Engine options

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by I8A4RE »

Tippin wrote:have a go at this one mate, if you can get it for around $2200-$2500 you will have a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Lance ... 334wt_1165

;)
THIS.... THAT IS DAMM CHEAP FOR A EVO 7 motor
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

RVRs are bybrids from VR4s and EVOs.

Depending on the model, you will get different bits from the lot.

Mine for example has the Lancer GSR (non evo) turbo on it.
Gearbox is from a galant, thought ever so slightly different.
engines from a vr4, though the head I have on it now is from an E3.

Go the 63 option, but just saves the hassles and get a 5+ engine.
Blad_The_Impaler

Post by Blad_The_Impaler »

Well, I have a RVR engine lined up, at a very good price - but before I hand over the dosh, the orientation of it, the gear box has to be on which side, the driver's or the passenger's...?

Also, as far as options go, the Eclipse... What side are their orientation on? It may be feasible to get one imported from state side...

The problem with going for a 5+ is, the availability from the sources over here (which is, BTW, I realise I forgot to say is NZ) is nil, and what I can get is 4G +... kinda fitting almost isn't it? lol
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Blad_The_Impaler wrote:Well, I have a RVR engine lined up, at a very good price - but before I hand over the dosh, the orientation of it, the gear box has to be on which side, the driver's or the passenger's...?

Also, as far as options go, the Eclipse... What side are their orientation on? It may be feasible to get one imported from state side...

The problem with going for a 5+ is, the availability from the sources over here (which is, BTW, I realise I forgot to say is NZ) is nil, and what I can get is 4G +... kinda fitting almost isn't it? lol
1g and 2g eclipse engines are based on the 4G63 out of the Evo/VR4 range... So wrong side for gearbox..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Blad_The_Impaler wrote:The problem with going for a 5+ is, the availability from the sources over here (which is, BTW, I realise I forgot to say is NZ) is nil, and what I can get is 4G +... kinda fitting almost isn't it? lol
You just got know where to look ;)

Plus there was a link a few posts up on evo 5 engine.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

EVO 1-3 (1G RVR, HG-HH VR4, 1G - 2G Eclipse) Easier, cheaper to buy motor!

EVO 4-9 (2G RVR, 3G Eclipse) Easier, cheaper to install! (go this option)

Last edited by Astron_Boy on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

The money that you save in going from a evo 1-3 engine you would easily spend AND MORE in turning it 180 degreed + you have an older less powerfull, engine. The whole reason Mitsubishi changed the engine around in the first place to achieve better balance the weight and eliminate torque steer.

1st Gen = 182kw
2nd Gen = 188 kW
3rd Gen = 201 kw
4th Gen = 206 kW
5th Gen = 206 kW
6th Gen = 246 kW
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I8A4RE wrote:The whole reason Mitsubishi changed the engine around in the first place to achieve better balance the weight and eliminate torque steer.

1st Gen = 182kw
2nd Gen = 188 kW
3rd Gen = 201 kw
4th Gen = 206 kW
5th Gen = 206 kW
6th Gen = 246 kW
Yep.

Those numbers are also only based off EVO motors.
RVR/ VR4/ Eclipse had different outputs again, some being as low as 150kw due to tiny turbo and autobox (autobox meant they would give it more boost downlow due to lag from 1st gear)
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

A mate of mine imported the 2G Eclipse engine fom the states.. as the same as the first Engine .. So same as Evo 1-3 ... Not same as Evo 4+

Also, F&F at the bigining Paul Walkers Eclipse was teh 2g ... Looking under the hood, confirms this ...

Here is the under hood of the 2G ...

I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

ooh, my bad, forgot the boxy shape before F&F model, and also forgot the F&F model :P

will amend my post.

As a small insight also, RVR 1G has CAS on intake cam pulley, means if you want cool colored cam pulleys, only buy 1 and get the other anodised or spray it :P
Blad_The_Impaler

Ok then. I'm sold. Evo 5+ it is :)

That Evo VII from above could be the ducks nuts for me I think...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

@Blad, you say engines of that range are hard to find over here, I beg to differ. In fact, I would say it's easier to find them here than in Aus.

Click this ---> Trademe listings, not sure if any are there, can't be bothered trawling through the listings, should find something.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Blad_The_Impaler

FTEvolution wrote:@Blad, you say engines of that range are hard to find over here, I beg to differ. In fact, I would say it's easier to find them here than in Aus.

Click this ---> Trademe listings, not sure if any are there, can't be bothered trawling through the listings, should find something.
Kempy's have none (ATM according to the guy who couldn't wait to get me off the phone), but can source them for 3.5k or more + GST, Engine Imports have none only the RVR for 2k. There is a Mk.IV on trademe for 3.5/3.6 buy now, and a flurry of the older series.
Blad_The_Impaler

Admittedly I have a few more options to check from first, but that is only of a couple of hours of hunting.

Can you recommend anywhere else?
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Tried eBay Aus with shipping?
Prices should be cheaper than what you're getting quoted.
RVR motors you can find for $900 with all the goodies from QLD.

Definitely would have thought NZ to be more plentiful.

Surprising to hear about Kempies giving you a rough ear, I've found Mark (a guy who works there) to be extremely helpful!
Blad_The_Impaler

Well, I'm bidding on that one linked above, hopefully that goes for a good price (read - steal ;) )

As for Kempy's I've dealt with them before, and they are good guy's, perhaps I miss read the tone, and the words, or perhaps it was just a bad day for the guy? I hold no grudge anyway. Perhaps they get a lot of people calling wanting prices for these?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Where in NZ are you Blad?

Have you tried wreckers or blairs (chch) I know that EVO motors are much more plentiful there than here mate and a lot cheaper too
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

If you are serious about it, don't rush. Keep trawling trademe. Get your supporting parts first then one will come along. Last year there was a forged 6.5 TME engine 2.2 stroked that went for $2.8k with heads, minus turbo/manifold/injectors

Also, call around some of the speedshops, they will often have customer contacts that the wreckers and other companies don't know about. Also, try www.msport.co.nz and www.mmc.org.nz as they both have large trade threads.

Good luck
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT