I8A4RE Turbo thread: Questions and Comments

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:Yeah, but not by much...

Say I get my goal of 200 at the wheels, thats a gain of say 80kws give or take for 10 grand. Thats $125 per kw.

With nos (2.5k to install), say I make an additional 50kws, then the total of 130kws is gained for $12,500. Thats $96 bucks a kw :D
yeah lets not include nos :P oh and you better be going to coffs cruise i want a run in your beast

Well hopefully now that the turbo is in with just a few (cheap) adjustments i can get my (personal) goal of 170kw. I would be extremely happy with that.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

I8A4RE wrote:

Say I get my goal of 200 at the wheels, thats a gain of say 80kws give or take for 10 grand. Thats $125 per kw.

With nos (2.5k to install), say I make an additional 50kws, then the total of 130kws is gained for $12,500. Thats $96 bucks a kw :D
yeah lets not include nos :P oh and you better be going to coffs cruise i want a run in your beast

Well hopefully now that the turbo is in with just a few (cheap) adjustments i can get my (personal) goal of 170kw. I would be extremely happy with that.
nooo don't do that! i dont want to see this nice build turn into heartache!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

jonowong wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:

nooo don't do that! i dont want to see this nice build turn into heartache!
Ah the stock engine can handle it and even if it doesnt the price for a new engine these days is so cheap.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Famous last words mate....

I was pushing 175 out of my old GPX engine.... it lasted around 4 months....

At least get some decompression gaskets.... u could install them urself and they only cost $150 or so.... and will save your engine from destroying rings...

a lot of work putting a new engine in.... better off saving the $$ and time and making the most out of your current one...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

FtoSam wrote:Famous last words mate....

At least get some decompression gaskets.... you could install them urself and they only cost $150 or so.... and will save your engine from destroying rings...

a lot of work putting a new engine in.... better off saving the $$ and time and making the most out of your current one...
Seriously if i blow the engine it will take me one weekend to replace it and i can pick one up for $450. No bother mate

Kermut has been running 8 pound for yrs with no decomp gasket (and factory ecu). I have also spoken to my tuner and they are more than confident that the engine can handle 8psi
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I8A4RE wrote:

At least get some decompression gaskets.... you could install them urself and they only cost $150 or so.... and will save your engine from destroying rings...

Seriously if i blow the engine it will take me one weekend to replace it and i can pick one up for $450. No bother mate

Kermut has been running 8 pound for yrs with no decomp gasket (and factory ecu). I have also spoken to my tuner and they are more than confident that the engine can handle 8psi
knocks on wood :twisted:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:

You're giving me some ideas now simon..

where can you find a good cond engine for that much?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

they come up on ebay every now and again. Ill keep my out for you.

Aza......why mate......why? Why the, doubt :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

lol, this thread could do a 180 and start from page 1.
Jut do a review on that and the whole decomp gasket comes back up. :lol:

I admire the risk ;)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

MAD-FTO wrote:lol, this thread could do a 180 and start from page 1.
Jut do a review on that and the whole decomp gasket comes back up. :lol:

I admire the risk ;)
I know :lol:

One person's engine blows up out of all the turbo's out there and everyone starts "crying, decomp gasket" :lol:

I was going through all my pics the other day and started to realise there are actually heaps of turbo'ed FTO's now and thats only ones we know about :D
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Where's the faith?....lol :lol: Simon mate, you know what you're doing so go for broke. Worse case like you said is that the motor blows which you could replace over a weekend. In saying that though, you've got a gr a motor which is stronger then a gpx and has been known to handle 8psi before. Remember though, check/change your spark plugs frequently cos a turbo can go through them quickly

I.M.O. it really comes down the tuning of it all. It can make or break your engine. APC are a top tuner so I don't think you have much to worry about. Keep us posted mate. Oh and btw, in continuing with the 180 turn of this thread...like i said before i recommend you get a heat bag for your turbo. :lol: It'd be good to get some of the temps down & might even help you reaching your 170atw kw goal.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I8A4RE wrote:Aza......why mate......why? Why the, doubt :lol:
:lol: just so I dont reed that some thing has gone wrong not that it will.

knocks on wood again lol
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yano28 wrote:Where's the faith?....lol :lol: Simon mate, you know what you're doing so go for broke. Worse case like you said is that the motor blows which you could replace over a weekend. In saying that though, you've got a gr a motor which is stronger then a gpx and has been known to handle 8psi before. Remember though, check/change your spark plugs frequently cos a turbo can go through them quickly

