Valandis Turbo talk

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Valandis91 »

simon can i ask a hugeeeee favour?

im going to get a gr engine and turbo but to do so i need your blueprinting of your setup since my car is tip...

i showed the pics of your set up to my mechanic and he was like wow thats tight...
oh and he said that the air mass sensor box thingy is to close to the turbo so its not going to work properly?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Valandis91 wrote:simon can i ask a hugeeeee favour?

im going to get a gr engine and turbo but to do so i need your blueprinting of your setup since my car is tip...

i showed the pics of your set up to my mechanic and he was like wow thats tight...
oh and he said that the air mass sensor box thingy is to close to the turbo so its not going to work properly?
If you've got a GPX already then just go GPX Turbo..
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

my engine has done over 150000k's so im not too keen on that plus i found a gr engine thats done 50000k's

anyways the piping would be the same as we both have a tip...
itd be cheaper going the gr route as well after all my reading
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

piping will be the same for GR / GPX .. why would it be different?

If you're worried about the engine being high km, then get a rebuild at the same time .. or just get it tested..

you can't trust that an engine out of a half cut has "50,000km" they could tell you anything.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

So do a timing belt & water pump change.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

yes im almost swaying to that idea too going by the drama and time its taking ben and never2low so might sell 6a13 and buy another gr motor just have to wiegh up total costs and time involved and how much work i will have to pay for someone to do taht i cant do myself :?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

vipfto wrote:

yes im almost swaying to that idea too going by the drama and time its taking ben and never2low so might sell 6a13 and buy another gr motor just have to wiegh up total costs and time involved and how much work i will have to pay for someone to do taht i cant do myself :?
10k!

But seriously.. I go back to my previous post .. why all this talk of getting a GR engine? Just get a decent tuner that knows what they're doing & do it to a GPX..

But seriously.. if you have a 6a13 sitting there ready to go, why would you bother selling it & buying a GR one?

The amount that it is going to cost for the 6a13 vs 6a12 is negligible ... the power gain from doing the 6a13 instead is priceless! As is the knowledge you gain by doing a lot of the work yourself..
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Okay, I have a *serious* question..

I have seen a few turbo projects out there that have been done without having piping fabricated .. just made up of straights & bends joined by silicone hose & held in place more solidly by mounting brackets etc where necessary..

is there any reason that a turbo project couldn't be done on the cheap by doing it this way?
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

i am in hobart and decent tuners is not something we have...
and bad tuner and gpx engine = bad ending

my mechanic advised me to go the 4g93 route as it would have a lot more room in the engine bay and in the end you'll have more power... and more bolt on parts...

people dont want to turbo a gpx as to not risk having oil starvation while in mivec and slowly killing the engine

i didnt say gr/gpx piping would be different...
and if i had to do a rebuild id rather do it to a gr engine as i know itll be cheaper to turbo... and easier for the tuner
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Valandis91 wrote:i am in hobart and decent tuners is not something we have...
and bad tuner and gpx engine = bad ending

my mechanic advised me to go the 4g93 route as it would have a lot more room in the engine bay and in the end you'll have more power... and more bolt on parts...

people dont want to turbo a gpx as to not risk having oil starvation while in mivec and slowly killing the engine

i didnt say gr/gpx piping would be different...
and if i had to do a rebuild id rather do it to a gr engine as i know itll be cheaper to turbo... and easier for the tuner

wasn't having a go.. ;)

Might be worth shipping it over on a ferry & shipping it back? I dunno..

If your mechanic told you to go 4g93, then kick him in the balls & find another. You'd want to go 4g63. (don't get me wrong.. 4g93 is possible .. but not worth it ;))

Oil starvation shouldn't be a problem .. i think it's mentioned earlier in this thread why not ..
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

i wasnt havent a go either...

the reason he said the 4g93 is because i mentioned it to him that the gs version came out with it and he said having a 4 cylinder would mean having a lot more room in the engine bay and getting more power out of it in the end...

i dont want anything crazy here just something with a bit more power nothing over the top... my mivec isnt in the greatest condition so it wouu=ld be easier getting another engine cos then i wouldnt have to rebuild...
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

Valandis91 wrote:i wasnt havent a go either...

the reason he said the 4g93 is because i mentioned it to him that the gs version came out with it and he said having a 4 cylinder would mean having a lot more room in the engine bay and getting more power out of it in the end...

i dont want anything crazy here just something with a bit more power nothing over the top... my mivec isnt in the greatest condition so it wouu=ld be easier getting another engine cos then i wouldnt have to rebuild...
how can mivec not be in good condition?
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

well its done 150000k's it needs tappets done and its got a oil leak from somewhere... havent found the source yet...

but yeah it would most likely need a rebuild to be turboed safely
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Geezus, get your own thread :lol:

Alright here's one i prepared for you lol.

