Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

flateric
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

GPX 4speed gearbox issues

Post by flateric »

Hi Guys,

I have started making miles with my GPX after a couple of years doing repairs / refit but i'm not really confident that my 4speed tiptronic is working correctly.

It sometimes bangs into drive like if the engine would turn itself around in the engine bay. Sometimes shifting is going very smooth. The banging already costed an rear engine mount and i don't want to mess up anything else...

The other issue is that i'm noticing vibration while accelerating between 20mph to 50mph. At 80mph it's starting again at high frequency with a humming sound and it won't stop until you take your foot of the gas. Could this be the torque convertor ?

The color of the fluid is red and has been changed 1500 miles ago.

can you advise ?
if it doesn't brake just hit the gas
----------------------------------------
Audi A6 avant 1.9 tdi - 175HP
Honda CRX 1986 - 130 HP
Mitsubishi FTO 1996 - 200HP
Nacho
Oldtimer

Re: GPX 4speed gearbox issues

Post by Nacho »

First thing to check is the type of transmission fluid whether it's suitable for the FTO and see if it will go away

Unfortunately when I encountered banging it was one of two things:

Speed sensor were on the way out and tranny was banging in between shifts and then eventually going into limp mode

Other time was torque converter was on the way out and it was only a matter of time. Hopefully for your sake it's the other ones
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I have 2 spare tip boxes in the shed. If it comes to needing a replacement, you can have one for $250 + freight(if required)
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    evo-gsr
    Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

Bargain ^^ !!