I8A4RE Turbo thread: Questions and Comments

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by I8A4RE »

Amacha, i would have just made a separate sump altogether for the turbo.... that woulod completely remove the risk.

Guys it can be done, has been done and will continue to be done to gpx's.

But seriously after you turbo you wont even be thinkning about mivec......... ;)
E)Moving your compression from the stock 10:1 -> 8.5:1 is done with a decomp gasket and you dont run the risk of blowing up anything on 6psi boost.
Mate do you know what happens when you lower compression??
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

I8A4RE wrote:Amacha, i would have just made a separate sump altogether for the turbo.... that woulod completely remove the risk.

Guys it can be done, has been done and will continue to be done to gpx's.

But seriously after you turbo you wont even be thinkning about mivec......... ;)
E)Moving your compression from the stock 10:1 -> 8.5:1 is done with a decomp gasket and you dont run the risk of blowing up anything on 6psi boost.
Mate do you know what happens when you lower compression??
seperate sump hey....that just got me thinking actually,you still need a pump though for the oil to go up from the sump to the turbo.

Yep when you lower the compression you are basically making more room in the cylinder, on a N/A car the car will become very slugish hoever on a turbo car it is exactly what the doctor ordered.
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

This has probely been mentioned before but is there a high flow oil pump that can replace the stock unit? That way you can overcome the current issue of starvation for the mivec and allso supply enough oil to the turbo.
going fast doesn't kill you, it's the sudden stop that does.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

DaveO wrote:This has probely been mentioned before but is there a high flow oil pump that can replace the stock unit? That way you can overcome the current issue of starvation for the mivec and allso supply enough oil to the turbo.
Good point ^^

Or if you really wanted to nip the issue in the bud, and there isn't a direct replacement hiflow unit, you could always use an big external pump.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

DaveO wrote:This has probely been mentioned before but is there a high flow oil pump that can replace the stock unit? That way you can overcome the current issue of starvation for the mivec and allso supply enough oil to the turbo.
WOW didnt think of that ill look at it try find a unit and get back to use
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

AMACHA wrote:
WOW didnt think of that ill look at it try find a unit and get back to you
Look into the 6A13 pump AMACHA, its apparently bullet proof (as all factory turbo Mitsi motor ones are) and it'll fit into the same slot I'd imagine as the block is the same...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

HOW ABOUT GET YOUR F&*KEN THREAD LOL.

@ amacha
Yeah its going to be real sluggish down low and because your only going to be using 6 pound..... i dear say you will actually have a slower car down the qtr and 0-100km. Just making you aware mate cause i would not consider doing this and i can see turning around in 6months time i shouldnt of turbo'ed its a waste of time and money blah blah
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

I8A4RE wrote:HOW ABOUT GET YOUR F&*KEN THREAD LOL.

@ amacha
Yeah its going to be real sluggish down low and because your only going to be using 6 pound..... i dear say you will actually have a slower car down the qtr and 0-100km. Just making you aware mate cause i would not consider doing this and i can see turning around in 6months time i shouldnt of turbo'ed its a waste of time and money blah blah
why would it be slower and slugih down low? i thought if anyhting i would havea lot more acceleration and torque down low?
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

^^ I agree with Simon. Because you plan to lower your compression and only run mild boost I think you would be lucky to achieve the same acceleration as the stock engine and compression.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Jamie wrote:^^ I agree with Simon. Because you plan to lower your compression and only run mild boost I think you would be lucky to achieve the same acceleration as the stock engine and compression.
Well couldnt have said it better ;)

Ok im really tired and CBF typing a long winded explanation. But i will just add on what jamie has said. low compression = slow. But in normal turbo setup the turbo compensates for slowness at the start by making up for it later in the rev range.

With your setup your going to be slow off mark then only a slight boost to make up for it...... it just wont be worth it and you will be dissapointed. but hey thats just my 2 cents you seem convinced on that being the correct way to go, im only trying to give you an insight into what i believe the outcome will be.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

I8A4RE wrote:
Jamie wrote:^^ I agree with Simon. Because you plan to lower your compression and only run mild boost I think you would be lucky to achieve the same acceleration as the stock engine and compression.
Well couldnt have said it better ;)

Ok im really tired and CBF typing a long winded explanation. But i will just add on what jamie has said. low compression = slow. But in normal turbo setup the turbo compensates for slowness at the start by making up for it later in the rev range.

With your setup your going to be slow off mark then only a slight boost to make up for it...... it just wont be worth it and you will be dissapointed. but hey thats just my 2 cents you seem convinced on that being the correct way to go, im only trying to give you an insight into what i believe the outcome will be.
so is you current setup slow off the mark? that is what i am after acceleration from stand still or well from 2000rpm and a torque kickback. So does this mean your setup is slower than your car originally : :?:
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

i dont think he has changed compression ratios, i think thats what he is trying to explain ...
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

tippin9 wrote:i dont think he has changed compression ratios, i think thats what he is trying to explain ...
bingo ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

vipfto wrote:
tippin9 wrote:i dont think he has changed compression ratios, i think thats what he is trying to explain ...
bingo ;)
;) Bingo bango.

No mate, mine is definitly not slow off the mark (especially once i perfect my launches) :twisted:
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

I8A4RE wrote:
vipfto wrote:
bingo ;)
;) Bingo bango.

No mate, mine is definitly not slow off the mark (especially once i perfect my launches) :twisted:
ah crap forgot that you didnt do a decomp head gasket.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

So simon .. How long has it actually been so far & now you already have the hunger for more power? :roll: :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:So simon .. How long has it actually been so far & now you already have the hunger for more power? :roll: :lol:
Its not that...... But when a opportunity comes up at such a great price you do have to consider it...... I'm sure a lot of people did.

But i have decided to leave as is and consentrate on the evo project
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:So simon .. How long has it actually been so far & now you already have the hunger for more power? :roll: :lol:
Its not that...... But when a opportunity comes up at such a great price you do have to consider it...... I'm sure a lot of people did.

But i have decided to leave as is and consentrate on the evo project
it is very tempting.. some people might not be able to resist..
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

haha i know i gave in to temptation and went and did the 6a13tt. Soon as ben started i knew i wanted more power
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

nvr2low wrote:haha i know i gave in to temptation and went and did the 6a13tt. Soon as ben started i knew i wanted more power
yep, just like a good little Lemming ;)

...jokes ... settle down :P