Belt Slipping

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTOwnage
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Belt Slipping

Post by FTOwnage »

I've recently replaced my PS tensioner pulley and both belts.

Going from this: http://completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?aid=134
I tensioned both of them so they had the correct amount of movement (Alt=8-12mm and PS/AC=3-5mm).

I keep playing with the adjustment bolt but I can't seem to get the PS belt to stop slipping and making that horrible noise it does. Usually it just goes away after a few seconds but it seems to be happening sometimes when I turn the steering wheel hard clockwise.
Could it be a wrong installation/grease/belt?

Any advice?

Keeping in mind I've never attempted anything like this before. No hate :geny:
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
Sahin
HULK

Re: Belt Slipping

Post by Sahin »

Do not grease the belt
It needs tightening
Those measurements of movement is meant to be in the longest part of the belt not touching anything
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Make sure to loosen the centre bolt before adjusting.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Sahin wrote:Do not grease the belt
It needs tightening
Those measurements of movement is meant to be in the longest part of the belt not touching anything
I didn't grease anything. I was asking if grease on something might be causing it to slip. I've just tensioned it more and it seems to be making the noise louder.
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Is it possible I have over tightened?
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Tighten them more.Those figures a guide only. If its still slipping nip it up a little more.Just dont make it so tight you snap the belt and bugger the pulleys, thats all.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    FTOwnage
    Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Cheers Dstocks.

Only reason I have to do all this is because the old pulley flew off some where into Paxton's farmland on my way to the Xmas party.

I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

You just need to make sure there is some movement if you grab the belt between the pulleys and move it up/down. If its squeeling, its most likely too loose.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

Always overtighten a fraction. The belt will stretch over the first 1000 kays & end up being about right.
      Shane001
      Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Always a good idea to check it a retighten after a few hundred k's, and then a second time again.

Whenever I put a new belt on the racecar, I'd set the tension correct for a new belt, first session out I'd need to tension it again, and again a couple more times before it would settle. New belts do stretch and if they become a little loose they'll come off under W.O.T. Ask me how I know :lol:
      FTOwnage
      Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Shane001 wrote:Always a good idea to check it a retighten after a few hundred k's, and then a second time again.

Whenever I put a new belt on the racecar, I'd set the tension correct for a new belt, first session out I'd need to tension it again, and again a couple more times before it would settle. New belts do stretch and if they become a little loose they'll come off under W.O.T. Ask me how I know :lol:
      How do you know?
      destinationtoby
      Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Yea c**t how do you know ???????
      Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
      except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
      FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
      Shane001
      Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

:lol:

First time, coming onto the bridge at Oran Park, W.O.T., right hand down on the steering, suddenly belt snaps, no power steering, only just saved it from going into the barrier and plummeting over the side of the bridge 8O

Second time, accelerating out of Hells Corner at Bathurst, belt snaps, pulls on the crank angle sensor wiring, broke the wire right down at the sensor, took us half the weekend to figure out why the car wouldn't run :evil:

Then I bought a gates belt tension 'gauge' and never had a problem again. Would always check it at least a couple of times every race weekend. Every time I'd put on a new belt I'd readjust it at least 3 or 4 times before the tension would settle.
      PHIL069
      Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Shane001 wrote:Second time, accelerating out of Hells Corner at Bathurst, belt snaps, pulls on the crank angle sensor wiring, broke the wire right down at the sensor, took us half the weekend to figure out why the car wouldn't run :evil:
      Same thing happened to me...but I was accelerating out of Hells Shopping Center :lol:
      mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
      Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
      Shane001
      Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

PHIL069 wrote:
      Shane001 wrote:Second time, accelerating out of Hells Corner at Bathurst, belt snaps, pulls on the crank angle sensor wiring, broke the wire right down at the sensor, took us half the weekend to figure out why the car wouldn't run :evil:
      Same thing happened to me...but I was accelerating out of Hells Shopping Center :lol:
      :lol: