Need help with your FTO? Click here

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Need help with your FTO? Click here

Post by Bennoz »

Our member 'dstocks' has been kind enough to provide an FTO reference website. It contains thousands of hints, tips, part numbers & breakdowns, part suppliers & other links to other FTO sites. Chances are, if you are looking for something - you'll find it here.

Click the picture to enter.

Note: If you've found something that isnt in here, let us know. PM myself or dstocks and we can add it.
Rosiebella
Grease Monkey

Problems with gear changing in an auto

Post by Rosiebella »

Hey everyone :)
I have tiptronic auto, Its nearly at its 200,000kms so it will need a service, i was wondering does anyone know why my FTO isn't sitting in the right gears. For example ill be doing 80kms and as soon as it goes down a hill it changes into third from fourth and the car sounds as if it is struggling. I know this isnt engine braking because it sounds more like a problem with the speed sensor. Also whenever I slow the car down and go about 5-10kms the car jolts forward repetively until i stop. If anyone has any idea what is going on and how much it will cost to fix the problem that would be fantastic :)
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: Need help with your FTO? Click here

Post by dstocks »

Well, if it the speed sensors, I can get them. Id be doing an oil change myself though. Tiptronic boxes are very picky about oil.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    CRIZM

Post by CRIZM »

Im looking to purchase an aftermarket heater matrix... are they good or bad, any thoughts or advice?
    viper-99
    Apprentice

Post by viper-99 »

I have a 1994 fto auto the tacho was not working when i brought it i have tried wiring a racing tacho but still nothing dose any one know how to fix this.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

You need an ignition failure sensor. I think I have a 2nd hand one
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      ZFL45H1
      Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

dstocks wrote:You need an ignition failure sensor. I think I have a 2nd hand one
      Would u have another one by any chance mate I'll get it off u on the weekend if u do
      gotta get there one day :)
      grogotion

Manual Gearbox problems.

Post by grogotion »

Hey I am having problems with my manual gearbox. I have lost third gear. Not sure what the problem would be here. Do I need a replacement gearbox or could it be another part that needs fixing or replacing. I think the gearbox part number is F5M42. I've heard that this is the same gearbox that is in the Mitsubishi lancer's later models, but not sure if this is true. Would greatly appreciate any help. I not overly mechanical minded so any assistance to point me in right direction would be great.
      silverGPX
      9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Gearbox selector bracket
      Sahin
      HULK

Re: Manual Gearbox problems.

Post by Sahin »

grogotion wrote:Hey I am having problems with my manual gearbox. I have lost third gear. Not sure what the problem would be here. Do I need a replacement gearbox or could it be another part that needs fixing or replacing. I think the gearbox part number is F5M42. I've heard that this is the same gearbox that is in the Mitsubishi lancer's later models, but not sure if this is true. Would greatly appreciate any help. I not overly mechanical minded so any assistance to point me in right direction would be great.
      When you say you've lost third gear do you mean it just won't go in?
      Sounds like you need a gear selector bracket...
      grogotion

Post by grogotion »

Sahin wrote:
      grogotion wrote:Hey I am having problems with my manual gearbox. I have lost third gear. Not sure what the problem would be here. Do I need a replacement gearbox or could it be another part that needs fixing or replacing. I think the gearbox part number is F5M42. I've heard that this is the same gearbox that is in the Mitsubishi lancer's later models, but not sure if this is true. Would greatly appreciate any help. I not overly mechanical minded so any assistance to point me in right direction would be great.
      When you say you've lost third gear do you mean it just won't go in?
      Sounds like you need a gear selector bracket...
      A gear box selector bracket has recently been installed. As I lost 2nd, 4th, and reverse previously. I physically couldnt get the gears in. Installation fixed this problem. This time the the gear feels like it goes in, but release clutch and it just revs. Been waiting for my dad to have a look at it, as he knows more about cars to me. He had a drive and found that, he was able to get the gear into 3rd, if he eases it in or feels (guides) it in, Then sometimes he couldnt engauge the fourth, yet no problems with any of the other gears. He believes that there may be some wear somewhere, or an adjustment needs making to select cable or the shift cable. I really wish he could have responded in this forum as he would have explained things better. Hope what I've said makes some sense with the relevent problem. Cheers all for you help :?
      NATFTO

Neutral Flashing - Speed sensor issue??

Post by NATFTO »

I am having problems with my tiptronic..... usually when i take off sometimes it will jerk into second gear and then jerk into third as I incease speed, then the neutral will flash and it wont change into fourth.

I think it might be the speed sensor? anyone have any ideas?

When I turn the car off and start it again it will work, but sometimes it just does the same thing.

Thank you xxx
      Daniel2019
      Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Do a search for "limp mode"
      I fix cars.
      Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
      bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
      BorepYano
      Forum Moderator

Re: Neutral Flashing - Speed sensor issue??

Post by BorepYano »

NATFTO wrote:I am having problems with my tiptronic..... usually when i take off sometimes it will jerk into second gear and then jerk into third as I incease speed, then the neutral will flash and it wont change into fourth.

When I turn the car off and start it again it will work, but sometimes it just does the same thing.

Thank you xxx
      Sounds exactly like what I had, mine ended up being one of the speed sensors (input or output), can't remember which one now though. :)

You can look up the error code, just search for the DIY
      kiz wrote:
      silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
      There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
      NATFTO

Neutral Flashing - Speed sensor issue??

Post by NATFTO »

excuse my ignorance, but how do I know what the error code is to look it up?
      BorepYano wrote:
      NATFTO wrote:I am having problems with my tiptronic..... usually when i take off sometimes it will jerk into second gear and then jerk into third as I incease speed, then the neutral will flash and it wont change into fourth.

Thank you xxx
      Sounds exactly like what I had, mine ended up being one of the speed sensors (input or output), can't remember which one now though. :)

You can look up the error code, just search for the DIY
      I am having problems with my tiptronic..... usually when i take off sometimes it will jerk into second gear and then jerk into third as I incease speed, then the neutral will flash and it wont change into fourth.

Thank you xxx
      BorepYano
      Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

The N light is flashing at you to tell you it's in limp home mode. (limp home mode = 3rd)

Here's the DIY on how to get the error code, and a list of what the codes mean.

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14667

Where abouts are you? maybe if you still have trouble with it, you can try convincing a local member to help?

edit:

actually, just re-read it, looks like you won't have to bother playing around with the diagnostic codes... what frequency is your light flashing at?

If you're in Brissy, and need to test out which sensor it is, let me know; my FTO is parked up anyway, so we can butcher it for test parts, temporarily.
      kiz wrote:
      silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
      There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
      reghunniford

Post by reghunniford »

My wife has a 94 FTO and I am trying to source an indicator toggle switch as hers has collapsed. Are they generic around that period or will I need to be very specific in my search. One wrecker said I only need the indicator switch but others say I need the whole thing including the wiper side. Sorry I am a car numpty.
      yeil

Post by yeil »

Hey guys all new to forum and owning an fto, not sure if im posting this in the right area haha but here goes..

So i picked my new car up today a 95 mivec manual fto
      While driving it i noticed that 5th gear had gone completely missing it was a little spongy(?) At first but still felt fine
      Then deiving it today and its just gone i cant find it at all
      Every other gear is perfectly fine, from the research i have done its the selector bracket?
      Few questions where could i source one of these and is it safe to keep driving the car or will it do further damage?
      Any help at all is greatly appreciated
      Thanks guys
      Daniel2019
      Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Wrong section kinda but meh. Probably selector, could also be something inside the box.
      I fix cars.
      Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
      bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
      yeil

Post by yeil »

Sorry about that ill figure my way around here soon enough
      Thank you for the reply i really appreciate it

I hope its nothing in the box, there was no sound at all made and no crunching or anything at all within the box
      Strange enough the gear seemed to have dissapeared out of the blue