see if that was the problem?

Cause it may be that and not the switch ...
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
destinationtoby
Broke it

Ok so I just ran two direct wires from the battery to the ballasts. I switched thru 4 different ballasts on each light... Meaning, either all four of the ballast a broken Orrr both lights are fucked.... Guessing it's more likely the lights..
Which
Means
Removing the rings, which means baking, removing bumpers and lights. :|

f**k ! :suicide:
Attachments
image.jpg
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Hence why you always bench test something before installing.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Broke it 8)
destinationtoby
Broke it

Bennoz wrote:Broke it 8)
And I even went to the trouble to f**king fuse them.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Not to mention the now random hole I drilled for the switch
destinationtoby
Broke it

Vectose wrote:Hence why you always bench test something before installing.

I did
Attachments
image.jpg
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Maybe it's a poor ground
destinationtoby
Broke it

vanadinite wrote:Maybe it's a poor ground
destinationtoby wrote: I led the negative wires from the ballasts directly to the earth on the battery....
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

check the wiring on the lights when you get them out. Hopefully it's something simple, like you pulling the wires out by accident or something. obviously they were working when you tested them... so trace your steps back I guess.

silly question again, but... are you plugging one light into one ballast and not trying to be tricky and doubling them up or anything like that?
kiz wrote:
destinationtoby
Broke it

BorepYano wrote:check the wiring on the lights when you get them out. Hopefully it's something simple, like you pulling the wires out by accident or something. obviously they were working when you tested them... so trace your steps back I guess.

silly question again, but... are you plugging one light into one ballast and not trying to be tricky and doubling them up or anything like that?
No I just wanted to to get one working then, repeat the same for the other one, after. But have them link to to the same switch of course.

Could the superglue have caused them to blow or something?
Maybe when I baked them to close the lights :?: :roll:

Won't be able to remove them, with out shattering the the ring, I used araldite :/
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

destinationtoby wrote: Could the superglue have caused them to blow or something?
haven't heard of anything like that before... don't see how that would cause it either, in fact I did do one set with bog and one set with superglue... and there were no issues with any damage to the lights.... I'm thinking you might have melted the wiring while putting it all back together? (I'm hoping anyway, because that you can fix lol)

Check the ballasts with the lights that you haven't installed yet, make sure they definitely work...
kiz wrote:
destinationtoby
Broke it

BorepYano wrote:
destinationtoby wrote: Could the superglue have caused them to blow or something?
haven't heard of anything like that before... don't see how that would cause it either, in fact I did do one set with bog and one set with superglue... and there were no issues with any damage to the lights.... I'm thinking you might have melted the wiring while putting it all back together? (I'm hoping anyway, because that you can fix lol)

Check the ballasts with the lights that you haven't installed yet, make sure they definitely work...

Yep, tested all the ballasts, they all work fine.
I don't have another set of lights lol.
And I did double check the wiring and everything before I put the lights bak together and into the car, because it wasn't something I wanted to do again :pr: :pl:
Ohwell just gonna have to live with it :lol:
Cheers for your help though : :thumright: