Need some help installing aftermarket HIDs

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

TomHenman
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Need some help installing aftermarket HIDs

Post by TomHenman »

So my HID replacements finally came and I'm currently sitting outside with the bumper off and lights out a bit confused as to where everything is meant to go..

Anyone have any experience replacing the existing version R HIDs that could shed some light on what goes where?
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Re: Need some help installing aftermarket HIDs

Post by Vectose »

What exactly are you replacing? Bulbs?
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
TomHenman
Grease Monkey

Post by TomHenman »

The bulbs and ballasts

This is where I'm having trouble, does this end of the wiring need to be attached to the plug on the existing ballast?

(ballast plug)

and if so how is it attached? cut and soldered?

And also, does the actual bulb sit behind this section? held on by the 3 hexagonal screws?

Sorry for the retarded questions..
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

if you are installing completely new ballasts you need to get rid of the old ones. Can't have two sets of ballasts. And what bulbs did you buy? The one's in the photo don't look right to me. (From what I can see/remember)

Factory HID bulbs are D2S

If you flip the light upside down I think there should be a rectangular panel held on with torx bolts. Don't remember if you need to remove the back panel as well.
Bennoz wrote:
TomHenman
Grease Monkey

Post by TomHenman »

Vectose wrote:if you are installing completely new ballasts you need to get rid of the old ones. Can't have two sets of ballasts. And what bulbs did you buy? The one's in the photo don't look right to me. (From what I can see/remember)

Factory HID bulbs are D2S

If you flip the light upside down I think there should be a rectangular panel held on with torx bolts. Don't remember if you need to remove the back panel as well.
I understand that I'm replacing the ballast in its entirety but how do I connect the highlighted wires into the plug that the equivalent from the existing ballast used to connect to?

TomHenman
Grease Monkey

Post by TomHenman »

and yeah they are D2S
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

If the new bulb holder fits in the factory spot the only thing you actually need to modify is the wiring from the harness to the ballast.

And what I would do is cut the wiring off the old ballast to utilize the factory plug then solder the new ballast's power input to that plug. As I do not believe in cutting the factory harness. By all means you could just cut the plug off and solder it directly but I don't like doing that.

If the new bulb holder does not fit, you will need to pull the bulb out of it (Unless its a complete unit and not a true D2S bulb) and utilize the factory wiring again and chop it off at the ballast and solder the new wires to it.

Bit hard to explain what to do exactly without showing you though.
Bennoz wrote: