should i turbo?

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

2 different types of Mivec you're talking about is the problem.

The older version of Mivec you find in an FTO motor, is a hydraulically actuated, mechanical system. Meaning, its a fixed system, the only change you can make in it, is adjusting the cutover point to the larger cams (Mivec cams). Its a system that was designed specifically to give a naturally aspirated engine more power, over a longer range. As such the engines were designed with compression ratio's of 10.5:1 to compliment that system.

The newer versions of mivec are computer controlled in a much more finite way. The computer can not only adjust the cutover point, but the inlet valve timing itself can be altered at any point during the rev range - according to external factors - such as torque load, air density, fuel type & most importantly, boost. Hence you can now get "turbo Mivec" engines these days. 10 years ago, there was no such thing. Whats important with the difference between the 2 styles of engines is cams. Traditional turbo cams are a short lift, long duration lobe design, where as a naturally aspirated cam profile has a high lift & short duration. Hence, that if you can effectively "change your cam profile while driving" (ie the computer altering the valve timing) then you can effectively have a motor the drives like it naturally aspirated, but when you put your foot down, its effectively turbo charged as well.

The only disadvantage of the newer systems, is that the adjustable timing only occurs on the inlet timing. Where as the older system did both inlet & exhaust. Although, I am told, some of the newer EVO's have the ability to do both.
mivec_lancer
Apprentice

Post by mivec_lancer »

so thats y they are high tech motors aye
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

They were a brilliant design in their day, its just that its been superceded ;)

I wait for the day where camshafts are all made redundant! All valves are controlled by their own little actuators, centrally managed by an ECU. Much like some of the super cars of today have. Good bye to timing belt changes!! *Happy dances*
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

sounds like you have a new job to do Ben as soon as your car is back on the road :D
Make a new motor :lol: :twisted:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I wanted to do automotive engineering design after I finished my engineering course...

I got told to get on a plane & go to the UK as there was no industry out here.

I told them to f*ck off, I like my 30 degree summer days, I'll change professions, thanks for wasting 4 years of my life :lol:
Shahrez
Mechanic

Post by Shahrez »

Bennoz wrote:I wanted to do automotive engineering design after I finished my engineering course...

I got told to get on a plane & go to the UK as there was no industry out here.

I told them to f*ck off, I like my 30 degree summer days, I'll change professions, thanks for wasting 4 years of my life :lol:
hahahaah i know exactly what you mean! i wanted to do the exact same thing and was refered to MEng Automotive engineering at uni of london. But now ive switched from mechanical engineering to Aircraft mechanical engineering. at least get to work with engines and such!
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Bennoz wrote:There's quite a few about actually :) Haven't seen any of the boys around for a while thou..

Do a search for 'mivec and lancer' and it'll bring them up.
I think theres quite a few in the Mivec.co.nz site with Lancer + 6a12 conversions .. a bunch of Mirage's as well.