Fog Light Wiring

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Nath
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Fog Light Wiring

Post by Nath »

My front foggies finally arrived off ebay. After install the halos work fine but I can't figure out the wiring from the diagrams for the fog lights. I checked the cabling from the harness. It has wires for blinkers, parkers and fogs. Everything except the foggies work. Fuses are all fine.
Can anyone confirm wire colours for the fog lights? Keeping in mind it has had a facelift and there were no foglights there when I bought it. I hooked up to what looks like Black for ground and Red for + (although it's a faded red?? lol)

Just thought I'd ask on here before I get the multimeter back out again.

Cheers.
Nath
Apprentice

Re: Fog Light Wiring

Post by Nath »

Oh forgot to mention, haven't had a real good look at the switch yet either. I don't know if the circuit was good to start with so it's a long list of possibilities I guess.
Parkers work when fog light switch is on.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Your switch will be buggered - common issue. Remove switch, unplug and check for burn/scorch marks on the back of the switch.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Nath
    Apprentice

Post by Nath »

I suspected the switch, just looked at it. No burn marks at all. Tested with multimeter, all good. I'm a little stumped now.
    Might have to do a wire trace. Not looking forward to that. I hate wiring. Stabbed myself twice last night, almost burnt myself with solder too, always having fun.
    Nath
    Apprentice

Post by Nath »

dstocks wrote:Your switch will be buggered - common issue. Remove switch, unplug and check for burn/scorch marks on the back of the switch.
    Well you were right, yet again. Turns out you can never trust a simple continuity check. Sure it flows power, just not enough to ignite the parkers. I noticed the contact points on the little sea-saw like actuator inside the fog light switch were pretty corroded so I filed them back a little. Check with ohm meter instead of stupid buzzer for better accuracy and hey presto it all works.

Wasted a little time checking wiring but I went with my gut and followed your advice.
    Cheers dstocks :D
    Attachments
    Halos
    Halos
    20140222_194740.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 284 times
    Foggies
    Foggies
    20140222_194708.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 284 times
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Where did you grab those foggies from? And what are you using for the small lights the bottom vents?
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Looks mint 8)

I wouldn't rely on that switch for long though, most of us have supplemented it by adding a relay in behind it. The switch on its own will burn out.
    Technikhaus
    Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Looks good!
    I always thought about putting little lights in the small holes, I'm guessing they're used as parkers?
    Man '96 FTO GPX
    Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
    Man '90 MR2 GT
    Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
    Nath
    Apprentice

Post by Nath »

Little lights are just the parkers, bought the LED ones though.
    I got the fog lights off ebay with some help from dstocks.

I have a fused relay ready to put in now that I got the switch working :-) I don't want further issues.