EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits

Post by Rob Furniss »

I have been test fitting this afternoon, all looking good.
Just need the intake air tank of the charge cooler fabricating now to join it to the blue outlet on the side of the supercharger (will have a 45degree 76mm hose on too), will take the car and parts down to the fabricators early next week for this last bit.

(with bypass valve in place)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Sooo awesome. Cool to see all the bits finding their place.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

sh*t yeah!
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Please tell me you are not going to use the factory air intake pipes :lol:
I would say the answer is no :lol:
But dam it's all looking great.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

aza013 wrote:Please tell me you are not going to use the factory air intake pipes :lol:
I would say the answer is no :lol:
But dam it's all looking great.
No I will be replacing that, i'm a fan of the HKS mushroom filter - 'Super Power Flow'
People can be up and running using the factory pipe and air box without having to think about replacing it yet or they can replace it - up to them, or they may already have an intake that they want to use and they will still be able to if it currently fits on their car.
One of the main aims with the design of the supercharger intake was to put the throttle body where it is from the factory and it is almost in the same spot.

:)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Would look good with my UAS intake..
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Been to see the fabricator today about the last bit, the inlet for the charge cooler - car is going in tomorrow :)

One thing to consider when fitting the supercharger is that the brake reservoir needs moving as it's in the way, so here's a couple of pics of the remote reservoir kit that I've put together.Image

This won't be included in the Supercharger kit but will be an option if required or standalone if you don't even want a supercharger but like shiny sh*t.

Hose is from HEL Performance, this may not be needed if you don't have ABS (I do so have less room) but I will find out as my sons car doesn't have ABS.
This is to replace my crappy diy job that I fitted a while ago as i'm not happy with it.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Charge cooler is done and I now have all the parts. The inlet to the charge cooler will be getting some CAD loving for future ones and will be 3D printed in Nylon on an EOS SLS machine like the supercharger intake. The reason I didn't do this before was because my cost estimate for this put it more expensive than Aluminium fabrication - I was wrong, it's cost me a future at the fabricators so in future will just get the bits I have to done there (welding flanges to the core, water end tanks and intake runners to flange).

Need to get it fitted.

First job will be the new AEM wideband AFR sensor and gauge which should be a doddle as I already had one in there but loaned it out to Rowan (well he has it now), and steal back my boomslang harness for the emanage from him (another is on the way).
Injectors.
Then on to the actual fitting of the kit.
Will still have the mini rad and pump for the charge cooler to fit too but this can be done in isolation.

Sunday might be the day! (daughters 11th birthday party on Saturday, got to get the priorities right)
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Yaaay, almost there! I think what your daughter would want for her birthday is a ride in a supercharged FTO ;) (okay I may be projecting a little)
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

bjk wrote:Yaaay, almost there! I think what your daughter would want for her birthday is a ride in a supercharged FTO ;) (okay I may be projecting a little)
Yes I think you are and rightly so.

It would also help if I didn't have another FTO on the drive that's in pieces too (Rowans) and he's now using mine for work when I want to do stuff to it! I've told him to buy a bike.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Just make him walk. :lol:
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Ok been busy with the lads car but had some time this weekend to work on mine.
Spent about 4 hours Saturday and a couple of hours today, most of the time was around the pulley bracket as I had to make a few adjustments - these will be getting carried through to the cad design so I don't hit the issue with the next ones (which I will also test fit before going out).
Put the 275cc injectors in too, the emanage and boomslang plug and play harness.
The belt is on and seems to be aligned ok as it's not trying to walk off.
That tensioner looks familiar...
And noticed I forgot to plug the IAT sensor in on the side of the charge cooler = 3-4mm air hole / ass hole, take your pick
(Stock intake pipe is just for now and highlights that you can use whatever your existing pipe is)

Started it up, very nice supercharger whine but I knew something was wrong as I shouldn't be hearing that yet, big vac leak somewhere causing the revs to go straight to 6K.
Ooops - forgot to put the brake servo pipe on!
Tried again - still a big leak somewhere and i'm suspecting the SC inlet isn't sealing right so pulled it off and turned the rubber internal gasket around as I reckon it will crush on then and seal better, and failing that some sealant to help it out (this is just vac side not boost). Oh and I was missing a clamp off the supercharger outlet too, was rushing.
But I've run out of time this weekend as I need the car tomorrow so had to put it all back to normal :cry:
Oh well, will only need an hour or two next time hopefully :)

Engine bay and engine needs a clean too.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

sooo cloooose!