Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

fto12345
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Spark plug leads..

Post by fto12345 »

Hello,

Does any one have any spare spark plug lead for a GPX?

I want to send it to split fire to make an upgrade spark plug leads for my car. But they haven't made one yet as they don't know what it looks like.

If you have one then lend them to me?

Or if you must sell then let me know how much.

Or does any one know if any one does make an upgrade spark plug leads for the GPX?

Thank you,
wildfaye
Grease Monkey

Post by wildfaye »

http://www.nagaidenshi.co.jp/

http://www.nagaidenshi.co.jp/PLUG/silicon.shtml

http://www.nagaidenshi.co.jp/PLUG/bluepoint.shtml

the bluepoint ones are the better ones, becos they are of lower resistance
cost ard 14000yen...ard sgd 240, aud 210 exclude shipping.

hope this helps. i m in spore btw.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hello,

Thank you very much for that...

But I was hoping for some thing within Australia??

Isn't there any one out there that have upgraded their spark plug leads?

If you have could you please tell me where you got them from??

Otherwise, I guess I will have to source it from Japan.

Anyway, thank you for your help...
TW
Apprentice

Post by TW »

Hi
I just recieved my new leads
They are Magnecor High performance 7/8 mm cost me $95.00 from Turbonetics in Melbourne. You can Email them at Sales@turbonetics.com.au :D
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

I will e-mail them and see what they can do for me!

:)

Thank you!!!!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Is the coil pack being upgraded too, if not you're really only upgrading half the leads.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Upgraded mine to Magnecor High performance 8.5mm as well, but theres isn't any coil pack upgrade availible that i'm aware of. Maybe someone might know something or somewhere?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

there isnt really any point in upgrading the leads if their not stuffed. The FTO leads are way good enough, and half the system already have coil packs on them.
elmo
Grease Monkey

i disagree

Post by elmo »

Got a set of 8mm leads from Kempy's in NZ.
I agree the standard leads are ok for a stock motor.
As for the coil packs? Well 3 fire straight onto the top of the plugs and the other three need leads. Wouldn't it make sense that a better lead from the packs to the plug will mean a better spark, without needing to change the coil? We are not trying to get more from the coil, just make the back three pklugs fire as good as the front.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

payaya wrote:there isnt really any point in upgrading the leads if their not stuffed. The FTO leads are way good enough, and half the system already have coil packs on them.
FTO leads are only 5mm, even the 4 cycl Camry are thicker then that. :oops: And FTO are suppose to be a performance car???? 8O
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

true, but i spoke to the guys at top gun, they said its not needed?

maybe becuase of the short run between coils?

or maybe because the FTO use smaller spark plugs? Less current to get the thing to spark?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The reason for using larger and better quality leads is to reduce the resistance and in turn improve the flow of electricity to the spark plugs. By upgrading the leads but not the coil pack half the spark plugs would have an improved response while the other half would stay around the same (as they still use the old coil pack wiring), meaning there would be an spark imbalance between the two banks.

Without knowing how the FTO's ECU works, I couldn't say for sure what impact this has, but it is quite possible that it causes some confusion to the FTO as it tries to adjust the engine inline with the spark and burn from the first bank and then a fraction of a second later gets a reduced spark and burn from the second set of banks. At a guess I would suggest that the FTO will set itself for the lowest / poorest response which would mean there would be little benefit. The ideal would be to have all 6 plugs connected via the same type of cable so they all roughly have the same amount of resistance and therefore spark performance.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Ok guys,
So does that mean the FTOs have a coil pack?
So the spark plug leads all connect to the coil pack right?

How much is a coil pack? And where could you get one from?

Thank you,
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

nah the front three banks have coil packs directly to the plugs, so no leads. Then each coil pack goes to one of the three plugs on the back.
GWIDO
Apprentice

spark

Post by GWIDO »

the back plugs would get reduced spark as it needs to go through the leads, where as the front ones are connected almost directly to the coil.
So it is not nescessary to upgrade the coils.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

not talking about upgrading the coils, but rather the 3 leads in the coil pack that run from the back bank to the front bank as they're pretty thin and by now, also pretty old.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

the ignition system is a "wasted spark" system
The distributor uses ONE coil, which operates on every spark. The distributor can be eliminated by using multiple coils, one per cylinder, or one per cylinder pair. The wasted spark method fires two cylinders (pairs) simultaneously, one in the exhaust and one in the firing cycle. There are coils available with two high tension leads for this purpose. The differences between a distributor system and a multi-coil (MC) system are:

1) Wasted spark firing eliminates the distributor and its associated mechanical faults.

2) Multicoil (wasted spark) systems have anly ONE spark gap, and delivers more spark energy.

3) Multicoil systems deliver more spark energy, because each coil has more time for re-charging.
Upgrading the coils packs would be definately an advantage and would be able to minimise the energy lost over wires of a lower grade and higher resistance
wildfaye
Grease Monkey

Post by wildfaye »

Any upgrades from UAS soon for the coil packs? :twisted:
GWIDO
Apprentice

coil packs

Post by GWIDO »

My apologies, upgrading the coil packs, as with upgading any part, will be of some benefit, but allowing the coil to fire into the best lead possible would be a better start for those who are doing their mods in stages. You dont need an intercooler unless you got a turbo....

have any of you actually pulled the coil packs of because there are no wires between the front and back, there is a coil pack which fires down onto the front plug and across into the lead that goes to the back plug. It is a sealed unit and probably oil filled.

Personally i dont think you will get much performance increase from either mod as the engine is quite efficient, and the plugs are never dirty when replaced so the fuel is being burnt well. I only noticed a power increase because one of my leads was damaged prior to the upgrade, and i got the oversize tb at the same time.

On the other hand, if your gonna go the hog and run NOS or boost, having a larger set of leads or even new coil packs would be high on the list of insurance items.
GWIDO
Apprentice

leads

Post by GWIDO »

FTO12345....
If you still want to get em custom made....
I have a set of leads, well two and a half anyway, but you gotta work out how to get em to sydney. :evil: