Vipfto's turbo project

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Daniel2019
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Vipfto's turbo project

Post by Daniel2019 »

kiz wrote:
vipfto wrote:could be worse and want a snow plough haha
The attachment slap.gif is no longer available
Attachments
paddlin.jpg
paddlin.jpg (4.33 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

well after spending all morning with tuner discovered that now dam wastgate is sticking and boost would only creep to 7psi at around 7000 RPM :roll:

So took her home removed turbo and dump pipe to find that the flapper was catching om dump pipe slightly so have ground out a little and put back together only to find that still not much better (its not sticking now) so little bit stumped as to why not boosting hard till way to late :evil:

Going to swap out with another new actuator next week hoping this will solve issue and also have no boost leaks at all :?:

Worse thing is cant get her back on dyno till early next year as they shut down for xmas early :cry: but at least tuner gave it safe tune so if I can up boost she wont blow on me :lol:

As for figures we made 144kw and just over 250nm @3500rpm early this morning before started having issues still on low boost :D

Had another issue pop up too now gear selector is very stiff and hard to slot into gear not sure why yet? disconnected from selector on gearobx but still same issue but will address that later as with some force can still get gears ok
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

vipfto wrote:
As for figures we made 144kw and just over 250nm @3500rpm
For a low boost setting that's nice Im looking forward to mine more and more :lol:
gotta get there one day :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

vipfto wrote:Had another issue pop up too now gear selector is very stiff and hard to slot into gear not sure why yet? disconnected from selector on gearobx but still same issue but will address that later as with some force can still get gears ok
Cooked the grease in the tube ;) Been there, had it running too close to something hot, I had to replace then heat wrap.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Yeah thought was heat related
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

vipfto wrote:well after spending all morning with tuner discovered that now dam wastgate is sticking and boost would only creep to 7psi at around 7000 RPM :roll:

So took her home removed turbo and dump pipe to find that the flapper was catching om dump pipe slightly so have ground out a little and put back together only to find that still not much better (its not sticking now) so little bit stumped as to why not boosting hard till way to late :evil:

Going to swap out with another new actuator next week hoping this will solve issue and also have no boost leaks at all :?:

Worse thing is cant get her back on dyno till early next year as they shut down for xmas early :cry: but at least tuner gave it safe tune so if I can up boost she wont blow on me :lol:

As for figures we made 144kw and just over 250nm @3500rpm early this morning before started having issues still on low boost :D

Had another issue pop up too now gear selector is very stiff and hard to slot into gear not sure why yet? disconnected from selector on gearobx but still same issue but will address that later as with some force can still get gears ok
Now the build has begun!
Took a while, but we got there. :lol:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Haha so true lol
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Could get a cable luber?

Also your not missing any of the rubber grommets where it the bracket attaches to the gearbox?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

na definatly grease melted haha
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

interesting worth noting too is once wastgate failed did a run whilst basically N/A and still run up 121kw not too bad me thinks. Tuner still says 160 should be very acheivable
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Sounds good to me tim! Good work man!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

well after much f**king round all boosting sweet again and dam hard too. hoping to get back to tuner next week if he can squeeze me in otherwise will have to wait till new year before final tune. Now hitting 5 psi @ 2500 rpm and climbing . Worst thing is now gear changes rather hard till can swap out cables
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Sounds like you have a weapon now :twisted: .
Great work.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Is this you Tim? :lol:

vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Haha that me alright
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

All booked in next week hoping new actuator arrives before she goes in basically not sure how high it will boost atm so not driving again till been on dyno again. Did take vid of last time but wasn't power run. Will try get down there again next week for last runs
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Been a while since update but got final tune done before xmas and hit 160 @ wheels have scaled back to 158 for safe tune currently running @9psi its f**king awesome. Get a little torque steer but to be expected, Had issues getting the timing right as was knocking round 4.5-5k mark but all sorted was just some bad connections.

Tuner has also now reccomended to go to standalone motec or haltec unit but I dont reall y wanna spend that kind of money now although he said there is much more potential there just being held back by ECU. Only prob is that also means having to decomp and forge internals which also means more $

So will park her up for now till heat goes and then be driving again after summer seeing as have no A/C etc

But sh*t does it give a great feeling esp being able to fry up the rubber just by boosting hard in 2nd with cold tyres :)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Result! :cheers:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Well done mate.
Sorry to go over old ground but you're at 9psi with standard compression and standard internals right?

I bet you have a huge grin every time you drive her.