Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Technikhaus
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Issue with 1st gear

Post by Technikhaus »

Hey all,
I've had an issue with the synchro in first gear for a while now, it never used to be able to pop into gear until you're crawling or stopped.
Not I notice that unless I'm doing less then 5Km/h it will quite often grind the gear when trying to put it in, or just won't allow it in at all?
Is this the synchro wearing/worn out?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Kashikhan55
Grease Monkey

Re: Issue with 1st gear

Post by Kashikhan55 »

synchro prolly same happened to my third gear

picked up this trick from honda forum for temporary solution.

start car leave it in neutral and pump up the revs to around 4000-4500 revs or close about and then without pressing clutch put the car in just before the first gear gate don't put it in that it grinds just put it just before the gate of first gear before it grinds. (hold for about 5 seconds) temporarily fixes synchro problems and grinds.
just do it on flat surface.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Technikhaus wrote:Hey all,
I've had an issue with the synchro in first gear for a while now, it never used to be able to pop into gear until you're crawling or stopped.
Not I notice that unless I'm doing less then 5Km/h it will quite often grind the gear when trying to put it in, or just won't allow it in at all?
That's not a problem. It's quite normal. I'm trying to figure out how to remove that feature on the next box I build.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Kashikhan55 wrote:synchro prolly same happened to my third gear

picked up this trick from honda forum for temporary solution.

start car leave it in neutral and pump up the revs to around 4000-4500 revs or close about and then without pressing clutch put the car in just before the first gear gate don't put it in that it grinds just put it just before the gate of first gear before it grinds. (hold for about 5 seconds) temporarily fixes synchro problems and grinds.
just do it on flat surface.
Wouldn't hurt to give it a try I guess. cheers.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:Hey all,
That's not a problem. It's quite normal. I'm trying to figure out how to remove that feature on the next box I build.
I assume that the not going into gear part may be normal, but the grinding part?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia