need some assurance

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Chebus
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

need some assurance

Post by Chebus »

Trying to take out drive shafts from gearbox, do i just put a pry bar between CV cup and gearbox then push? how hard should it be too come out?

Also removing front hubs from the ball joint, using a piece of wood on the bolt then air hammer on that, doesnt seem to be moving. Am i just terrible at this or should i do something else?
any and all help please.
Bennoz
National President

Re: need some assurance

Post by Bennoz »

Yes, pry bar between CV cup & box. The drivers side is a sh*t load easier to pop than the passenger. What you can do, is once you've popped the drivers side out (and be prepared with a bucket for oil, because it will piss out everywhere) is then (and this is pending the fact you have a standard diff) use a long thin bar, I use a curtain rail, slide it into the box on the drivers side & give it a couple of whacks to pop out the passenger side.

For ball joints, be prepared to sacrifice the nut. Wind out out till its a few threads above the top of the ball joint, and start whacking, not with a piece of wood, but a big bit of steel. Again, I use an old mini gearbox layshaft. It'll be in f*cking tight. I also recommend you leave the bolts in where the strut meets the hub, gives it a leverage point when belting the nut on top of the ball joint.
Chebus
Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

awesome, ill try that with the drive shafts. :cheers: + e-peen as usual

Got the hubs off just then. had to smack the knuckle something fierce to get the bolt to come out. special thanks to ericthecarguy for that one :P
Chebus
Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

got the driver side shaft out by prying it, but then came the good/bad news. there is a shaft in the way to poke out the passenger side, would that be a LSD? :D

not sure if good or bad but the passenger side boot was torn in two so i pulled out the CV and all thats left is the cup. but that motherfucker is stuck in there, had a rope around it with 3 people pulling and a screwdriver at 180 degrees trying to pry it, and still it didnt come out..... :x
Ill try again tomorrow.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Ive managed to pop the PS CV with a large flat head screwdriver and a rubber mallet.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Sahin
    HULK

Post by Sahin »

You got an LSD ya c**t
    Chebus
    Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

Sahin wrote:You got an LSD ya c**t
    WOOOOO! lucky me, now just need to 6a13tt then ill get use from it
    FTOwnage
    Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

I used a pry bar to get mine out and as it let go it clocked right in the nose.
    FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)