I.M.O. it really comes down the tuning of it all. It can make or break your engine. APC are a top tuner so I don't think you have much to worry about. Keep us posted mate. Oh and btw, in continuing with the 180 turn of this thread...like i said before i recommend you get a heat bag for your turbo. :lol: It'd be good to get some of the temps down & might even help you reaching your 170atw kw goal.
Yeah man i totally agree, next stage is heat sheilding, fabricate box for air filter and new FPR and new fuel pump....................... then more boost :twisted:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yano28 wrote:Where's the faith?....lol :lol: Simon mate, you know what you're doing so go for broke. Worse case like you said is that the motor blows which you could replace over a weekend. In saying that though, you've got a gr a motor which is stronger then a gpx and has been known to handle 8psi before. Remember though, check/change your spark plugs frequently cos a turbo can go through them quickly

Where have you heard that the GR is stronger than the GPX?? I thought that other than the Mivec Cams there are no differences in them.. but I don't see why they would cause it to be "weaker"? :?

I may be wrong, but from what I've read, the only reason it is thought to be "better" to turbo a GR, is because of people picking tuners who don't know how to tune a Mivec car properly..

I can't see that there would be much of a difference between turboing a GPX & turboing a VTEC YO!!!!! with high comp ratios .. & they seem to hit some decent psi figures.. 7, 8 , 9 etc..
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

lol, now Simon's going to go off at me for comparing FTO's to Preludes or so ;) :P lol!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No actually i wont. Your dead right mr c, the same principles apply.

Seriously, as stated before i haves seen more gpx turbo's than gr's. No offence to anyone but just cause sam's failed doesnt mean they all will.

I am not about to go into any more detail than that on here, if you have questions PM me
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

yeh i may be wrong but i've been under the belief the gr motor was stronger. Gpx's can suffer from oil starvation cos of the high speed cams, have a slightly higher compression than gr 6a12's, plus i've seen a lot of people's posts on here saying they need a new gpx motor. Hardly see gr engines dying. Like i said, i could be wrong though.

The debate about gpx's being turbo'd has been covered many times before.. I've researched the differences between our motors and the hondas regarding turbocharging & my conclusion is that sadly the honda motors have been better built to cope with forced induction & that because the vtech is electronically controlled, it's easier to factor in. I know there's a few turbo'd gpx's which run around 5psi but majority have come that way from japan. I'd absolutley love a turbo'd gpx though
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I think what got me interested in the Turbo FTO was the MIVEC part.
Cant remember the exact story, read it online.
But an importer travels to Japan, sees a clean looking FTO, pops the bonnet and ends up keeping the car himself.
Had turbo MIVEC, and a heap of goodies all in niche hidden places.

Was very cool, but even the owner didn't know the extent of the mods to be able to recreate it.

Spose its only from peeps doing the mods and pushing them to limits we will find out.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

yano28 wrote:yeh i may be wrong but i've been under the belief the gr motor was stronger. Gpx's can suffer from oil starvation cos of the high speed cams, have a slightly higher compression than gr 6a12's, plus i've seen a lot of people's posts on here saying they need a new gpx motor. Hardly see gr engines dying. Like i said, i could be wrong though.

The debate about gpx's being turbo'd has been covered many times before.. I've researched the differences between our motors and the hondas regarding turbocharging & my conclusion is that sadly the honda motors have been better built to cope with forced induction & that because the vtech is electronically controlled, it's easier to factor in. I know there's a few turbo'd gpx's which run around 5psi but majority have come that way from japan. I'd absolutley love a turbo'd gpx though
Ok well im the new tubo gpx'er havnt started yet but everything is almost ready.

A) Honda engines are a lot stronger ( i might get flamed for this meh my opinion)

B) if the oil return line from the turbo is set up right you hsouldnt have any oil starvation issues since its gravity forced fed...However im paranoid so as we speak some mechanical engineers at RMIT are making me a small pump that goes inbetween the turbo and oil return line and is now forcing oil down (being designed now) they are just determining with my tuner at what rate the oil should be pumped in and then out...

C)Gpx engines break more because people re the hell out of them more to get to MIVEC

D) People turbo GR enginers cus they cbf doing a decompression head gasket on a gpx..

E)Moving your compression from the stock 10:1 -> 8.5:1 is done with a decomp gasket and you dont run the risk of blowing up anything on 6psi boost.

F) My tuner who i spoke to who works for RAJAB Performace said they have the Evolution factory tune settings, and have also said that they reccomend having the high profile cams always engaged or engaging at 2500rpm. getting a tuner who knows what there doing= Engine living-------tuner doesnt know what there doing = BLOWS UP

Follow all the above you turbo your GPX Safely.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The oil starvation issue has nothing to do with the turbo, its to do with Mivec - the whole Mivec system is oil operated, the sump gets sucked dry during mivec, so continual use of Mivec is what kills it, not the turbo oil feed.