A click pop sound when brake pedal released

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

A click pop sound when brake pedal released

Post by bjk »

So for a few weeks I've found that when I come to a stop at an intersection say, and I go to release the brake, there is a sort of popping or clicking sound as it disengages. It seems to be coming predominantly from the pedal itself, though I think I have heard it come from outside the car as well. It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't matter how far I push the pedal in.

Braking capability seems to be normal, otherwise. Tim sprayed under the pedal assembly a couple days ago, but it's still there.

Anyone had this happen before?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: A click pop sound when brake pedal released

Post by PHIL069 »

It could be the...
Master cylinder, starting to sieze up and popping back to release position...Fix = replace.
or
Brake booster, again starting to sieze up or the rubber boot on the back of it...Fix = replace unit or rubber boot.
or
Caliper pistons, again starting to sieze up...Fix = rebuild.
or
Caliper bolts (the ones that the caliper slides on), again starting to sieze up...Fix = Clean and grease.

You really need to narrow down the source of the noise, either by...
Listening closely to each part as someone operates the brakes.
or
Use a stethascope (or metal rod/metal through screwdriver/breaker bar etc) to listen to each part as someones operates the brakes.
or
Feel each part with your hand as someone operates the brakes, you should be able to feel the sound.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
bjk
Totes

Re: A click pop sound when brake pedal released

Post by bjk »

I can sort of already feel I it through the pedal. But unfortunately it seems to only do it when in Drive. It was less noticeable on my drive to work today, but still present.