Engine options

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Blad_The_Impaler
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Engine options

Post by Blad_The_Impaler »

Gidday,

First, hi to all - very helpful website :)

I own a 95 Manual non-MIVEC with a 6A12 GR, and am looking at my options. I see there is a ton of information here, so forgive me for asking this.

But what would be my most viable option? Slapping a turbo on the side of the current engine or what I quite like the idea of is the 4G63T... or the seemingly much more popular 6A13TT option? I like the idea of the 63T as there is a ton of aftermarket options available for it..
Blad_The_Impaler

Sorry, hadn't noticed that I wasn't in the turbo section, thought I was :oops:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

well you can follow simons lead and slap on a turbo (not as simple as just bolt onthough)

6a13tt is most popular but not straight fit esp if keeping twin turbo

Evo motor easier fit but expensive to buy
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Moved :)

Yeah the 63 has bucket loads of nice after market parts, but will cost you more initially.

6A13's you can pickup for about a grand. Depending on how you do your install, can cost anything from about 8 grand to 20 grand. I went for the 20 grand option :? But its a f**ken weapon! :D
Blad_The_Impaler

Hey, thanks for the replies, and thanks for moving this after a 70hr week my head's not quite right lol

To be honest with you, I think I'd like to go with the 4G63T option the most. Doing the 6A13TT I would want to change it to single T and off the bat, I would rather have a stock set up to begin with and work on it over time. If I went the 6A13TT - would I be able to keep the gear box I have?

What would I be looking at for the 4G63T conversion, not so much price wise, but more work and component wise..?

I'm not building this for 1/4 mile or launching madness - the car is being built as a long haul, twistie's muncher :)

Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated :)
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

you can use current box with either setup

4G will mount up to current mounts will just need intercooer piping fabricated, not sure if turbo would have to be moved, slim line fans most likely needed, aftermarket ecu also required
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Housing on the FTO box will need to be modified to fit the 63. Not much, but a few holes dont line up.

Its important to keep the FTO box thou, as 3 out of the 4 engine mounts bolt to it...

FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

If you go the 63T make sure it is from an Evo 4+ because the gearboxes are obviously on the wrong side ont he earlier ones. Once you have an engine, source yourself some engine mounts from the GS FTO that has the wheezy 4G93 atmo engine; I believe that will be your best bet at mounting the bastage.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

As for what you need, if you are going to keep her stock for no; engine, loom, sensors, intercooler, fuel pump, oil cooler etc from the donor car (I have the VR4 fuel pump from the donor Legnum in mine). Then add intercooler piping, perhaps a custom radiator, definitely new radiator piping, new plumbing for the oil cooler, battery relocation (really should be done) and I cannot think of a lot more.

Would be nice to see another 4G63T FTO linked here, most are just pipe dreams so hop to it :) if I did it all again it would be a 4G.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

There's one here in Aus. Its for sale too...

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... sc&start=0

Dont forget thou, it should be a later model Evo motor, 5 & upwards. Anything but from a 4. They are the crank-walk models.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

FTEvolution wrote:If you go the 63T make sure it is from an Evo 4+ because the gearboxes are obviously on the wrong side ont he earlier ones. Once you have an engine, source yourself some engine mounts from the GS FTO that has the wheezy 4G93 atmo engine; I believe that will be your best bet at mounting the bastage.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Dont go evo 4. The engines had massive issues wih a little thing called crank walk.

Definitly go evo 5+
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

What about a 4G63T from a 6th generation VR4 Galant? Surely a half cut from a Galant would work out cheaper then an Evo V+.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

pete_gpx wrote:What about a 4G63T from a 6th generation VR4 Galant? Surely a half cut from a Galant would work out cheaper then an Evo V+.
FTEvolution wrote:because the gearboxes are obviously on the wrong side ont he earlier ones
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Whats stopping you from spinning it around 180 degrees?

Makes the turbo at the back (thats fine because all piping will have to be hand made anyway) and it puts your intake at the front of the car...
nathan
Grease Monkey

Post by nathan »

^^^^
wouldnt that make it run in reverse thou? lol
5 gears backwards an 1 forward ... lmao overtake someone on the freeway doin 130kmh backwards lol

unless you reversed the firing order too?
could possible solve it
im no mech or anything so if im wrong dont be too harsh lol
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:facepalm2:

lol, no. All motors spin clockwise when looking at the timing belt end.
Blad_The_Impaler

lol awesome :)

So as long as its not a Evo 4 series motor, it should be fine? Or was the CrankWalk issue solved post Evolution 4 series? Would a 63T from a RVR be a option...? or would it have to be a Evolution or VR4 series 63T...?

I'm guessing the factory Evo 63T's were tickled some compared to the likes of the VR4 or the RVR series...? Would that be a fair assumption?

I had to flip a north-south engine to a horizontal mount for a past project, would simply rotating the engine 180 degree's be difficult?

Sorry for the hundred questions :oops:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

evo 5+ issue was resolved

the RVR is identical to EVO

To flip it will require new mounts to be fab'd def easier to go with 5+ motor as said before virtualy straight fit just custom piping and engine managment need to be done.
But remember nothing is smooth sailing and almost never goes to plan
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

have a go at this one mate, if you can get it for around $2200-$2500 you will have a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Lance ... 334wt_1165

;)
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

flipping would be more trouble than it's worth, and I would assume it would require some pretty extensive bellhousing modifications to make a box fit. If I am wrong then blech :D

As for tickling? Much tickling was done to the Evo engines... the first VR4 (especially the RS engines) through to the EvoIII engines were hella strong; EvoIV was the first year that Mitsu started to worry about weight... I guess that is where they tried to shave the pounds as well as many other areas (the crank) though I do not actually have any idea what crank walk is (someone care to explain?).

Clicky --->Evolution model comparison

Select the models to compare for detailed number comparisons :)
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

RVR I believe is modeled off the earlier Evo's engine ...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb: