Evo IX FTO Project

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Polaco
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Evo IX FTO Project

Post by Polaco »

Hi guyz, both my friend and myself are looking at taking on a massive project. It will be call the FTO_IX.

We are looking for any advice that may come readly availabe to us. The plan is to try and convert a GPX with a 6A12 automatic 4 speed box and FWD, into a 4G63 with a 6 speed box and AWD system, including AYC. All of which should be coming form an Evo IX donor vehicle.

Futher details on the project will be released soon.

Carbon Fibre interior with black suede upholtery and new center console and dash cluster (F430 style cluster) revamp

Body styling similar to F430, front and rear containing diffuser

Comments will be welcome, it is expected to be an open budget project!!!
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Re: Evo IX FTO Project

Post by Supplanter »

Polaco wrote:Comments will be welcome, it is expected to be an open budget project!!!
The best kind of project :twisted:
Good luck ;)
LED ALL the things.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Nice is all I can say.

Have you brought the IX donor? Has the project started yet? Progress pics?

Will be a huge job, what are you planning with the rear subframe? Grafting in the IX right? I have heard that the closest/best match (out of an Evo) to weld in is the Evo 3. I am sure anything will fit though.

You will have a weapon there for sure. Where abouts you located?
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Polaco

Post by Polaco »

At the moment we are in the process of creating a schedule and parts list, with the blue print for the fto also happening, no short cuts, no mistakes, only perfection. Being both engineers, we are both pedantic and perfectionists.

A graphical layout for the body kit has also been designed (entirely custom, hoping as well it can be manufactured from carbon fibre), with the focus being heavily weighted on keeping a modern but very OEM (factory) look for the car (therefore accounting for the F430 Ferrari body influences), the hope is that we can achieve something that is befitting of a dream FTO that everyone would love to drive, as well as showcasing of the cars best assets. Pictures and sketches will be uploaded soon.

Parts will be all Evo IX gear, engine, gearbox, driveshaft, axle, diff, sub frame, etc. All parts sourced will be new, or in as new as possible condition, in order to provide the car with longevity and the quality it deserves. The car is aimed at achieving somewhere in the vicinity of 300kW ATW. With a split dual exhaust setup anticipated, twin tip on both side, encased within the rear bumper and diffuser, much like on a F430.

The FTO interior is a fantastic platform, with a few modifications necessary to the center console (much wider then standard, providing a centerpiece for the interior) and gauge cluster. We are both huge fans of alcantar leather; therefore the next best thing to use is suede. The gauge cluster and steering wheel will be re-designed to mimic an F430 setup, with the start button and AYC controls on the steering wheel. Racing seats will be used, suede off-course. All air conditioning vents will be replaced with circular ones. The aim is to keep the car as original as possible or make it look original.

A question mark still lies on whether on not to manufacture pop-up lights as opposed to the standard ones.

The FTO is one of the most uniquely shaped cars out on the road and was designed ahead of its time.

Im interested to hear the thoughts and views of everyone.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Here's my thoughts....

HOLY......sh*t......YES!

That sounds amazing and I'm expecting frequent and detailed updates lol.

The only objection is the pop-up lights - don't do it man.

Good luck :D
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Here are my first honest thoughts;

- I'll believe it when I see it :P
- I want blueprints / CAD diagrams etc when they're done :)
- What you're planning is going to be expensiiiive - Could probably afford an F430 by the end! :lol:
- Might be cheaper & easier just to put an FTO Shell on an EVO IX Body.. since you will basically have to be rebuilding the FTO from scratch anyways
- Looking forward to seeing pics / drawings

Anyways, it's something that a lot of people talk about .. some people actually start, but never go anywhere with it, so be prepared for mixed reactions from these guys (at least you seem committed) ..

That said, a workshop over in the UK is almost finished making a convertible AWD FTevO
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

oh yeah, & who is going to be paying for the project? if you're both going halves, how are you going to decide who gets the first drive & will you have to have a roster for when each of you get to use it? :lol:
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

NICE!!!

Like said, this project will be a huge cost but if you have the money do it.

I personally think flip up lights would ruin the front end of the fto. The oem lights have nice curves to suit the body and if you convert it wouldnt looks as smooth. Now if you could redesign the front lights to hold the high/low beams and indicators that would be great. Im not a fan of the prefacelift indicator pods, seams outdated to me.

Love the whole molded diffuser idea
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

interestin, will be keeping a close eye on this
hope you have a money tree and pull it off 8O but leave the lights
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Looks like a very interesting project.

Will be interesting to see what problems you get and how you solve them. Put pics up of the donor car and fto as well if you can.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Oliver89
Oldtimer

Post by Oliver89 »

Waste of time,

Keep the EVO 9 & live your life.

What massive project straight out, take a good look because your up for some $$$ seriously dude why dont u just buy a EVO 9 and do that up i mean come on, this project is GOOD! in the imagintion part but DUMB every other part after that. :roll:
Proud Owner Of a White ( Version R ) Aero Series 1998 Mitsubishi FTO 24v 2L Mivec Engine. Fresh Import.
[img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2568/fbsig.jpg[/img]
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

well if all goes to plan, im looking to do the same thing when im older, reasons are:

1) Anyone can go out and buy an EVO straight up, but doing the conversion yourself in an FTO is way more satisfying to me. You have to go to great extents to be unique

2) At the end of the day, if you love FTO's as much as i do and working on cars then you'd be willing to spend the money on it as AWD is the best major project to do yourself and i love projects haha. What else are you going to do in your spare time? :roll:
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

Oliver89 wrote:Waste of time,

Keep the EVO 9 & live your life.

What massive project straight out, take a good look because your up for some $$$ seriously dude why dont you just buy a EVO 9 and do that up i mean come on, this project is GOOD! in the imagintion part but DUMB every other part after that. :roll:
I kind of agree. I mean the idea is great and if your willing to do it, it will turn out great. But other then that, unless you are loaded and dont know what to do with your money i wouldnt do it.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Tippin wrote:well if all goes to plan, im looking to do the same thing when im older, reasons are:

1) Anyone can go out and buy an EVO straight up, but doing the conversion yourself in an FTO is way more satisfying to me. You have to go to great extents to be unique

2) At the end of the day, if you love FTO's as much as i do and working on cars then you'd be willing to spend the money on it as AWD is the best major project to do yourself and i love projects haha. What else are you going to do in your spare time? :roll:
+1 totally agree there is nothing like self satisfaction when you step back look at your pride and joy and say I did that 8)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Done
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Polaco

Post by Polaco »

Evo IX FTO project!

I have been away for the past few days, never the less, an update on the project is necessary.

We are looking to put together an OEM look for the FTO, the stereo system has to come into consideration (removal of rear seats, to house 4 X 10' Mille Subs), with the top in high-end stereo quality. All of the stereo equipment has been purchased bar a few minor pieces, with no expenses spared. The ICE includes the following equipment:

- Hertz Mille MLK2
- Hertz Mille MLK3
- Hertz Mille ML2500 x 4
- Audison VRX 6.420
- Audison VRX 4.300
- Audison VRX 1.500 x 2
- Alpine IVA-W502E
- Alpine PXA-H100
- Alpine KCE-300BT
- Alpine PMD-B100E
- Optima Deep Cycle D34 x 2
- Connection Sonus MP 1/0BL x 10m
- Connection Sonus MP 1/0S x 6m
- Connection Sonus S210 x 80m
- Connection Sonus STB x 48
- Connection Sonus ST2 100 x 3
- Connection Sonus SFH 11WP x 2
- Connection Best BFD 41 x 2
- Connection Best BDB 111 x 2
- Connection Sonus SBC 41N x 2
- Connection Sonus SBC 41P x 2
- Connection Sonus SGT 11 x 4
- Connection Best BSF 13 x 4
- Connection Best BCA 32 x 4
- Connection Best BCA DGT x 4
- Connection Sonus SHS 13 x 5m
- Connection Sonus SMC 10 x 76
- Connection Sonus SMC 04 x 32
- Connection Sonus SMC 01 x 20

All up that equates to around $30k spent on car audio. Everything on the list has been purchased and will be posted soon.

Pictures, for those of you who have raised speculation, as to whether or not the project is a waste of time will be posted this weekend...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Stereo equipment would be the last thing i would buying or worrying about when doing a evo conversion.

But thats just my 2 cents
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:Stereo equipment would be the last thing i would buying or worrying about when doing a evo conversion.

+1 ..

Not to mention, $30,000 is a stupid amount of money to spend on Sound system gear

Now you're just going to have all this sound gear sitting around for the duration of the project gathering dust for a few years and by the time you finally finish there will be better sound gear avail.
Last edited by mr-charisma on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Polaco wrote:Evo IX FTO project!

I have been away for the past few days, never the less, an update on the project is necessary.

We are looking to put together an OEM look for the FTO, the stereo system has to come into consideration (removal of rear seats, to house 4 X 10' Mille Subs), with the top in high-end stereo quality. All of the stereo equipment has been purchased bar a few minor pieces, with no expenses spared. The ICE includes the following equipment:

- Hertz Mille MLK2
- Hertz Mille MLK3
- Hertz Mille ML2500 x 4
- Audison VRX 6.420
- Audison VRX 4.300
- Audison VRX 1.500 x 2
- Alpine IVA-W502E
- Alpine PXA-H100
- Alpine KCE-300BT
- Alpine PMD-B100E
- Optima Deep Cycle D34 x 2
- Connection Sonus MP 1/0BL x 10m
- Connection Sonus MP 1/0S x 6m
- Connection Sonus S210 x 80m
- Connection Sonus STB x 48
- Connection Sonus ST2 100 x 3
- Connection Sonus SFH 11WP x 2
- Connection Best BFD 41 x 2
- Connection Best BDB 111 x 2
- Connection Sonus SBC 41N x 2
- Connection Sonus SBC 41P x 2
- Connection Sonus SGT 11 x 4
- Connection Best BSF 13 x 4
- Connection Best BCA 32 x 4
- Connection Best BCA DGT x 4
- Connection Sonus SHS 13 x 5m
- Connection Sonus SMC 10 x 76
- Connection Sonus SMC 04 x 32
- Connection Sonus SMC 01 x 20

All up that equates to around $30k spent on car audio. Everything on the list has been purchased and will be posted soon.

Pictures, for those of you who have raised speculation, as to whether or not the project is a waste of time will be posted this weekend...
Mother of Christ.

Awesome.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

mr-charisma wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:Stereo equipment would be the last thing i would buying or worrying about when doing a evo conversion.

+1 ..

Not to mention, $30,000 is a stupid amount of money to spend on Sound system gear

Now you're just going to have all this sound gear sitting around for the duration of the project gathering dust for a few years and by the time you finally finish there will be better sound gear avail.
+2 i wouldve bought it last...
just imagine all the new stuff thats gonna be out when your done... will be worth less than half what u paid for it...