HKS FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AJ
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

HKS FTO

Post by AJ »

This is where I'm going to keep the updates for HKS FTO now.

So we took it to Envy Dyno yesterday and got it up on the hoist to take a look underneath. First thing we noticed was that the piping at the front is pretty narrow and there is room to enlarge that. Plus the welding wasn't the best and there was at least 1 small leak in one of the joins. The rest of the exhaust is 2.5 inch so doesn't look like it'll need a whole new system so might just look into redoing the parts nearer the engine. (Ben, please feel free to jump in and get a bit more technical here :)

There was a shredded belt (see pics below) so we replaced that (thanks to Ben!) and also a small oil leak but we can't tell where from at the moment so Ben degreased that and we'll have another look again soon and see if we can tell where it's coming from.

It has 1 half sized inter cooler and 2 radiators. We're thinking for transmission and oil. See pics below.

Ben and Steve took it for a spin while we waited for Envy to open and both agreed that it handeled well. I'm not sure what suspension it has but here's a picture anyway.

It does have a strut bar on the front but not the back.

Next up was to put it on the dyno for a power run but as you may have read in the other section it was running super lean so thankfully Herman (dyno guy) didn't push it (like he did with Bens once upon a time) and blow anything up. He doesn't know how to tune the HKS computers scattered all over the cockpit so we elected not to try and touch them. Pictures of them to come soon. They are old stock now so the advice is to go with a new Haltec piece but we'll see what we can do with what it's got once the fuel filter is replaced on Tuesday or Wednesday.

One thing Herman asked me was "Have you red-lined it yet?" When I said that I had, a few times in fact he looked amazed and said that it must have strengthened internals because it should have blown up by now 8O I am not taking it over 3k from now on until fuel filter change and a proper dyno tune has been done.

With the sale of the car I got all the HKS manuals so I'll hand them over to Envy when I take the car to them, hopefully on Thursday so it's ready for the weekend.

Here are the dyno clips anyway. Not very exciting and i didn't bother getting the graphs.

The set up...

The half power run...
Kustom
Oldtimer

Re: HKS FTO

Post by Kustom »

Nice project thread dude
Taz wrote:When funds allow
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Good project thread AJ, keep us updated :D cant wait till i see the dyno figures :twisted:
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

I like this thread!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I can help you out with some engine bay clean ups if you want :D
ie. Air box and some polishing :twisted:

That reminds me I still have to finish Ben's and Kaz's aim :lol:
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

much jealous...

bastard
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

mine also ran super super lean for a couple of months. i was in the same situation and my tuner looked at me in shock about how my engine hadnt blown up or melted a piston.

im pretty sure mine doesnt have strenghtened internals.

maybe fto's can handle it better?
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

Aza, yes, much love is needed in the 'making bits shiny department' we'll talk at the weekend ;-) 1 headlight desperately needs your TLC.

I wonder if I can bake the lights at Dwaynes and get them painted black. What kind of paint would I need? I don't want a gloss finish, just a matte black I think, thoughts anyone?

Also, I need to reverse the tip box to be like my old one. Again, shouldn't be too hard to do at Dwaynes.

It's also going to need a new mushroom filter. I think Ebay is the way to go for this. Ben said he'd post a link up...
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I will bring some stuff down with me on the weekend to get started on it for you AJ :D
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

AJ wrote:
I wonder if I can bake the lights at Dwaynes and get them painted black. What kind of paint would I need? I don't want a gloss finish, just a matte black I think, thoughts anyone?
bunnings have 'fiddly bits' flat black spray cans for $3.99
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

your still keeping the white/blue colour scheme right?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

i reckon paint the inside of the lights white. and get the real white HID's 4000k. would look good.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

AJ, ive got a Version R rear brace if you are looking as well. Sent you a PM
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, the piping under the car is a bit how you going, whilst its purposeful, it could be done better. Intercooler could be bigger & a better setup.
    I've never been a fan of those dual entry on the one side units, better flow from entry one side, exit the other. The exhaust itself is a 2.5"
    aftermarket arrangement. Again, its a bit of a bitsa, could well be upgraded to 3 inch & have a highflow cat thrown in.

That oil leak will more than likely be the sump gasket, might be one for John to check AJ. Maybe even fix if he can.

But yeah, running as lean as 17:1 at about 6 grand.... just like mine was before the clogged fuel filter was swapped out.

Down the track, yeah a full Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 would be the key to replacing all those little old school computers.
    SchumieFan
    Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

sounds like you could easily spend 5 grand on it...

or sell it straight away for a tidy profit :D
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

keep the old school computers! :P spend the money on piping lol.
    FTO_GPvR
    Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

AJ wrote:I wonder if I can bake the lights at Dwaynes and get them painted black. What kind of paint would I need? I don't want a gloss finish, just a matte black I think, thoughts anyone?

It's also going to need a new mushroom filter. I think Ebay is the way to go for this. Ben said he'd post a link up...
    Just a idea AJ, instead of baking your headlights and painting them black, why dont you just swap them over for a stock pair that Dwayne has? That way you dont have to paint them. Im sure he has a couple of spare headlights?

And yeah i remember at the bonfire in april that the air filter was pretty dirty, get a HKS mushroom air filter ;)
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

AJ, can you measure the diametre of that filter? (at the base where it connects to the pipe, need to know how wide it is.)

Think it will be 150mm, just wanna check.
    Supplanter
    Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

LED ALL the things.
    AJ
    Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Bennoz wrote:AJ, can you measure the diametre of that filter? (at the base where it connects to the pipe, need to know how wide it is.)

Think it will be 150mm, just wanna check.
    It's a bit bigger than that...