BC V1 PillowBall Upper Mount + More

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

BC V1 PillowBall Upper Mount + More

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

I was going to put this in the wanted to buy section but it turned more into a long ass question more than wanting to buy something :lol:

but apparently my drivers side Pillowball upper mount is dead on my coilover. and shop told me they can be replaced but can't get it because they are tein dealers and it would take them forever to trace one down for me, so i guess i'm here to see if anyones got anything? or some advice or recommendations on what i should do.

(Will this cause loud rattling noises like somethings loose in the suspension tower?) (Checked all nuts and bolts and their tight)

It will be going back on Monday when they open again. It was in there wednesday for some bushes and for them to "tune" the coilovers now it makes horrible noises :( on drivers side only i can also feel it when it goes over a bumps definitely coming from drivers side.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: BC V1 PillowBall Upper Mount + More

Post by Daniel2019 »

Eh, just replace them.

From memory Bennoz had the same issue and swapped them out. Basically same price as doing all 4 and you get new coilovers me thinks.

(Also he swapped them and did height adjustment in like 30 minutes in front of us, lol)
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

hmm new set you say, i don't think i could fork out $1300 for new set :\ lol these aren't that old apparently. how long do they usually last?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Think Bennoz' lasted like 7-8 years?

Maybe I'm getting mixed up here actually, he may have had a different issue. Will wait for him to tell me I'm :geny: retard that's wrong again :lol:

*braces for impact*
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

Haha thats ok man, :D These are roughly 2-3 years i believe, its only the drivers side being a pain.
Hey. Hey fella..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah mine lasted years. By the time they died, so had the coilovers, just replaced the whole kit & kaboodle.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

If the mechanics tuned them and then they starting making noise/rattle, then it is something they done.
If they had them pulled apart I'll bet they put them back together wrong, a shop did this to mine after a rebuild and it took me ages to work out the problem.

In the following pic you will see 2 red arrows pointing at holes in the upper and lower spring cradles, these 2 holes need to line up one directly above the other.
You will note that I pointed out 2 moar holes in the upper cradle with blue arrows, you have to make sure you don't line these 2 up with the lower hole.
DSC_2185.jpg
If these holes aren't lined up then the springs can move within the cradles making rattling/cracking metal to metal noise, it is also possable to feel the spring moving from your steering wheel.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

If these holes aren't lined up then the springs can move within the cradles making rattling/cracking metal to metal noise, it is also possable to feel the spring moving from your steering wheel.
Yeah i can feel this, but mine look really different to those :\

This probably means nothing, and ignore the arrow in the pic. they've moved them quiet far from where they were and looked like they went at it with a screw driver and sorta damaged (Light) the tops. but if you can see anything that isn't right! let me know.

This is Fulcrum btw. woulda thought they were pretty good :|

And since bc's home page wont load,

http://justjap.com/index.php/bc-racing- ... i-fto.html
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

The part I'm showing you in my pic is further down the strut, under the pillow mount and under the wheel arch. On top and bottom of the spring.

BTW, mine were put back together by Fulcrum too. :roll:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Here are some pics of Bennoz's struts with pillow mounts.

The red arrows in this one points to the cradles that need to be lined up and the blue arrow points to the pillow mount that you can see in your pics.
As you can see the spring cradle is below the pillow mount
dsc01093mediumik6.jpg
dsc01093mediumik6.jpg (434.25 KiB) Viewed 305 times
This pic again shows the hole that needs to be lined up with the hole in the lower spring cradle...
dsc01088mediumsj8.jpg
dsc01088mediumsj8.jpg (399.45 KiB) Viewed 305 times
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

This might not be your issue but it is worth a look, just in case. :D
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

PHIL069 wrote:This might not be your issue but it is worth a look, just in case. :D
Thanks for your help Phil! yeah i just took it back out for a drive, honestly it sounds like the spring isn't attached and it just bounces around over bumps, i dont notice any thing unsual with handling but its pretty damn loud

another way to describe the noise could be if it wasn't bolted in on top and the whole unit is just bouncing up and down :lol: but its definatly not that.

Might take the wheel off and inspect it some more, i don't want to play with it too much because i want them to fix it and they probably won't if i do something to it. but i'll give looking and comparing pics to the car see what i find!
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

Alright, so i jacked her up and took off wheel and inspected, i can't really see anything unusual, everything is tight and lined up. one thing i did notice though, is that the drivers side is quiet rocky and if you push on the car it goes up and down where the other side is rock solid. so maybe thats something? iunno i guess i will just have to wait till Monday when i take it back in and go from there.
Hey. Hey fella..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Might wanna check the 2 lower bolts where it hooks onto the hub. Might have left them loose.
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

Went over everything and checked all tight, the big nut under the damper adjuster, where he's set it to stop the popping noise wasn't right and that's what was making the noise! for future reference. (He basically just tightened it right up for now)

Im also up for two pillowball mounts still, but the guy said he knows a bloke that deals with bc's from byron bay. so little bit happier now lol
Hey. Hey fella..
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Option one deals with bc as well and they r in Hamilton
JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

silverGPX wrote:Option one deals with bc as well and they r in Hamilton
cheers man! your awesome :) :P