Zapping/rapid clicking sound

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO-Love-Affair
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Zapping/rapid clicking sound

Post by FTO-Love-Affair »

So I've noticed after long trips the FTO makes a rapid clicking/ constant zapping type sound, and each trip it gets louder. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the top of the motor. Any ideas on what it could be?
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: Zapping/rapid clicking sound

Post by dstocks »

Tappets. Common issue, nothing to be concerned about. Wont hurt anything, just noisy. You can get them adjusted and the noise will disappear, but its reasonably expensive and will eventually come back. Better to get done when you are undertaking a major service.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    FTO-Love-Affair
    Apprentice

Post by FTO-Love-Affair »

It seems different to the usual sound of the tappets though. The car has sounded tappety ever since I've owned it at least, but this sound is new. I looked through it and narrowed it down to the top left of the engine, I'll post a photo tomorrow. If I'm right, if you're sitting and increase the engine speed the sound of the tappety click-click sound should vary with the engine speed yeah? This sound doesn't vary in speed with engine speed and seems very rapid, and has only been a recent thing. I could be over listening to it and hearing things... I'll have my mechanic check it out when I put it in for a service in the winter. I'd send it in sooner, but my mechanic is in Dubbo, and I'm currently living in Canberra for uni.

Also, whilst I think of it, a while ago I used Rislone High Km Compression repair with Ring Seal to stop the excessive oil use of my engine. I think it did the job pretty well, but thought that I'd ask if there are any specific brands that you'd recommend as it is coming up to give another dose and I'm all out. Thanks :)
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I'm currently living in Canberra for uni.
    I work in Canberra. I can point you at a great mechanic in Belconnen if that suits. I used to use them when I lived there. They used to do quite a few FTO's and would probably do a quick diagnosis for nothing if you are lucky. You shouldhave come to the bonfire. You were close...
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      spetz
      Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Is it MIVEC?
      As the non-MIVEC has hydraulic tappets. On another car with hydraulic tappets I used Wynns oil treatment and it went silent.

Dwayne, who is this mechanic?
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Total Traction in Belconnen.
        ObsidianRadio
        Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

f**king tappets :lol:
        Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
        http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU