GPX TURBO :D

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverGPX
9.5"
jedwabna poszewka promocja

GPX TURBO :D

Post by silverGPX »

Few Questions.

I have access to a FREE Low km's TD04, intercooler, BOV.

Im not going to run anymore than 7-8psi.

Ive got an exhaust shop less than a half a kay away, who said he can make me up anything i want.

All i want to know is should i lower the compression, do i need a new fuel pump and/or injectors?

What ECU/Piggyback ECU do you reccommend. Should i get a mivec controller? or is that controlled by the aftermarket ECU?

Is a Galant oil pump a good idea for the oil starvation in the heads?

Am i better off running mivec at 500rpm so theres no headaches with tuning or setting it up for 4500rpm to spool the turbo quick?
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: GPX TURBO :D

Post by silverGPX »

oh and ill be getting a fuel pressure regulator and that uprated fuel pump from camskill.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

new pump and larger injectors will help but think they will handle 5 psi nicely
Try haltech tried and proven and many tuners in aus
Pretty sure galant pump is same (6a12 series) most likely a 6A13 would suit better
You can set the mivec however you want with piggy back ecu tuning for that should be fairly easy

Basically I would just do the turbo first run @ 5psi for a while then up it slightly, If it all goes bang its bugger all to replace motor as you already have piping etc ready to go wont have to pay for whole conversion again
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

my mates got a fuel rail and injectors off a gsr would they fit and i just get two more?

okay 6a13 oil pump it is. Does it need tuning or just pumps it thru quicker?

And will be 2.5 inch exhaust be alright?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

I have to pull the engine down too, for the blown headgasket, i really need to know about a decompression gasket, is it nessacary?
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

Ask Sam. He'll tell you about decompression plate.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Preety sure you will have to do. As to your mivec controller, it will be controlled through your ECU. And to your next question, I think you'd be better of going with Haltech.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Well doing the decompression plate is a pretty big deal because lowering the compression will make my car gutless so i will definetly have to turbo it.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

And I think you'd need your exhaust to go 3" if you turboing
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Nah i dont want to as of yet, it seems to flow pretty well as it is.

I want it to be turboed first and able to run.

Would the Haltech interceptor platinum be suitable for this application??
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

3" all the way through?

i'm interested in all the turbo talk as i'm looking for a GR engine or somebody thats turboing a gpx engine to see what i'm up for.

gunna buy a bike as a daily commute to take the fto off the road for 2-3 months :D
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Yeah its good for me cos im losing my license for 6 months, im buying a cressida as a daily when i get off the suspension. for pretty cheap daily.

So im not too worried. I just want to make sure i have all the right parts before i do anything. And ive already started off with the right turbo and intercooler for free.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Yeh I believe the Haltech Interceptor Platinum will be a good choice, but gonna need to run it by bennoz/simon first.

Take your time buying the items and wait for the right price bro to keep the prices down.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ok, here's your parts list with ballpark figures:

Full gasket kit, inc head gaskets & seals (and if you decompress with plates you'll need 4 head gaskets) - last price I saw on these was around $400
Timing belt, tensioners (would do this as a matter of course) - $250
Water pump (would do this as a matter of course) - $100
Fuel pump (Walbro in-tank 255l/h) - $150
Sard FPR - $200
6A13 injectors - $400
6A13 oil pump - $200
3inch exhaust with high flow cat, resonator & muffler - $1000
If you want good headers buy an RPW or hurricane set - $500
Custom piping inc dumps etc from headers mated to turbo & exhaust - $500
Haltech Interceptor (with install & tune) - $1500
Sundry Item (filters, fluids, gasket goos etc etc) - $200

So there's $5200 - then add labour for the things you cant do.

Then there's things you haven't mentioned yet:
Clutch to hold all this power - $400 (plus or minus labour to remove & reinstall the box)
Brakes to haul it up - $500 (for say, slotted rotors, good quality pads and a dot 5 fluid flush)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a Mivec engine, I'd go buy an old non mivec dunger & do all this to it.
The whole Mivec system was specifically designed to give more power on Naturally Aspirated engines - not turbos.
All the f**king around you'll run into trying to set mivec kick in points vs spool up & tuning it all together
will be a nightmare. Plus, if you went non mivec, you could theorectically use 6A13 cams - a profile designed
for turbo. In fact, all these 6A13 bits your using, may as well buy the whole damn 6A13 engine! :D
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

All i want to know is should i lower the compression, do i need a new fuel pump and/or injectors? - Yes, your going to have the head off so why not. Yes you will need a new pump and injectors

What ECU/Piggyback ECU do you reccommend. Should i get a mivec controller? or is that controlled by the aftermarket ECU? Haltech Platnium for sure. No dont worry about a mivec controller

Is a Galant oil pump a good idea for the oil starvation in the heads? You need to do more research, oil starvation is BS comes down to crappy workmanship

Am i better off running mivec at 500rpm so theres no headaches with tuning or setting it up for 4500rpm to spool the turbo quick?Talk to APC in underwood the are always tuning mivecs
silverGPX wrote:Nah i dont want to as of yet, it seems to flow pretty well as it is.

I want it to be turboed first and able to run.

Would the Haltech interceptor platinum be suitable for this application??
:facepalm: Turbo is a completly different kettle of fish. What "flows nicely" for a N/A is completely different to what "flows nicely" for a trubo. DO A 3" inch exhaust
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

:lol: ^^^

I wish it was as simple as puting the engine in and that was it :(
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

why do i need a sard fpr? surely there is a cheaper brand.

cant i use magna injectors? or the RPW ones?

can i just use an ecu pinout diagram to wire it in myself?

Just went and talked to my exhaust guy, he can do a 3" dumppipe and we looked at my system as of now and i have a 2.5 inch exhaust right up to just before the muffler then it steps up to 3". So all i need is 3" cat, piping and resonator. He said he can do up pipes and intercooler piping as well.

i also have 10000KM old front rotors with ebc reds, freshly machined rear rotors with brand new soft pads. i have a heavy duty clutch replaced only 40000KM ago.

I also already have performance extractors.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Okay turns out i dont have a blown headgasket after i blasted the crap out of my radiator for several hours with water and compressed air. Sits colder than it ever has before.

I still want to do this though.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Bennoz wrote: Haltech Interceptor (with install & tune) - $1500
I got quoted $3k. Where do I get it for $1500?
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

AJ wrote:
Bennoz wrote: Haltech Interceptor (with install & tune) - $1500
I got quoted $3k. Where do I get it for $1500?
Deposit your moneys into the Bank of Nigeria, they will sort the rest out.