Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

Post by Bennoz »

Thought I'd make it official! 8)

Overall plan, is to do this on a budget & quickly. Keeping as much of the 6A13 as stock as possible. I want a car thats gonna have 200kws at the wheels & start every day, get me from A to B during the week & to C on weekends - without the need to be revved to 8,000rpm & massive hits of nitrous. My budget is $6 grand.

Out of the box, these things make 206kws at the flywheel, so thats about 150-160kws at the wheels. Thats with stock Legnum air boxes & standard Legnum exhausts... I've also read, these motors have a factory nitrided cranks (surface hardened) and some reasonably hefty internals.

Plan is to keep the factory turbos exactly where they are. Some minor modifications are required to do that, including relocating a few brake lines & moving the thermo fans from one side of the radiator to the other (& reversing the polarity.) Only thing Im gonna do to them is high-flow them.

Motor will be bolted to my FTO 5spd box. The box is being reco'ed with a few new bearing & syncros - and a Cusco MZ one way diff being put in it. The diff is being 'softened' up as mush as possible to make it more street friendly. We may also stiffen up the pressure plate of the factory clutch.

Motor will bolt to the existing mounts, only thing Im doing is having the rear lower mount done in polyurethane.

The turbo's will be plumbed directly into my free flowing 2.5" system. All we need to do is join up the 2 banks & run them into the exting setup.

The looms are apparently interchangable with little work required to integrate into existing FTO components. Im leaving that to the sparky thou, I hate electronics. The standard Legnum ECU is being used, in conjunction with a Haltech Interceptor piggyback.

As mentioned before, the Nitrous will also be plumbed back into the mix, only this time with a 30hp shot, dialled in to come on earlier in the rev range to aid spooling up the turbos.

And thats it! A good tune, wind the boost up a bit (but not too much, maybe 10-15psi) & she'll be hopefully back on the road in about a month.

The Legnum halfcut you saw in this thread, has now arrived:
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ic&t=15463

We'll be starting work getting it in on Thursday :) We've already pulled the old motor out

New diff.

Last edited by Bennoz on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

FU&KEN Sweet man. I agree with everything your doing definitly the right way to do it.

My only concern is the nos. I was reading a while ago that nos tends to destroy plugs and is that not what happened to your last motor. When you menion about the plug in your last thread it made me remember. What are you gonna do to combat that?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Erm, change them a little more often? :lol: 20-30 odd bottles of nos in a 100hp shot, 3 track days & 40,000kms kind of exceeded their life expectancy!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

bahahahahahaah

Good luck man, i want a ride when you finished

*note to self* i really need to get my ass in gear and get mine finished
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Plan seems pretty solid, though is the FTO gearbox able to handle the 6a13's power and torque ?? Or are you getting the gears shot peened etc ? I never realised the fto box was that strong..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You cant shot peen gears, we've just beefed up a few of the internal bearings. The box will be fine, the driveshafts are the weak link.... which is fine by me, I can swap one of them out in less than an hour :) Which is a hell of a lot quicker than a box swap!
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Ahhh! Fair enough. Better get a few spare driveshafts just in case :lol: Though with the LSD in it, the torque load should be distributed to two driveshafts instead of just the normal passenger side front wheel huh ? That should help a bit! Still a lot of torque though, especially with the nos giving it the low end rush/sudden torque hit followed by the turbo torque wave.

Definitely will be interesting, goodluck with it!
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Thats exactly the same way i will be going! like i have said before i cant see it being a 25k job all be it will be saving a lot of dollars in labour ;)

keep updated (wish i was in sydney to help and make notes along the way) :x
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

New motor now out of half cut :) (pic was just before we pulled it)

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

that was my engine!
akumi
Mechanic

Post by akumi »

bennoz, any reason why you don't want jeff's 6a13 fto which is for sale?
EZCONSOLE & EZMODCHIPS - We repair, upgrade and buy off Xbox 360, Wii, NDS, PS2 and PS3. Pickup & delivery services available. Xbox, Wii and NDS repair and opening tools available. Reasonable offers for non-working xbox 360 and Wii. Contact me for all oth
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

proberly because bennoz is crazy and wants to do his own red rocket monster of a fto damn this thing going to be crazy maybe i should do the same to mine if i could find another half cut i would
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

akumi wrote:bennoz, any reason why you don't want jeff's 6a13 fto which is for sale?
because it just wont be the same...

your car is your car!
akumi
Mechanic

Post by akumi »

true true, sometimes it's worth all the wait during the modification process but at the end of the day it's still your car.
EZCONSOLE & EZMODCHIPS - We repair, upgrade and buy off Xbox 360, Wii, NDS, PS2 and PS3. Pickup & delivery services available. Xbox, Wii and NDS repair and opening tools available. Reasonable offers for non-working xbox 360 and Wii. Contact me for all oth
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Mainly because I've spent a kazillion dollars on suspension, brakes & wheels & tyres. Plus as mentioned, my car is my car. I dont want to give away all my little touches. I also dont need 400hp, 300hp will be fine.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Bennoz wrote:I also dont need 400hp, 300hp will be fine.
Im Sig'ing that now so i can say i told you so in 6 months...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:lol:
Hipsi

Post by Hipsi »

I'll be watching Ben ;)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

New engine mount arrived today :)

Gearbox is supposed to arrive today too, so will be test fitting in the next few days :)

yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Is that basically the same as the stock fto mount just made in polyeurethane or custom?? Looks a little bigger than normal. That's obviously the cross member there which has 2 mounts, is it just the front one you got made up or both?