Forging my 6A13TT

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

kermut
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Forging my 6A13TT

Post by kermut »

so as many of you guys know my engine died after using nulon foam intake cleaner.
so after doing a leak down test, the rings are f*cked,
so now i have decided to forge the engine and up the boost :D...follow my progress here :)...

look at the difference between H beam and I beam...which one to go for?...i was thinking I-beam...any thoughts?

spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Forging my 6A13TT

Post by spetz »

Do you think that the foam cleaner ruined your rings, or they were already on their way out and it was the straw that broke the camels back?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nice! How much & where from? I gotta get a set myself.

Traditionally, the H beams are stronger, but heavier. More reciprocating mass. If you're going for massive boost, I'd go H, but if you're wanting something that'll spin up nice & quick, go I.
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Bennoz wrote:If you're going for massive boost, I'd go H, but if you're wanting something that'll spin up nice & quick, go I.
What should I go for then if I'm upping compression from 9.5:1 to 12:1? I want a low-rotational mass so it'll rev its tits off, but also strong enough that it won't crap itself at the first sign of my right foot :lol:
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
kermut
Grease Monkey

Post by kermut »

opps sorry ben didnt know i repeated myself, im excited though...when i spoke to my tuner he said that they would be around $800 bucks for rods (they come with bottom end bearing too), pistons plus rings are the same price :D...but ill get a def price next week so ill let you know and if you want them we might get them cheaper, as well order x2 :D :D..

Also ben not sure if you have any connections with overhaul kits (all the gaskets set)...i havnt asked my tuner if he can get them yet...i am however having a hard time finding torque settings for the head and rods :(...

looks like the I-beams win :D :D..

so when i pulled out the pistons, i found that the rings were stuck from all the carbon and werent sealing against the cylinder walls properly...so problem solved with new forged internals :D :D :D...hello 2 BAR boost..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Thats a good price!

I've been hunting around for a VRS kit as well. Not found one at a decent price, everyone want $500+ which I think is bullshit.
kermut
Grease Monkey

Post by kermut »

least you found places bro...ive got my tuner chasing some for me now..fingers crossed. otherwise gona have to go through camskill in uk :/...repco also said they can get them should be getting a call back from them tomorrow :)