Valandis, mate if you can get a gr engine cheap enough and can swap it over yourself or at least really cheaply then im with you, that would be the best idea.

The 4g93 is also a good idea if you are on a tight budget as i really believe you could make one of those fly, i have said before and ill say it again....... I cant believe no one has gone down this path before.

Mr C wrote:I have seen a few turbo projects out there that have been done without having piping fabricated .. just made up of straights & bends joined by silicone hose & held in place more solidly by mounting brackets etc where necessary..
You could do that but why? Silicone is more expensive than metal so when you factor in the welding it and the clamps, it should be round the same price anyway. But i wouldnt even be worried about saving money there. there are loads of other areas that suck up way more money than that. From memory my intercooler pipping cost like $700 thats nothing when looking at the whole project.
MR V wrote:simon can i ask a hugeeeee favour?

Mate i have been considering pulling my engine out to get my engine bay painted.....IT PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH. So that should be a problem depending on when you want to do it. I could probably even go one step further and make a complete kit for you.
So why is mine working? :lol:

If your that worried about it, just remove it and put in a MAP. I believe most standalone's can do this and same with the emanage ultimate......thats why i choose it ;)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

haha my bad sorry simon!

ive been looking for a 4g93 emailed some places but they havent gotten back to me... the only annoying thing about going that route is that ill lose the awesome sound of a 6a12...
does a 4g92 bolt up to the 6a12 engine mounts?

making a complete kit hey?
hmmm now that is very tempting...
how much do u assume that would cost for me to buy off u?
oh and also hows your tip going in handling the extra power?

yeah i thought it was a bit strange when they said that i was just like ahh it is working...
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Valandis91 wrote:haha my bad sorry simon!

ive been looking for a 4g93 emailed some places but they havent gotten back to me... the only annoying thing about going that route is that ill lose the awesome sound of a 6a12...

how much do you assume that would cost for me to buy off you?

yeah i thought it was a bit strange when they said that i was just like ahh it is working...
Why would anyone bother with a 4G93 when they can just as easily put in a 4G63T? The 63T has loads of aftermarket parts available for it, it comes with the power already and has room for potential.

What's your reasoning for putting in a 4G93 over the 63?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

pete_gpx wrote:

Why would anyone bother with a 4G93 when they can just as easily put in a 4G63T? The 63T has loads of aftermarket parts available for it, it comes with the power already and has room for potential.

Price, you could pick up a 4g93 up for less than 1k where as the 4g63 is about 3 times that much and a lot of the "off the shelf" items will go on the 93 anyway
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

^^There are a few good reasons why I would choose a 4G93 over a 4G63.
-The cost of a 4G93 would be far cheaper compared to the cost of a 4G63. Thats because you will need a half-cut for the 4G63. I have had quotes of 6-8k for a half cut alone.
-A well tuned 4G93 should put out around 170kw atw with some extra boost, fmic, breathing mods ect. Maximum torque would also be lower in the rev range. Throw in an lsd and you would be set. Heaps of power for a daily drive.
-A few people have mentioned better aftermarket support for the 4G63. What could you possibly do to standard 4G63 that you couldnt do to a 4G93? Dont forget you are still driving the front wheels.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:
pete_gpx wrote:

Price, you could pick up a 4g93 up for less than 1k where as the 4g63 is about 3 times that much and a lot of the "off the shelf" items will go on the 93 anyway
are you serious? You should be able to get a whole Evo 3 Half cut for less than $3500 & after selling turbo / g'box & any other bits off it you should get the engine for at least $1500

'tis same engine as evo 4, 5 etc as far as I know, but smaller turbo..

When you can pick up a 6a13 for less than $500 after selling g'box & other half cut parts .. or come across a half cut for $1500 that makes the engine FREE .. then I dunno why you wouldn't just do that.

IMO the best reason I've heard for someone wanting to go 4g63 over a 6a13 is for going AWD (Although I'd think it's possible with Galant running gear as well)
Otherwise it seems to be purely for the "wank factor" ... just because it's something different & to be more unique..

I still think it's best to stick with the tried & tested 6a13 conversion
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Jamie wrote:^^There are a few good reasons why I would choose a 4G93 over a 4G63.
-The cost of a 4G93 would be far cheaper compared to the cost of a 4G63. Thats because you will need a half-cut for the 4G63. I have had quotes of 6-8k for a half cut alone.
-A well tuned 4G93 should put out around 170kw atw with some extra boost, fmic, breathing mods ect. Maximum torque would also be lower in the rev range. Throw in an lsd and you would be set. Heaps of power for a daily drive.
-A few people have mentioned better aftermarket support for the 4G63. What could you possibly do to standard 4G63 that you couldnt do to a 4G93? Dont forget you are still driving the front wheels.
YEP YEP YEP ;)

Personally i would still go the 4g63 but thats because i have a large budget to work with. But i would not dis credit the 93, i think it would be a great project if your on a budget.