Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bryan
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Engine not starting at first attempt

Post by bryan »

Hi guys,

I have a 1995 GPX FTO, any idea why at times it takes two attempts to start my engine?

Normally happens in the morning, irregardless of the weather. But always starts on the second attempt.

I've also noticed when i fully wind down or up my windows, the rev reduces. It could be the stepper motor but the car dose not die when idling.

Don't know if these are linked?

I have recently replaced my battery and starter motor.

Many thanks :)
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Re: Engine not starting at first attempt

Post by FTOwnage »

Alternator related?
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
bryan
Apprentice

Post by bryan »

FTOwnage wrote:Alternator related?
i have also even more recently replaced my alternator.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Starting issues...
Stepper starting to die or fuel filter or spark plugs or leads or coil packs or fuel pump or blocked air filter or bad earth/s or sensor issue.

My engine idle doesn't drop when the window is winding down but when I push down on the down switch again my volt meter drops from 13.6V to 12V.
I would say the above list would also apply to your window issue^ (but could also be window motor starting to die or window tracks clogged with crap)
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

sh*tty contacts on your battery terminals, take them off sandpaper the battery terminals and the terminals on the end of the wires and put them back on and tighten until they are not able to move at all.
bryan
Apprentice

Post by bryan »

PHIL069 wrote:Starting issues...
Stepper starting to die or fuel filter or spark plugs or leads or coil packs or fuel pump or blocked air filter or bad earth/s or sensor issue.

My engine idle doesn't drop when the window is winding down but when I push down on the down switch again my volt meter drops from 13.6V to 12V.
I would say the above list would also apply to your window issue^ (but could also be window motor starting to die or window tracks clogged with crap)

Thanks for that detailed explanation. Ill probably try changing my stepper motor and see how it goes. Occasionally the rev drops when reversing and steering wheel fully turned, so I guess that could be it.
bryan
Apprentice

Post by bryan »

silverGPX wrote:sh*tty contacts on your battery terminals, take them off sandpaper the battery terminals and the terminals on the end of the wires and put them back on and tighten until they are not able to move at all.
Yeah thanks ill look into that too cheers
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

When the engine does stay on what is the rpm engines on?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Don't trust that volt meter! You will find if it's reading 12. Whatever the actual output is always above 13 from the alternator.