Timing Belt Swap

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Timing Belt Swap

Post by spetz »

It may be that the BMC is closer to the engine in a Lancer than it is in an FTO.
There is absolutely no way it is coming off the way it is. I am hoping lifting the motor a few cm will allow it to come off, alternatively the BMC is coming off :(
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Hey guys,

Does the harmonic balancer only go back one way, or do I need to mark its position prior to removing so I can installed back that way?
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

It only goes on one way, it has a keyway that it slots into
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

You will get into trouble while doing the belt imo. To make it easier for yourself, Get the tensioner tool and the cam tool to remove the cams as that will make your job way easier. If you need the tensioner tool, I can post to you as I highly doubt ill need to again!

Gates have fto timing kits! I paid $120 trade for it. Repco sell them, they will go through nasons to source the mivec kit for you.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Do you mean the tool that will go on the tensioner pulley to tighten the belt before I release the hydraulic tensioner? If so I would really appreciate it if you don't need it.

All the cams are out now anyway, they journals are being polished as 1 had a score in it.

One weird thing... I will look again... but I could not find any marking on the crank gear to line up the crank for fitting the timing belt. I've had a look at the manual and will be looking at the car again but I just couldn't see anything. Could that crank gear be installed the wrong way such that the marking is facing the engine and hence I cannot see it?

I am just about to start replacing all the valve stem seals. I took ages to get the timing belt off, camshafts out, cam trays out etc.
I am really slow but meticulous with car work so I think I am still about 40+ hours from finishing all this.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

yep the tensioning tool. the mark on balancer is on the plate behind the balancer where the crank sensor is

pm me your address
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Thanks Payaya, I will look for the timing mark again as the cams have now been removed and the engine will surely end up spinning while I work on it.

PM sent
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

dont spin it too much as its an interference engine.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The cams are out so all the valves are in the closed position so being an interference engine doesn't matter at this stage.

I'll have a look for those marking. I saw the ones on the engine but I couldn't see the one on the actual crank gear
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Hey guys, is it possible to tighten the offset tensioner bearing by hand?

The manual states to tighten it onto the timing belt by 3-5nm before securing the bolt that goes through it.

3-5nm is basically hand tight and at this stage I do not have the tool nor can I find it as Meek is sold out.

Any suggestions?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

use a good set of circlip pliers f**k the tool from meek
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

The prongs on the tool are a bit too short
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)