Valandis Turbo talk

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTEvolution
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FTEvolution »

mr-charisma wrote: are you serious? You should be able to get a whole Evo 3 Half cut for less than $3500 & after selling turbo / g'box & any other bits off it you should get the engine for at least $1500
Would love to see that tried mate, with the gearbox on the other side of the engine (Evo 4 + is where they started to have the gearbox on the passenger side) you would have so many headaches it wouldn't be funny.

I agree, tried and tested is the best way. And if you wanna be different than the rest of us who already have the 6A13, go for twin TD05 16G's mounted side by side above the gearbox with dual exhausts in front of both rear wheels and screamers coming out of both front guards by the doors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Valandis91 wrote:does a 4g92 bolt up to the 6a12 engine mounts?
3 out of 4 FTO mounts are on the gearbox, so it'll be easier to use the 6A12 FTO box. Just bear in mind, it will need modification to the box bell housing. 3 holes dont line up on the top of it & 1 on the back.

A fella in the UK just had his modified to suit. (Yes, its a tip box, but the bellhousing on the manual will have to be modified the same way.)

Oh and go for a 7 bolt 4G63T if you can get one cheap.
It has a better bore / stroke ratio, allowing a better revving motor as opposed to the 4G93, it also came post 92 with the 7 bolt flywheel & stronger (yet lighter) rods.

-4G63 DOHC 16 Valve Turbocharged.
-Total Displacement - 1997cc (2 Litre)
-Bore - 85.0mm
-Stroke - 88.0mm
-Maximum Output - 202kW @ 6,500rpm
-Maximum Torque - 370N·m @ 3,500rpm

-4G93 DOHC 16 Valve Turbocharged.
-Total Displacement - 1834cc (1.8 Litre)
-Bore - 81.0mm
-Stroke - 89.0mm
-Maximum Output - 141kW @ 6,000rpm
-Maximum Torque - 250N·m @ 3,750rpm
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

it's settled then.. 4g93 if you're a tight ass .. 4g63 if you want to do it right :lol:

End of discussion - Close thread :P
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Why does it only ever take me 1 post to get the relevant information up & a decision made, yet you nobs can waffle on for 20 pages!? :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:Why does it only ever take me 1 post to get the relevant information up & a decision made, yet you nobs can waffle on for 20 pages!? :lol:
cause we are all too lazy too put "actual" facts up to prove our points.
:roll: :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

FTEvolution wrote:
mr-charisma wrote: are you serious? You should be able to get a whole Evo 3 Half cut for less than $3500 & after selling turbo / g'box & any other bits off it you should get the engine for at least $1500
Would love to see that tried mate, with the gearbox on the other side of the engine (Evo 4 + is where they started to have the gearbox on the passenger side) you would have so many headaches it wouldn't be funny.

I agree, tried and tested is the best way. And if you wanna be different than the rest of us who already have the 6A13, go for twin TD05 16G's mounted side by side above the gearbox with dual exhausts in front of both rear wheels and screamers coming out of both front guards by the doors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mitsubishi 4G63T RARE!!!! LH gearbox, ex late RVR
Ultra low k's, very rare. 4G63T (late), ex RVR, will fit CE Lancer and later with gearbox on LHS. Same engine as EVO 4/5/6 with smaller turbo. Bargain.
$4500

http://www.japimports.com.au/halfcuts.htm

Far as I know our GB are on the left yeah?
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

well depending on how much simons kit is going to cost if i have enough ill buy his kit with a 6a12 otherwise ill go one of the 4g's...
not sure as yet
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

our GB is on the passenger side...
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

oh and another thing about the 4g63
how would the wiring side of things go?
would that be a big job?
ive only got 16k to play with here and i dont want to go into something and not have enough to finish it!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

With 16 grand you could have a Haltech plumbed in! My 6A13 conversion is only costing about 10 grand...
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Jamie wrote:^^There are a few good reasons why I would choose a 4G93 over a 4G63.
-The cost of a 4G93 would be far cheaper compared to the cost of a 4G63. Thats because you will need a half-cut for the 4G63. I have had quotes of 6-8k for a half cut alone.
-A well tuned 4G93 should put out around 170kw atw with some extra boost, fmic, breathing mods ect. Maximum torque would also be lower in the rev range. Throw in an lsd and you would be set. Heaps of power for a daily drive.
-A few people have mentioned better aftermarket support for the 4G63. What could you possibly do to standard 4G63 that you couldnt do to a 4G93? Dont forget you are still driving the front wheels.
Why will you need a half cut for the 4G63? I've seen 4G63Ts as cheap as 2 grand on eBay etc.

Even if you did buy a half cut, 6-8 grand is a ridiculous amount for an early EVO half cut as far as I know.

As for power, the 4G63 has a larger displacement and higher peak torque, with just as much, I dare say more, room for more power.

Are you talking about the possibility of an NA 4G93 transplant and doing the work to turbo or about a 4G93T?
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

pete_gpx wrote:
Why will you need a half cut for the 4G63? I've seen 4G63Ts as cheap as 2 grand on eBay etc.

Even if you did buy a half cut, 6-8 grand is a ridiculous amount for an early EVO half cut as far as I know.

As for power, the 4G63 has a larger displacement and higher peak torque, with just as much, I dare say more, room for more power.

Are you talking about the possibility of an NA 4G93 transplant and doing the work to turbo or about a 4G93T?
You will need a half cut because you couldnt use the FTO gearbox with the 4G63 without modification. Bennoz just posted up some photos showing that.

I have just found that the 4G93T engine was used in a GTI with the F5M22 transaxle. The FTO transaxle code is F5M42. From my understanding the last two digits stand for the torque rating and for the number of revisions of the gearbox repectively. (If anybody knows different I would like to know). This should mean that being the same series gearbox it should be compatible with the 4G93T saving heaps of time and money.

I havent argueed the fact that the 4G63T would produce more power/torque than the 4G93T. I have said this before. Re-read my posts.

6-8k might be ridiculous for a half cut but like I said that was what I was quoted. All I know is these engines came with a warranty and buying of ebay could be risky. Might end up costing more to rebuild the engine.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

pete_gpx wrote:I've seen 4G63Ts as cheap as 2 grand on eBay etc.

1) Bull sh*t, there is no way you will pick up an evo 4+ for 2k unless it is the motor only and done a crap load of kms. You must be talking about pre- evo 4 (1,2,3) which will not fit our cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-Mitsubishi-4 ... 240%3A1318

2) He is not talking 6-8k for an early evo. As said early evo 1-3 dont fit. He will be talking about evo 6 onwards. correct me if im wrong jamie?

I wouldnt even touch a evo 4 engine, do a little google on crank walk evo 4 and you will see what i mean.

Evo 5 and above is the only thing worth considering (if your going 4g63 route) and i just got quoted 5.5k for a evo 6 half cut.

TO ALL
PLEASE NOTE: NO ONE EVER SAID THE 4G93 WOULD BE BETTER THAN GOING 4G63. IT WAS JUST SAID THAT IT WOULD BE A VERY EASY CONVERSION AND COULD BE DONE AT A FRACTION OF THE COST OF THE EVO ROUTE.
:lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

I8A4RE wrote: I wouldnt even touch a evo 4 engine, do a little google on crank walk evo 4 and you will see what i mean.

Evo 5 and above is the only thing worth considering (if your going 4g63 route) and i just got quoted 5.5k for a evo 6 half cut.
if thats the case i'd be looking at this then

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-LAN ... 898wt_1197

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-EVOLU ... 891wt_1197

:D
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

So thats $5349 aud then the freight on that to here would be easily 2.5k or more

=$7849 +

No thanks, i will stick with something a litle more local.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

My 2cents...

Valandis, it all depends on what you're after and if you're not sure my advice to you is to have some goals set. Do you want massive power or just a decent amount of power that'll keep you happy. You need a budget to try to stick to as 16k on this project is fkn heaps and i.m.o too much.

As far as engine choice is concerned, whether you go 4g63 or 4g93, both engines can put out big hp figures. Hell, I know someone that had an 11sec lancer cc gsr with the 4g93 that did 11secs down the strip. 4g93 is often overlooked but compared to the pricing of the 4g63 it isn't a bad option. The engines are from the same family and are fairly similar with a lot of evo parts being compatible. In saying that, a 4g63 can easily put out over 270kws atws with bolt on mods and changes to it's timing and still be reliable.

Like bennoz has said, you're gonna need to figure out which gearbox you're gonna use i.e. a modified fto box or a modified evo box. Using an evo4 box, like simon said, you'll experience crank walk, a problem far less common with later evo's.

Your other option to have a turbo'd 6a12 non mivec's another possibility. Will be a cheaper option but once again, comes down to what you're really after.

Regardless of the path you take, I think the main problem you're going to have is finding a mechanic that's not a douche and know's their sh*t since you're in tasmania.

In the words of captain planet...'the power is yours' :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Must ... resist ...

ah fk it!

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

John, couldnt have said it better myself ;)
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I8A4RE wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Why does it only ever take me 1 post to get the relevant information up & a decision made, yet you nobs can waffle on for 20 pages!? :lol:
cause we are all too lazy too put "actual" facts up to prove our points.
:roll: :lol:
:lol:
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]