Auto GPX jerky at low speeds

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

icelus
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Auto GPX jerky at low speeds

Post by icelus »

hi all, as what it says, its been bugging me for a while but never got round doing it. it started happening after i got ripped off when i had to change the stepper motor

it happens only when i am in first gear at really low speeds, its as though the whole car is going to stall.

i checked the old threads, it mentions that i should check the ISC or TPS, but ive no idea how to check either. would anyone be able to help me out? willing to throw in a case of beer or something to get it fixed
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Auto GPX jerky at low speeds

Post by spetz »

By stepper motor you mean you changed the idle speed control valve and then this started happening?

I would say this is the most likely culprit though.
I've heard that to test it, people disconnect the ISC (when the car is idling at normal revs) and then take it for a drive etc.
I am not sure if this causes any error code problems, but investigate further into doing this as a test.
icelus
Apprentice

Post by icelus »

hi spetz!

tbh, ive got no idea what was changed, this happened 2 years ago when the car died while waiting to turn at a junction. think some people here might remember how i got charged like 600 bucks to have some random monkey diagnose the problem and they mentioned they changed the stepper motor.
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

I've kinda got this too...but I haven't given it much thought. The car doesn't stall (lol) and it isn't too bad, you just gotta stamp on the throttle to get it into 2nd gear a bit more than you would say...a Camry...I haven't fixed it because it hasn't been an issue. Still runs, that's all that matters.
icelus
Apprentice

Post by icelus »

hahaha, looks like you have the same problem too? true that, but i get scared as hell because it feels like its coughing its last few breaths. i'll let you know if i miraculously can sort this sh*t out.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Start by changing the fluid. These trannys are quite sensitive to the quality of lube
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

Yep I can second that, whenever I red-lined the FTO once the exhaust note sounded way deeper and very bad as if it was broken and when braked it would stutter and pulsate. After transmission fluid was changed she was right as rain again.