HKS FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Supplanter
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: HKS FTO

Post by Supplanter »

A little bit of discretion, AJ 8O
LED ALL the things.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

AJ took me for a spin in HKS today :twisted: and I even got to have a drive 8)
There is two things I found out today:-
1. Turbos make me :D :D :D :D
2. I can't drive a tip :? Changed up to 2nd and hit the brake at the same time to change gears :roll: .
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

After Aza did that I was like 8O have I done the right thing in letting him drive??? But nah, we had a good run :twisted:

Thanks for fitting my harness today Aza and for getting the screw out of my seat so that I can now add my camera mount again and save Mrs AJ from trying to keep a steady hand when taking in car footage of me hooning around :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20110911_131813.jpg
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

AJ wrote:After Aza did that I was like 8O have I done the right thing in letting him drive??? But nah, we had a good run :twisted:

Thanks for fitting my harness today Aza and for getting the screw out of my seat so that I can now add my camera mount again and save Mrs AJ from trying to keep a steady hand when taking in car footage of me hooning around :lol:
Nothing worse then a Mrs without a steady hand..

Thanks for the sand blasting today Aza.. And I love how fast u guys came out when the twin wastegates opened on the Evo.. Too bad Mr Highway Patroll was hanging around the area..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Update - feedback on HKS FTO from today's track day @ Wakefield.

A few weeks ago when I was hiving the issues with hitting Mivec in 3rd, while everyone I spoke to said "Get a computer" Aza suggested topping up the oil so I did and now I don't have any issues with this -proven :D

The car cut out a few times during a bit of 'spirited' driving on the streets now and again. Again I was advised to "Get a computer" So when it happened again on the track, I checked my battery in the boot and the cable was loose. Aza tightened the clamps up and I didn't have any more issues with that :D

The third thing had me stumped, why did the car cut out when driving it hard in the heat? "Get a computer" had been the cries, well it turns out I only needed two things. 1. Keep my eye on the temp needle. 2. Top up the coolant. After Bennoz kindly donated about 3 litres of his own secret blend of magic coolant and I remembered to keep an eye on the temp needle and know when to take it easy and when I could give it a boot, I really enjoyed myself more.

The fourth thing that I learnt today was that HKSFTO likes to over heat after about 1 fast lap. The reason being that the radiator has an oil cooler, transmission oil cooler and an inter-cooler all in front of it. So I'm going to need to relocate as many of these as possible to allow the radiator to do it's job.

So for now, I won't be getting a computer and I'm really glad that I've saved around $3k :lol:
The brakes, suspension, gear box and engine were all fantastic. I think that a set of proper rubber would have helped my confidence, maybe I'll do that seeing as I've saved the $3k ;)

Anyway, first thing I think will be to try to relocate the things in front of the radiator. Shane also suggested trying to box the area around the radiator to force as much air in as possible. A vented bonnet may also help the heat escape. A new front bar isn't out of the question at the moment either....watch this space. (Hand's up if you want to volunteer)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

DIFAJD? :lol:

good to hear it was stupid minor issues.

Bennoz special blend ahh.... hmmmmmmm :silent:

Don't replace the bumper. lol it's an HKS bumper!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:jerk:
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Get a computer :lol:
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

AJ wrote:

Anyway, first thing I think will be to try to relocate the things in front of the radiator. Shane also suggested trying to box the area around the radiator to force as much air in as possible. A vented bonnet may also help the heat escape. A new front bar isn't out of the question at the moment either....watch this space. (Hand's up if you want to volunteer)

AJ, before that, try removing that long rubber seal strip under the rear of the bonnet - easy to remove, and easily reversible and koolio1234 has given feedback about getting less engine bay heat from this. But do this at your own risk :lol: the only thing i was concerned about when i did this was if it rains and water seeps in... Have a think about it?
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Gholdwayne wrote:AJ, before that, try removing that long rubber seal strip under the rear of the bonnet - easy to remove, and easily reversible and koolio1234 has given feedback about getting less engine bay heat from this. But do this at your own risk :lol: the only thing i was concerned about when i did this was if it rains and water seeps in... Have a think about it?
Yeah, it was suggested but I really don't think that it'll make the difference I need. Ben has removed his and he still had the over heating issue too. Basically we have both blocked our radiators. Aza, who has nothing in front of his radiator didn't get anywhere near over heating and he ran fast laps all day.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

