Car wont start after engine put back in

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Car wont start after engine put back in

Post by Rob Furniss »

Put the engine back in Rowans car after rebuild and manual conversion and it won't start.
There's power but just a click from the fuse box in the engine bay, doesn't try to turn over.
When we turn the key the dash goes off and the aircon display goes off until we let off the key.

Not sure where to start as loads got ripped out, not sure if something is missing even.
We've left the tip ecu in place and connected after the manual conversion but didn't mess with the wiring on the gearbox for the reverse sensor as he's always found that annoying anyway.
He's got his old dial cluster still in place too.
Emanage lights come on.

He also moved the battery to the boot prior but that was all working before, power block in the engine bay does have power to it, just hope we haven't shorted something somewhere.
Did an error code check - nothing just flashing as normal.
Also found an old immobiliser although not sure this has ever worked as he doesn't have a fob but I guess this could be involved too.

Not hearing the fuel pump and he's got a noisy (walbro) one so think we would hear it, wondering if it's the fuel pump relay behind the stereo area but even so i'd have thought it would be trying to crank the engine still wouldn't it?
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Re: Car wont start after engine put back in

Post by getonit »

Rob Furniss wrote:Put the engine back in Rowans car after rebuild and manual conversion and it won't start.
There's power but just a click from the fuse box in the engine bay, doesn't try to turn over.
When we turn the key the dash goes off and the aircon display goes off until we let off the key.

Not sure where to start as loads got ripped out, not sure if something is missing even.
We've left the tip ecu in place and connected after the manual conversion but didn't mess with the wiring on the gearbox for the reverse sensor as he's always found that annoying anyway.
He's got his old dial cluster still in place too.
Emanage lights come on.

He also moved the battery to the boot prior but that was all working before, power block in the engine bay does have power to it, just hope we haven't shorted something somewhere.
Did an error code check - nothing just flashing as normal.
Also found an old immobiliser although not sure this has ever worked as he doesn't have a fob but I guess this could be involved too.
Tried unplugging the auto Ecu?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

For me, it wouldn't start without the Auto ECU, so if this was removed as part of the manual conversion, I would suggest plugging it back in.

Or your battery is flat :)
Me? Bitter? f**k no. I think it's hilarious.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Tried it without the auto ecu plugged in first.
Charged the battery overnight first too.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: Car wont start after engine put back in - FIXED

Post by Rob Furniss »

After manual conversion there are about 3 connectors from the gearbox left hanging, does anything need to be done with them?

Ok two wires on the large black connector that were on the auto box had to be joined, must have missed that.
It now turns over, although I've disconnected the crank sensor so it doesn't start as he's temporarily removed the turbo to fit the - gear selector bracket that he's waiting for (didn't know there was one). Don't want oil pissing everywhere from his feed pipe.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Car probably thinks it's not in park you'd have to ground that wire that says it's in park
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Yeah, you need to bridge the wires for the inhibitor switch.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)