Engine Block Finish - Painted?

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Nacho
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Engine Block Finish - Painted?

Post by Nacho »

I've exhausted my googling and searches so now I have to ask....is the FTO engine block painted out of the factory?

If not, what finish do you think it would be to prevent rust and corrosion?

And for an added bonus that I can't find an answer for.......are all engines for cars painted out of the factory?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Re: Engine Block Finish - Painted?

Post by getonit »

Nacho wrote:I've exhausted my googling and searches so now I have to ask....is the FTO engine block painted out of the factory?
I would say so.
Nacho wrote:If not, what finish do you think it would be to prevent rust and corrosion?
I would use an epoxy 2pak primer to seal and then a decent urethane colour of your choice over the top. Whilst epoxy is 100% seal it does chalk up with age so a weather type paint over the top is needed.
Nacho wrote:And for an added bonus that I can't find an answer for.......are all engines for cars painted out of the factory?
Again, i would say so. though it would be a basic flow over.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

I should elaborate more. If I soda blast the engine block to remove all the oil/dirt/grime will it start corroding after a while?

Vectose - you recently soda blasted your cylinder head.......did you seal it with anything? Repaint?

I don't particularly want to repaint my block.....just not spend 400 hours degreasing and brushing it again like the last engine. The soda blaster is so much faster but has been known to remove paint.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Nacho wrote:I should elaborate more. If I soda blast the engine block to remove all the oil/dirt/grime will it start corroding after a while?
If you soda blast it you will also remove the paint. All metal substrates are prone to corrosion. What answer are you looking for?
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The engine is painted from factory yes.

Not all engine are since aluminum doesn't corrode that easily.
Cast iron (as is in this case) does corrode easily and you shouldn't leave it unprotected.

You don't need to paint your heads as they are aluminum
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Alluminium corrodes a lot more quickly than iron, but the oxide layer that builds up prevents further corrosion.
LED ALL the things.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Corrosion in the sense of the metal's reaction to oxygen (ie, oxidation) does not happen to aluminum more quickly.

Bare aluminum can remain clean for a long time whereas bare metals like iron or steel react to oxygen quite quickly
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Sorry the answer I'm looking for is that if I soda blast the block do I need to basically refinish/paint the block again?

So for example if I soda blast the head and decide to just leave it....am I expecting to see white rust in a few weeks like many people have on the intake plenums? Or an ever better example....if I soda blast the plenum can I leave as is? Or do I need to reprime and paint again?

I hope this makes sense
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

If you soda blast the aluminum it should be ok to leave as is, usually acid washes etc will promote the white rust as you say. Giving it a wipe over with kero will help keep the corrosion at bay.
As for the block, it is cast so if you blast it and remove any paint it will corrode quickly. Not that it will rust through, just looks ugly and promotes more rust.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Thanks mate that's what I needed to know. I got paranoid and reprimed and painted the blasted bits anyway (plenum,tb, mounts, etc.)

But I actually didn't blast the whole block in the end......just hung the engine in the driveway and went to town 4 cans of degreaser and 6 hours later.......engine looked mint!