AJ wrote:
Gholdwayne wrote:AJ, before that, try removing that long rubber seal strip under the rear of the bonnet - easy to remove, and easily reversible and koolio1234 has given feedback about getting less engine bay heat from this. But do this at your own risk :lol: the only thing i was concerned about when i did this was if it rains and water seeps in... Have a think about it?
Yeah, it was suggested but I really don't think that it'll make the difference I need. Ben has removed his and he still had the over heating issue too. Basically we have both blocked our radiators. Aza, who has nothing in front of his radiator didn't get anywhere near over heating and he ran fast laps all day.
But Aza doesn't have a hairdryer heating things up.. If you feel the heat difference from under the hood of both cars, u will understand. A stock 4G63 N/A puts out bugger all heat.. But feel the difference from my turbo manifold and heat wrap.. It cooks everything.. Running the 4G63T.. My Sonata had the G4CP engine (Hyundai's version of the 63) and barely got hot.. After engine conversion, it cooked all the under bonnet heat shield.. U could even see where some of it was burnt..

U may also wanna look at your radiator fans? What type are they? How efficient are they? This will also play a part... A very important one. If they are stock, then they wont be performing near the standard u need em to be at..

Glad to hear that things went well on the track.. At our last conversation though, u were saying the car wasn't overheating when it cut out? Only that time at Dwayne's did the gauge run hot? Which is why everyone was stumped for answers. Hence why it was also suggested to see if any error codes were thrown when the car wouldn't start..
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Upgraded radiator fans didn't help Ben out so I'm not going to go down that path yet.

I've got another issue now. When stopped at the lights or a junction etc the revs drop really low and it eventually stalls if I don't keep the revs up with the throttle. It happened the other night too. At the lights my dash lights were dimming in and out in time with the indicator blinking and and the volts were dropping in time. The car was sounding like it was going to stall unless I gave it a little gas to keep the revs above 750. Ideas?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

AJ wrote:Upgraded radiator fans didn't help Ben out so I'm not going to go down that path yet.

I've got another issue now. When stopped at the lights or a junction etc the revs drop really low and it eventually stalls if I don't keep the revs up with the throttle. It happened the other night too. At the lights my dash lights were dimming in and out in time with the indicator blinking and and the volts were dropping in time. The car was sounding like it was going to stall unless I gave it a little gas to keep the revs above 750. Ideas?
Idle controller? Is that still connected or bypassed through piggy back?
Alternator could be on the way out.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

rock_it wrote:Idle controller? Is that still connected or bypassed through piggy back?
No idea...Anything I can do to test?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

AJ wrote:
rock_it wrote:Idle controller? Is that still connected or bypassed through piggy back?
No idea...Anything I can do to test?
What is the reading on the volt gauge when this happens?
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Between 11-13.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

AJ wrote:Between 11-13.
Hmm.. Not too low..

Ok.. To be accurate.. Get a DMM, and pull a reading off the alternator, or relay. See if it is charging the car at 13 volts + at idle.. Should be between 13 to 14 volts..

Could be alternator, or the relay.. Not sure how the FTO is set up.. But the Hilux had a separate relay box that was not charging the battery properly..

But if lights/indicator are draining the current, it sounds like the altenator is not kicking in to stabilize.. Like when you have a large stereo drawing current..
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

AJ wrote:
What about radiator/intercooler spray kit? not water mist sprayer but the liquid CO2.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

phunkydude wrote:
What about radiator/intercooler spray kit? not water mist sprayer but the liquid CO2.
Yep, that's a good option, was the only way we could keep my turbo Supra racecar under 100deg :evil:

Only problem is you're adding quite a bit of weight as you'll need at least 10 litres for a session on the track.

Better option is to clear the radiator opening and box it in.

Re electrical problem, sounds like alternator or maybe even the battery dying?
Lawso
Penis Fingers

Post by Lawso »

AJ wrote: Yeah, it was suggested but I really don't think that it'll make the difference I need. Ben has removed his and he still had the over heating issue too. Basically we have both blocked our radiators. Aza, who has nothing in front of his radiator didn't get anywhere near over heating and he ran fast laps all day.
Not that it really matters, but on my last run of the day, my fto was overheating. Not that I give 2 sh*ts, but I find it interesting