Jasma Intercoolers

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Jasma Intercoolers

Post by Bennoz »

Has anyone had any experience with these intercoolers? Look ok, price is certainly ok, curious to see if anyone's ever used one..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JASMA-GT-SPE ... 1c1e983606
Shane001
Oldtimer

Re: Jasma Intercoolers

Post by Shane001 »

Looks like it will still block out your radiator, so won't help with your overheating problem.

Otomoto used to make a half height intercooler in their KKR brand, might want to contact them and ask if they still have em. Checked there website and looks like maybe not :(
http://otomoto.shop033.com/g/1016590/contact-us.html
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

My intercooler is 300mm, this is 180mm.

Otherwise Im down to a 140mm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-Performa ... 2a14332a79
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Yeah just found my notes on the KKR one it was 160 high, so 180 is probably OK.

Key thing is to measure up under the front your air intake and how much will be taken up by intercooler and how much will remain open to the radiator. You really want at least half open to the radiator. Then once you mount it you'll need to duct the openings separately to ensure each path gets it's own air.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah half-half is the plan, plus some sheet steel ducting underneath the boys are fabing up for me. Should do the trick.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

You want a sheet both under and over the intercooler, and the sides, basically sealing the path to the radiator. If you can route the hot air out of the intercooler under the radiator would be better also, but this is probably not possible.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Two things 1) My intercooler cost $150 and it has been sweet. No drama's whatsoever. 2) If your having over heating problems chuck a couple of fans on the back of the intercooler as well (if you have room).
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

I8A4RE wrote:Two things 1) My intercooler cost $150 and it has been sweet. No drama's whatsoever. 2) If your having over heating problems chuck a couple of fans on the back of the intercooler as well (if you have room).
On the racetrack?

I don't think Ben or AJ have major problems with overheating on the street, but when they hit the track they can only get a couple of laps in before the coolant is boiling.

Also adding extra fans behind the intercooler will make it worse, as this will further obstruct airflow. In fact for track use you could take one of the fans off the back of the radiator as well, as these will be obstructing air flow at speed also. U need to leave one though just in case you spin out and end up in the sand trap :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Which has been known to happen from time to time :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Respectfully disagee :D If Ben's car is over heating now after a couple of laps, I guarantee if you take a fan off it won't make it a lap.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Sorry mate but that is wrong. Next time you are at a race meet have a look at the racecars, a lot of them don't run fans at all.

At 100km + the flow of air through the radiator due to speed is greater than the flow via a fan, so by having a fan you actually impede this flow of air, but yes I would always still run at least one fan in case you get stuck with no air flow.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Got a quote on getting some vents cut into the bonnet too. Might tie that into the 'repspray the car' fund

And yeah, my old mans race mini doesnt run a fan.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Shane001 wrote:Sorry mate but that is wrong. Next time you are at a race meet have a look at the racecars, a lot of them don't run fans at all.
Totally agree.

However, now I am just going off the little info I have but 2 things come to mind and remember this is a car ALREADY over heating. 1.) On the straights no problemo, but on the tight windy sections of the course the car is going through a range of speeds not flat out and usually where cars tighten up on distance between each other eg. warmer air from the car/s in front. 2.) This is a turbo'ed engine in a tiny engine bay, every time he decelerates the heat build is huge. The more air feed through those coolers the better. But hey that's just my 2 cents.

I bet Ben still doesn't have his under engine splash shields on, which can also reduce the air temps in the engine bay (this I have tested). :lol:
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Sorry mate but I have 3 years experience running a turbo racecar, and I know several other people running turbo racecars that have also had this exact problem, and the only way to fix it is to remove obstructions to the air flow to the radiator, not add them.

The problem is most people put big massive intercoolers in front of their radiators which is fine on the street, but on the track it's not as these intercoolers heat up quickly and never cool down. So the air the radiator receives second hand through these intercoolers is always 50/60/70degrees. Fan or no fan sucking 60 to 70 degree air through a hot radiator ain't going to do much cooling.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

:jerry:
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Kustom wrote::jerry:
haha, yeah f**k you too :lol:
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Hey Ben, I'd like to do what you're doing too. Any chance of some 2 for 1 deals or discounts that we can get?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Another thing you want to do at the track is run a higher pressure radiator cap, just make sure all your hoses are good. This will help stop you losing all your coolant out the overflow.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

The Jasma one looks about the same size as the ford intercooler that I was running - maybe a little higher.
My before IC temps were about 55C and 30C after (UK) but I never had it on a track only the drag strip.
I had it mounted quite low down just at the bottom lip of the radiator so didn't really have any obstruction issues although I did catch it a couple of times :oops: