Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lal
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Heater core --> make up???

Post by lal »

Hi All,
unfortuntely, my heater core is leaking... therefore the whole front dash has to be taken off in order to put a new one in or recondition the existing..

which brings me to my question... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER THE ACTUAL CORE IS MADE OF BRASS, COPPER, ALUMINIUM OR PLASTIC?

If it's brass or copper, it can be repaired.. but if it aluminium or plastic.. obviously not (even if it can, it'd probably be wiser to get a new one, as taking off the dash is a big job and you don't want to run that exercise again).
SO if it's aluminium.. i need to order it from Mitsubishi, if anyone knows... please reply ASAP :) ... so that i have the part ready when it's pulled apart... I'd hate the mechanics pull it apart during the weekend and find out we need to order it in as the core can't be fixed.

by the way, for your info, Northshore Mits. wants $544 for the new heater core! 8O :evil: add in cost of labour :evil: :evil: :evil:

thanks.
<FONT color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT size=2><FONT size=2>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT>
Sahin
HULK

Re: Heater core --> make up???

Post by Sahin »

Plastic mate
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Just degas the aircon and remove the evaporator to get access to the heatercore.

Easier than taking the dash out, bet you $20 that its not the actual heater core but its the pipes going into the heatercore.

There is no reason for the heatercore to break its not in the elements and its secure inside the car.

The pipes that connect onto the heatercore through the firewall are plastic. and they become brittle and can leak.

Its happened to me, so i got aftermarket brass pipes from demisterman in the UK.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

silverGPX wrote:Just degas the aircon and remove the evaporator to get access to the heatercore.

Easier than taking the dash out, bet you $20 that its not the actual heater core but its the pipes going into the heatercore.

There is no reason for the heatercore to break its not in the elements and its secure inside the car.

The pipes that connect onto the heatercore through the firewall are plastic. and they become brittle and can leak.

Its happened to me, so i got aftermarket brass pipes from demisterman in the UK.
But lal's car would have only been 8 years old in 2004? surely the heater pipes would be fine...
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

f**k, so many minutes of my life wasted :lol:
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Nup, the cores do leak and they are aluminium. If you want new genuine, I can beat that price easily. If you are happy with new aftermarket, go ebay.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    bjk
    Totes

Post by bjk »

You're getting pretty good at this Sahin. Considering taking up trolling as a profession?