Nvr2lows 6a13 conversATION WITH BEN ABOUT HIS CONVERSION

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nvr2low
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by nvr2low »

omg omg I just got my car back omg. All I can say is damn it does wheel skids in 1st and I don't even hit the accelerator hard.
I haven't gt it dynoed yet so will do that soon.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

well done :twisted:

now all you need to do is keep your Licence :lol:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

mate awesome thats great.... out of interest what was the final $ :?:
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

haha sweet :D

but mine does skids in 1st gear to ;)

how much boost you running?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

um standard boost got bad news but. Was driving it around in the arvo and gt home and it over heated I turned it off and water is all under the car and I have left it ova night. Will it be fine when I just run it and fill it up with water 2morow.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

nvr2low wrote:um standard boost got bad news but. Was driving it around in the arvo and gt home and it over heated I turned it off and water is all under the car and I have left it ova night. Will it be fine when I just run it and fill it up with water 2morow.
Shouldn't be running on water ... use coolant (the good stuff)

Make sure that it's not making boost while it is driving normally.. if the turbo is spooling under normal driving then it WILL heat up pretty damn fast .. I had this prob when the cruise control was screwed up & causing turbo's to be spooled even @ idle.. luckily it was easily fixed & didn't cause any damage..

Sounds to me like you could have busted a hose .. Fill it back up with coolant, cheap stuff is ok if you want to test it & then do a full replace later.. squeeze all the hoses , check for leaks & get it back to the workshop ASAP..

I hope you've warned them that this is a possibility with these conversions? I'd hope they've taken some precautions..

If you're constantly flooring it & operating in high boost for long periods of time, the under bonnet temps can creep up .. just keep an eye on it & try turning off air con if you have it on while on the boosty boosty.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

it spoils up only when I push the accelerator down mate as I can hear the damn things wind up. Is it ok to put water in it just to gt it to a place to gt the coolant man. It was running fine during the day then at night just over heated big time. I just hope the head is fine. Their is a leak in the radiator hose they made up but that was only when it was steaming and water coming out the reserve can man.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

nvr2low wrote: it spoils up only when I push the accelerator down mate as I can hear the damn things wind up. Is it ok to put water in it just to gt it to a place to gt the coolant man. It was running fine during the day then at night just over heated big time. I just hope the head is fine. Their is a leak in the radiator hose they made up but that was only when it was steaming and water coming out the reserve can man.
What'd they replace the radiator hose with? Cause I would think the stock ones would do fine.. unless they've replaced it with a heavier duty aftermarket one ..

Chucking some water in it would be fine, just make sure there are no leaks & take it easy..it was bound to at least have some minor problems to sort out though, so don't worry too much about it..
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yay it is all fixed now let it cool down last night put some water in it and let it run for 20 mins then took it for a drive and it was fine mate,

they had to make a new bottom hose as all the turbo piping was in the way.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Awesome, get some vids up!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Bennoz wrote:Awesome, get some vids up!
lol and now Ben runs down to the work shop to give them a kick up the ass to got his ready :lol:
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

haha yeah but bens has a lot more power than mine does lol.

ok the car will run fine when driving runs perfect temps when i let it run on idle standing still for like 5 mins the temp climes fast.

which bolts do you put the washers under on the bonnett to raise the rear of it. i need to get the temps down.

i might run the thermo fans off the acc so they come on from go to stop.

anybody else got other ideas
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Hm I'm kinda confused...if the engines stock and it's making boost under normal driving then why's it over heating? It'd be running stock boost which would come in at a certain rpm, exactly as the car would run in a vr4/legnum. In saying that though, mate see if you can get a low temp thermostat and a radiator cap that's rated at 1.3 bar. This should get your radiator running at it's most efficient to keep your temp's down. Oh and ffs, do not use water in the cooling system, lol. Big fat no no. Congratulations btw mate. Bet you're driving around with a chubby ;)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

i only put water in it to get home will be putting in coolant 2morow guys will flush it out 2morow.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

nvr2low wrote:i only put water in it to get home will be putting in coolant 2morow guys will flush it out 2morow.
nice :thumright:
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

also yano are u forgetting the legnums run a bigger radiator and bigger fans. Also i live in the heat capital of australia.

i might look for a bigger radiator and put the fans on the other side and reverse them.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

fek forgot you lived in the desert mate.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yep exactly mate haha. i might have to get a AB bonnett 2
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

for the heat problem open the hood and you will see two ruber strips one at the front atached to the bonet and one at the back atached to the bay take them off and you will vent more hot air out of the bay.
that will vent more than if you just put washers under the hinges.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

thanks aza will do mate I just am freaking it will over heat and I will up for a sh*t load of money.
Also I haven't paid the final bill yet as they haven't dne it up yet.