Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverx
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

gearbox needs reconditioning?

Post by silverx »

hi guys
as some of you probably aware, i was having issue with my input shaft sensor on my car. I took out the sensor twice now and everytime i took it out i noticed that there are craps on the sensor like black dusts around it. Everytime i cleaned it up and put it back on the car will be driving fine until few days then the problem return

i am waiting for my speed sensor to arrive from sydney however in the mean time this is all i can do at the moment but what concerns me is the fact these junks on the sensor when i took it out. i suspect i will get the same issue with the new sensor

so i was thinking to powerflush my gearbox oil and hopefully it will clean the gunk inside. I spoke to mitsi dealer but they reckon it could be something more sinister like bearing inside has broken down or something and the gearbox will need to be reconditioned. they didnt really talk about price but i just want to be prepared before meeting them next week

have you guys had the gearbox reconditioned and how much did it set you back?

cheers
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: gearbox needs reconditioning?

Post by dstocks »

Buy a 2nd hand one rather than getting it reconditioned. Reconditioning one will cost you a few thousand dollars. I have 2 2nd hand ones. You can have one for $200 or source one somewhere else. Labor will cost you a bit to change it over, but MUCH cheaper than reconditioning. I got fleeced 4.5K to get my Legnum one rebuilt and would never go there again.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Vectose
    Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Don't listen to anything Mitsubishi tell you without getting a second opinion.

They'll just try and take you for a ride. If I were you I would just replace the sensor and go from there.

The gunk on the sensor would most likely just be baked on oil. Which isn't usually much to worry about.
    Bennoz wrote:
    Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
    A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
    silverx
    Apprentice

Post by silverx »

dstocks wrote:Buy a 2nd hand one rather than getting it reconditioned. Reconditioning one will cost you a few thousand dollars. I have 2 2nd hand ones. You can have one for $200 or source one somewhere else. Labor will cost you a bit to change it over, but MUCH cheaper than reconditioning. I got fleeced 4.5K to get my Legnum one rebuilt and would never go there again.
    Hi mate cheers for that. It's triptonic one although i actually prefer manual. If i need to replace the gearbox you reckon it's worth to convert it to manual at the same time? How much does it cost normally to replace gearbox?
    Cheers
    silverx
    Apprentice

Post by silverx »

Vectose wrote:Don't listen to anything Mitsubishi tell you without getting a second opinion.

They'll just try and take you for a ride. If I were you I would just replace the sensor and go from there.

The gunk on the sensor would most likely just be baked on oil. Which isn't usually much to worry about.
    Yeah he also said the same to be fair although he said it's worth to test the oil as they can figure out the metal content in it or something to know if recon is needed. I think ill go down replacing the gearbox if they told me recondition is needed
    cheers guys
    Vectose
    Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

The problem with some mechanics, especially dealerships, is they try and con you into thinking your car needs work that it doesn't actually need. Sometimes they won't even do the work and charge you for it.

Like I said, I would get a second opinion before going ahead with any gearbox rebuilds/swaps.

Also, why are you going to Mitsubishi?
    Chances are they know little about FTOs anyway, as they weren't sold in the Australian market.

I would recommend finding a regular mechanic that knows his stuff, best way to do that is by word of mouth.
    Bennoz wrote:
    Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
    A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Hi mate cheers for that. It's triptonic one although i actually prefer manual. If i need to replace the gearbox you reckon it's worth to convert it to manual at the same time? How much does it cost normally to replace gearbox?
    Cheers
    You can do a manual conversion and it has been done by a number of club members. You do need a few parts other than the gearbox to make it work (e.g. pedals, cluster, shifter,cables, slave cylinder etc). Also a small amount of rewiring is required. Not a particularly difficult job, but not as simple as just bolting on the manual box. There are a number of threads on the forum that cover this, just do a search.

Vectose is right about a 2nd opinion though. Get that done before proceeding to boxout.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      silverx
      Apprentice

Post by silverx »

cheers guys, i will wait patiently for my sensor to arrive and will take it from there. fingers crossed it's just the sensor issue