Why Doesnt anyone...

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

syntax
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Why Doesnt anyone...

Post by syntax »

So with all these 6a13 stuffed into FTO's, It got me thinking.

Maybe there is another way.

Wants;

-A little more power.
-Easy drop in install
-Mounts to a F5M42 box.
-As cheap to buy as a 6a13

Answer

4g93T DOHC. (should be easy as since the fto has a 4g93 SOHC option)
And i found one in brisbane with loom and ecu

Then i found out they already exist out there

Problem? Thoughts?
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Why Doesnt anyone...

Post by Taz »

People who decide to spend a lot to xlant an engine dont mind spending that little bit extra to get a lot more bang for their buck id say - that and ive seen a hell of a lot more 6a13's for sale over the DOHC 4G93T
Its been done, its been tested, its been trusted etc.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

yeh true the 4g93t is harder to find here, but they are around. I considered getting a 6a13, but im not going to chase 200kw+ and the 4g93 *should* be a unmodified drop in. 150kw at the tyres and turbo torque would be great.

I have a evo 9 (4g63t) and a 3000gt (6g72tt)(love my mitsu's) and i can say the 4 banger is so much easier to work on when all the business bits are not half hidden down behind the engine.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

syntax wrote:I have a evo 9 and a 3000gt
Soooo jealous right now :oops:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

4G93T is a great option, especially from a handling perspective as it's much lighter and unlike V6 engines the is less weight overhang over the front wheels. These engines have been known to make amazing amounts of power as well, even doing 10 second quarter mile times in SOHC N/A form in Lancers etc.
There are some drawbacks though. As mentioned, generally when someone is spending say 5K for an engine conversion, they would spend that extra bit more for something considerably better, being a 4G63T.
4G63T is legendary, has loads of aftermarket and can make a lot of power before opening it up. The 4G93T, as good as it is does not have very strong stock internals, so 150kw atw would be about the limit of the motor before needing to go forged internals.
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

The 4g63t as I do have a lot of parts from the evo so it was a option but they come with evo price tags for everything. Not that i dont mind the spend, but again dont need evo levels of power. The idea is a fun punchy daily fto. I priced the 4g93t for 2k delivered engine, loom, ecu. I can do the labour myself, its very tempting
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

syntax wrote:The 4g63t as I do have a lot of parts from the evo so it was a option but they come with evo price tags for everything. Not that i dont mind the spend, but again dont need evo levels of power. The idea is a fun punchy daily fto. I priced the 4g93t for 2k delivered engine, loom, ecu. I can do the labour myself, its very tempting
That's a great price for all that if I had the money I would do it as eventually this is the way I want to go
gotta get there one day :)
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Taz wrote:Soooo jealous right now :oops:

Since its been so long since I have been active on here, and the people are all different now.I'll repost in the newbie section with pics and info on each car soon and re intro myself to the current members

I'm going to check out this 4g93t tuesdasy and I'll start a build thread if its a go
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

ok this is getting even better. So the 4g93t CM5A (CE GSR) uses the evo 5/6 H8 Based ECU (with different maf and injector scaling) which means its ECUFlash reflashable. So no need for a aftermarket ecu and easy upgrade to evo maf and injectors (which i have spare) :)
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Theres that and the fact you wont need to get everything engineered as it was in another model yea??
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Taz wrote:Theres that and the fact you wont need to get everything engineered as it was in another model yea??
i would say it would need a mod plate + cert, because the FTO GS is a 1.8 4g93 NA SOHC not the Turbz DOHC
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Yea but you dont need anything to bolt a turbo on right?
Id say you can get away with it if need be, but i spose its best to get it all done properly anyway
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I thought you did need a mod plate to bolt a turbo on..
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Sahin wrote:I thought you did need a mod plate to bolt a turbo on..
Yea but you need a mod plate for anything these days lol - im saying you dont have to go the lengths to bolt a turbo on as you do swapping an engine right? Or have they taken over that as well :?
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

All of these require a mod plate, here are there codes

CODE MODIFICATION
LA1 Engine Substitution
LA3 Turbocharger and Supercharger Installation
LB1 Transmission Substitution
LD1 Rear Axle Replacement
LD2 Differential Substitution
LG1 Brake System Substitution (Design)
LG2 Brake System Substitution (Modification)
LH1 Convertible and Cabriolet Conversion (Design)
LH2 Convertible and Cabriolet Conversion (Modification)
LH3 Passenger Vehicle Extended Wheelbase Conversion (Design)
LH4 Passenger Vehicle Extended Wheelbase Conversion (Modification)
LH5 Individual and Low Volume Vehicles (Design)
LH6 Individual and Low Volume Vehicles (Modification)
LH7 Panel Van to Utility Conversion
LH8 Roll Bar and Roll Cage Installation
LH9 Street Rod Certification (Concessional Registration)
LH10 Street Rod Certification (Unrestricted Registration)
LK1 Seating Capacity Alteration and Seat Belt Installation
LK2 Seat, Seat Anchorage and Seat Belt Anchorage Certification
LK6 Child Restraint Anchorage Installation
LK7 Motorcycle Seating Capacity Alteration
LM1 Fuel Tank Alteration
LO1 Australian Design Rule (ADR) Compliance
LO2 Pre 1972 Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance
LO3 Personally Imported Vehicle Compliance
LS1 Steering Conversion (Design)
LS2 Steering Conversion (Modification)
LT1 Beaming and Torsional Testing
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Ok the deal is done. I have a 1998 CM5A 4g93T DOHC + loom + ecu + maf + delivery = $2010.00 inc GST
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

HOLY sh*t that is cheap, and a bloody good find! Specially since it wont cost anything to install as its bolt up (isnt it?) thats insane. I was curious and looked at a few things on ebay - theres a pretty good aftermarket for them too - can get cams for $400 etc.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Taz wrote:HOLY sh*t that is cheap, and a bloody good find! Specially since it wont cost anything to install as its bolt up (isnt it?) thats insane. I was curious and looked at a few things on ebay - theres a pretty good aftermarket for them too - can get cams for $400 etc.
Did just see this on eBay and a billet crank rated at 1400hp for $600-$800
Also saw in Anna bay a wrecked evo 6 for $5000-6000 was seriously thinking about it :D
gotta get there one day :)
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

ZFL45H1 wrote:
Taz wrote:HOLY sh*t that is cheap, and a bloody good find! Specially since it wont cost anything to install as its bolt up (isnt it?) thats insane. I was curious and looked at a few things on ebay - theres a pretty good aftermarket for them too - can get cams for $400 etc.
Did just see this on eBay and a billet crank rated at 1400hp for $600-$800
Also saw in Anna bay a wrecked evo 6 for $5000-6000 was seriously thinking about it :D

FTO gearbox wont bolt to the 4g63 ( i dont think ) which means a rear output shaft elimination kit is needed. The speedmeter gear ratio is also different so your speedo will be out.
I really did consider this, but it would torque steer you off the road. However if you really want to...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-MITSUBIS ... 2a26349020
$3500
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Will cost some things. intercooler and piping, new clutch, pull type clutch slave (or mod up a bracket for the push type) cause its in the way of the turbo

you can get forged pistons and rods for $1k too but for now dont want massive power to make it un-driveable