Supercharger project starting

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AJ
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by AJ »

markj113 wrote:
AJ wrote:What engine are you doing this on mate?
Im doing it on a GR but Rob Furniss fitted his to a GPX
Hmmm, intersting....

Is it that cheap to do out here guys?
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

AJ wrote:
markj113 wrote:
AJ wrote:What engine are you doing this on mate?
Im doing it on a GR but Rob Furniss fitted his to a GPX
Hmmm, intersting....

Is it that cheap to do out here guys?
ive had some great deals off ebay by hunting around the last couple of months, my advice is dont rush out and buy everything new take your time and get the ebay bargains :)
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

cheers for the tips. Will you post all items needed when finished?
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

AJ wrote:cheers for the tips. Will you post all items needed when finished?
No probs, ill take some detailed measurements of the supercharger mounting bracket when done so should be easy to copy my setup.
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

Had my first try at welding today with the easyweld stuff. Some success and some faliure on my first attempt.

The success, welded up the supercharger spacers for some extra strength and they turned out really nice -

the problem I had was welding up the cut down plenum to the box section, Was very hard to get enough heat into the piece to make things work. even with mapp gas. Ive now seperated the two pieces and im going to tin each part seperately then trying clamping them up ready for the weld and sticking it in the oven on max heat for 1/2 hour to see if it helps.

A bit of trial and error but im getting there and works out a lot cheaper than paying an ally welder to do the job and its half the fun having a go yourself.
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

i was reading the easyweld site and watched a video, it isn't technicaly "welding" as the base metal isn't melted, it's more like soldering or brazing. i would be doing a few test peices to check the strength before i trusted it for engine work. it might fatigue with vibration and fail. imo, i would pay to have it T.I.G welded.
oh and btw, i am a qualified welder.
my motto; do nothing, then rest.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

col2560 wrote:i was reading the easyweld site and watched a video, it isn't technicaly "welding" as the base metal isn't melted, it's more like soldering or brazing. i would be doing a few test peices to check the strength before i trusted it for engine work. it might fatigue with vibration and fail. imo, i would pay to have it T.I.G welded.
I couldnt agree more.
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

col2560 wrote:i was reading the easyweld site and watched a video, it isn't technicaly "welding" as the base metal isn't melted, it's more like soldering or brazing. i would be doing a few test peices to check the strength before i trusted it for engine work. it might fatigue with vibration and fail. imo, i would pay to have it T.I.G welded.
Im only using the easyweld for the light fab work that isnt going to be under much stress. The main load bearing part where I have to weld 2 pieces together where the supercharger bracket bolts to the car will be welded properly.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

personally i wouldnt use it for anything but hey thats just me
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

suprised the stuff is getting such a bad reaction with you boys, had a good read around and the stuff always gets very high reviews and there's also a guy on the ftooc "Metaldoc" (clues in the name) who a metal work expert who I pm'd and he said its excellent and uses it himself if working a remote location. He said as long as you follow the instructions to the letter you'll get good results.

a few vids here -

http://durafix.co.uk/pages.php?&pID=10
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

im not knocking it as a product because i have never used it. as long as you realise it's limitations there shouldn't be any problems, every welding product and technique has limitations. just the fact that it's not widely known or used is a worry for me.
i would ask around a few aluminium fabrication shops and get thier opinion, chances are they would have tried it before maybe. promo videos from the manufacturer would be biased toward thier own product.
i have seen demonstrations of easyweld at shows before, but they would never tell you its shortcomings.
keep up the info and pics, its all interesting.
my motto; do nothing, then rest.
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

Made some more progress on the plenum - nearly finished + ordered most of the bits needed to complete the project.

Have also sourced a dead engine to mock things up on before fitting to mine.

Is this the correct barb size to run to the FPR, boost gauges and greddy map sensor?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

think 1/8" is 3.5mm
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

Bit of an update, now finished the supercharger outlet plate and the bracket for the extra idler pulley I need to get more belt wrap around the alternator tensioner pulley.

Had some good luck too :)

Been to my mates babies first birthday party today and got chatting to a lecturer from a local tech college and he's offered to make me a custom double alternator tensioner pulley for free. Im dropping over the original pulley for him to copy tomorrow. He's also offered do any ally welding I need done for free too :D

Gives his students something interesting to work on and he refused point blank to take any cash for his help, nice guy.

Ive also just purchased a front and rear strut brace and im wondering if I could just weld the ally plate I have the supercharger mounted too directly to the strut brace as it would save me arsing around mounting a plate to the rear of the engine.

Had another bargain at 5.30am this morning, 6 X CDH210's for just over £12 delivered from the US. May be a little small but you OZ boys reckon 5psi is fine on standard injectors so 5 -6ish psi should be ok with 210's I hope. If not worth the £12 gamble anyway, can check the duty cycle with the emanage to check its running safely.

Also got a Walbro 255 ltr/h fuel pump on its way.

Plan for next week is to fit a new fuel filter, uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors.

Not far to go now I hope 8)
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Geez, how much luck can 1 guy have? Nice one. Who was the guy who did the GPX 'charger conversion in the UK? Where is plans much different to yours?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

sound like coming along nicely :twisted:
but i wouldnt be welding s/c to strut brace as this flexis a lot while driving around which as you know can could cause all sorts of issues (throwing belts etc) so would have it bracketed to engine
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

Main difference between mine and Rob's is that I am going to run without an intercooler as reading around online most people say its not needed for a low boost setup with a supercharger. Im also trying to mount the supercharger differently to avoid the need of a bonnet bulge.

Thanks for the info about the strut brace, I thought they were solid and wouldnt flex at all and thats how they improved the handling of the car.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

1) Agree with VIP, dont weld anything to the brace.
2) You cant check duty cycle with the emanage
3) Mate I would try not to change injectors at all. 6psi should be fine for standard injectors and many problems can arise from using non standard ones. SMooth running is just one such problem.
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

You can defo check injector duty cycle with the emanage, ive allready had a play and done it with the stock injectors. I do have the injector harness fitted too though.

A couple of pics of my project as it stands now -

Pulley and diagram has now gone off to the lecturer to make me up a custom double pulley.

Supercharger mounted to base plate with 65mm outlet fitted -

Custom plenum almost finished just have to tap a couple of holes for barbs and attach the box section to the plenum pipes -

and here's the bracket for the extra idler pulley to get more belt wrap around the alternator tensioner pulley. Trying to decide what pulley to use and edging towards an MX5 timing belt idler

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

How is this coming along mark?
markj113
Apprentice

Post by markj113 »

project is on hold at the moment due to winter and not having anywhere warm and dry to work in.

last thing ive done is upgrade the brakes ready for the extra power.

got these babies on with 330mm grooved and vented Aston DB9 discs -

before and after shot compared to standard GPX brakes -