Robs new project Supercharger

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Technikhaus
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Robs new project Supercharger

Post by Technikhaus »

Looks good mate!
How long do you think until it's done?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

It's almost back together, maybe starting it up again tonight and if the belt doesn't jump off then I just have the throttle cable to sort out - should be first drive sometime this week.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Rob Furniss wrote:It's almost back together, maybe starting it up again tonight and if the belt doesn't jump off then I just have the throttle cable to sort out - should be first drive sometime this week.
We want a video like last time! :lol:

That sound is pr0n!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote:It's almost back together, maybe starting it up again tonight and if the belt doesn't jump off then I just have the throttle cable to sort out - should be first drive sometime this week.
We want a video like last time! :lol:

That sound is pr0n!
Ha ha will do, I can't wait to hear the sound again myself!
I'm expecting low low boost at the moment as i've still got the stock 65mm pulley on the charger but want to get it running ok first before ordering a smaller one to up the boost.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Started it up again - damn and blast I still have issues!
I have some vac leaks (I think) as it sounded dead sort of lumpy and like it was going to stall - I think the black plastic charger intake pipe has too much weight on it as it's hanging off (throttle body is on it and only one bolt holding the plastic intake pipe on the charger = not good enough).
When I pushed the pipe back on and held it there then got my son to start it up, it sounded a lot better but too many revs and the belt was walking off the charger pulley so I still have some alignment issues which I thought i'd fixed.
Oh well I will get there, working on it again later tonight.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Well i've been busy!
I made a plate to blank off the rear of the charger where the mini water pump normally resides and made a bracket to hold the charger intake pipe on attached to this - seems to work and I reckon that will be a big vac leak crossed off (hope there aren't any more).
Also made a coupler for between the standard throttle cable and some new cable to extend it due to the throttle body being further over towards the battery.
Finished the throttle body to intake pipe adapter too which was mainly to adjust the angle of the throttle body.
Changed the bypass valve to intake pipe pipe with some more flexible stuff and less joins therefore less chances of a leak.

Just got to have another look at alignment, it is better than it was but still not right as the belt still walked off last time (although not straight away).

Will try to get some new pics up tomorrow.

EDIT: Ok why wait - here's some more pics :)

Throttle cable coupler (needs a bit of fettling but not much - it will do the job and i'm not being tight, drove to loads of places to try to find something but drew a blank)
Bracket to hold supercharger intake pipe in place and snug
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Nice one.

Why'd you have to move to WA and not the active state? :lol:
Would so love a ride in this.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Astron_Boy wrote:Nice one.

Don't you start, my wife constantly whinges to me about WA being dead and Perth being a town not a city (sorry fellow Perth'ers).
:lol:
I can sort of see where she's coming from but I like the laidback-ness and I think she exagerates too - Perth aint that bad.

How far of a drive is it to the bonfire again?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Rob Furniss wrote:How far of a drive is it to the bonfire again?
Ohh.. according to google maps.. only about, say, 3,828km or so.. :troll:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Rob Furniss wrote:
Astron_Boy wrote:Nice one.

Don't you start, my wife constantly whinges to me about WA being dead and Perth being a town not a city (sorry fellow Perth'ers).
:lol:
I can sort of see where she's coming from but I like the laidback-ness and I think she exagerates too - Perth aint that bad.

How far of a drive is it to the bonfire again?
Wait, wait.

There are other people in Perth? :lol:

Anyway, on with the build, enough spam from me.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Started it up again and the belt stayed on but the revs increased on their own so I must have a decent sized leak somewhere, i'm hoping it's not the intake plenum/charge cooler that's warped after my final bit of brazing.
The ally brazing rods have been great for making brackets etc but I wouldn't do anything as large or complex as a plenum again, i'm wishing i'd had a pro tig weld it and I may still get one to redo it.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Well it looks like at least one culprit is the intake plenum, I must have warped it as I could get a 0.2mm feeler gauge in between it and the intake manifold.
I've removed it and put what I think is a straight edge on it and yeah looks warped to me.

So what are my options, don't suppose some thick gasket paper will be up to the job or do I have to get it machined?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I'd chuck it on a mill & machine it flat. If you've got any cylinder head reco guys nearby, they'd be the ones I'd see who've got that kind of gear.

2mm is a bit too much to ask of a gasket, especially one under boost.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Bennoz wrote:I'd chuck it on a mill & machine it flat. If you've got any cylinder head reco guys nearby, they'd be the ones I'd see who've got that kind of gear.

2mm is a bit too much to ask of a gasket, especially one under boost.
Thanks Ben, i've been recommended a top engine reco place about 30km's away so if i'm stuck I will use those guys but will see if I can find anyone nearby now.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

$160 sound like a lot to machine this plenum flat? (first one I rang)

The guys that were recommended to me http://www.southsideengines.com/ have given me a much better price than above and they seem to have good equipment etc so might just take it there (well they at least have a website).
They also do ally welding and fabrication work so I might ask him about re-doing my plenum properly.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Bugger, but yeah, do it right.
Reign

Post by Reign »

So where in Perth are you living?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Reign wrote:So where in Perth are you living?
Down south in Baldivis, been here almost 2 years, how about you?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Astron_Boy wrote:Bugger, but yeah, do it right.
I've had a chat with south side engines over the phone and going to pop in tomorrow with my plenum.
I'm seriously thinking about letting them remake it properly with their Tig welder before facing it so that it's solid and no leaks and flat.
I've just tested it with water through the charge cooler core and a little leaked into the air chambers - which would get into my engine in a real situation. This was ok previously but I think my last lot of brazing has disturbed something - which is part of the problem with these low temp brazing rods.
This bit has to be right as I don't want to lose boost but more importantly don't want to hydolock the engine.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Rob Furniss wrote:This bit has to be right as I don't want to lose boost but more importantly don't want to hydolock the engine.
Yeah, sadly it will cost you to have it re-done.
BUT
It will cost you more to replace the engine if it starts taking water in to it's lungs!

Annoying to have to do after all the work you've done, but in the end you have to think about the end result.

Hopefully the core is in-tact and it's simply the plates which need some work.
Should be an easy enough job for them, and will make it look a hell of a lot cleaner with less effort.