Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverx
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

N gear flashing

Post by silverx »

hi guys
just had my car for few days, it's 94 gpx and neutral gear comes out flashing this morning as i was driving to work :( absolutely gutted to have issue just few days having it

anywho, had a look around forums and stuff and find out it could be speed and output sensors. I searched this forum and found guide to replace/clean it but because it was so old the websites that host those guides dont seem to exists anymore or content has been deleted

anyone has or knows guides with pictures and willing to share that with me?

cheers
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Re: N gear flashing

Post by Vectose »

First thing to do before replacing anything is check the error codes. Codes will tell you which sensors have failed so you aren't replacing working ones.. Theres a guide on this forum on how to do it.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Would also suggest doing a fluid & filter change as one of your first steps to diagnose. These boxes can be sensitive to old / dirty fluid.
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

just did another test drive during lunch and the flashing now disappear... what the...
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Vectose wrote:First thing to do before replacing anything is check the error codes. Codes will tell you which sensors have failed so you aren't replacing working ones.. Theres a guide on this forum on how to do it.
yeah saw that, will probably give it a go... shame it's not obd2 compliant as i have a bluetooth one coming. looks like only evoscan (usb cable to pc) is the only solution. well that other manual method is also solution
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Bennoz wrote:Would also suggest doing a fluid & filter change as one of your first steps to diagnose. These boxes can be sensitive to old / dirty fluid.
saw that old post by jono about this, however again, the photos are missing... :( anyone has got any photo guide for this?

i am absolutely useless with cars but bought this car to 'learn' more things so will attempt to diy most of the stuffs. should have picked up a bit newer car i guess where the diy guides are more readily available :) however i have always wanted an fto :P
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Well it would help if people didn't use imageshack. *Looks at Bennoz* :lol:

But changing the fluid is pretty simple. Much like an oil change.

You can download the workshop manuals below. They're not as simple as a step by step guide but give you pretty much all the info you need.

http://ftoaustralia.com/downloads/workshop1.zip
http://ftoaustralia.com/downloads/workshop2.zip
Bennoz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Vectose wrote:Well it would help if people didn't use imageshack. *Looks at Bennoz*
F*ckers went all commercial & wanted money. F*ck 'em! :x
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Vectose wrote:Well it would help if people didn't use imageshack. *Looks at Bennoz* :lol:

But changing the fluid is pretty simple. Much like an oil change.

You can download the workshop manuals below. They're not as simple as a step by step guide but give you pretty much all the info you need.

http://ftoaustralia.com/downloads/workshop1.zip
http://ftoaustralia.com/downloads/workshop2.zip
cheers for that although i think it's having the same issue :) (cant seem to download it)

i guess there is no guarantee anything on internet will last forever unless it's picture of high school students drunk wasted and naked. was trying to access ireland (or is it scotland?) fto forum seems to be wealth of information but that forum has gone offline now
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Those manuals are still up and available to download as theyre hosted on this forum.
Bennoz wrote:
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Vectose wrote:Those manuals are still up and available to download as theyre hosted on this forum.
cheers i have successfully downloaded them

i checked the transmission fluid seems ok. it's red translucent in color and smell like oil (no burnt smell). i dont know much about car but i guess reading somewhere that's how the look and smell should be (instead of black and burnt)

i think there are more sinister issues with it. i hope it's the input or output sensors. I read the manual (step 23-52) however it's pretty hard to visualise that in the real view

i found this thread http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14492 but all the images are missing

just wondering if anyone has pictures for this guide?

regards
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Vectose wrote:First thing to do before replacing anything is check the error codes. Codes will tell you which sensors have failed so you aren't replacing working ones.. Theres a guide on this forum on how to do it.
i found that guide. but a little bit confused about 'grounding' that one wire. what wire do i use here and how do i 'ground' it

i know.. i am real noob
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You grab a piece of wire that fits into the pin, insert it into the pin on the plug and then connect the other end of that wire to bare metal on the car or a screw/bolt that goes in to the chassis.
Bennoz wrote:
prageeth
Apprentice

Post by prageeth »

I had the same issue with one of FTOs. N was blinking and gears stayed in 3rd gear. This error stopped when car is restarted. I even took the car to Sydney Aston Martin Service Centre where they couldn't find the issue. I did change / service gear box but didn't have any luck with that.
Finally I got this fixed for $250 in Parramatta. They found out it to be a faulty speed sensor.
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Vectose wrote:You grab a piece of wire that fits into the pin, insert it into the pin on the plug and then connect the other end of that wire to bare metal on the car or a screw/bolt that goes in to the chassis.
oh ok cheers for that.. will try that tonight. i have evoscan coming too which hopefully will help diagnosing other issues

cant believe my luck though, 3rd day owning the car and have to fix it.. i know this is supposed to be my 'learning' car but still that's just too soon :D
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

prageeth wrote:I had the same issue with one of FTOs. N was blinking and gears stayed in 3rd gear. This error stopped when car is restarted. I even took the car to Sydney Aston Martin Service Centre where they couldn't find the issue. I did change / service gear box but didn't have any luck with that.
Finally I got this fixed for $250 in Parramatta. They found out it to be a faulty speed sensor.
yeah seems to be common issue. I tried getting to it last night but not knowing what to look for (some guides mentioned about removing battery tray to see them) i couldnt work out which one is which

i reset the ecu last night and took it for a drive for 30 mins or so (after leaving it idle for 20 mins). didnt have any issues. This morning drove it to work again and voila it returned. fml.

just realised it only happens when i go to work in the morning, probably hating it as much as i do :D
prageeth
Apprentice

Post by prageeth »

I have noticed it happened when car is warmed up. I used to drive first 1/2 hour with no issues. I used to be able to manually change the gears between 3 and 4 while N is flashing. When I stopped at the lights, car started to run from 3rd gear then 4th. Good luck with fixing it, if you know what you are doing it shouldn't be difficult.
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

prageeth wrote:I have noticed it happened when car is warmed up. I used to drive first 1/2 hour with no issues. I used to be able to manually change the gears between 3 and 4 while N is flashing. When I stopped at the lights, car started to run from 3rd gear then 4th. Good luck with fixing it, if you know what you are doing it shouldn't be difficult.

funny i noticed the same thing. looks only happened in the morning or afternoon too when the weather is a little hot

anyway so far this car has cause lots of issues :( i think the rear engine mount is broken and there is leaking oil from somewhere in the engine, suspected timing seal so will probably have to replace timing belt while we are there

FML
silverx
Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Ok been busy this morning. I check the ecu status before starting any work. What i got is flashing n gear. Twice long and twice short flash. I assume this is code 22 yeah? And i also assume since it's the gear that flash not the engine so this indicate input shaft error

I took out the battery tray and remove the connector but i have no idea how to remove the sensor

It doesnt seem to be removable and seems to be stuck or built in ?

Anyone can help me on how to remove this sensor?

Cheers
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Drink 8 beers, remove the bolt, yank it hard. Wait. what.