overheating in traffic

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ftonoob
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

overheating in traffic

Post by ftonoob »

Finally put back my front fender but now my fto overheats if I drive it hard and meet traffic. If I drive slowly or pull over temp drops. I wasn't having this prob with the fender off.
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Re: overheating in traffic

Post by Connor_1994 »

U were driving with the fender off
:O
Haha

Is your thermo fan working and your radiator and overflow full?
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

Fans are working and I'm not seeing any leaks or loss of coolant.
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Hmm, thats a mystery,
So if your fans are working and engaging when they should, and you have plenty of coolant in your engine and radiator all i can think of is
Maybe a heat sensor somewhere is playing up and not registering with the higher revs, or perhaps your water pump is failing with the high revs and pressure but im not sure.

Ask Phil069 he may have a bit more insight then i on this one
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Turbo's and manifolds run hot.

Everyone running a turbo FTO has had this problem. They have tried numerous sizing of fans and different brands. Also raising the bonnet so more heat escapes.

A vented bonnet will help, which is why when you had no fender heat escaped. Hence ran cooler.

I think Bennoz has put a couple of washers at the rear of his bonnet to help air flow. Search the turbo section. Bennoz, Mitchell (can't remember his forum name) and Jeff all had solutions..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Thats a very good point rock_it i forgot avout turbos -.- didnt even enter my mind haha
Didnt realise he had one silly me haha
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

2x 12" Slimline Davies Craig Thermofans will do the trick. Expensive though. $120 a fan.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

I havent struck this issue yet but no doubt will at some stage. I have already removed all plastic covers eg: splash sheilds etc and have large front mouth still much bigger than Intercooler and still letting air hit radiator. although have removed condensor and also thermostat. If and when I come across that issue will prob space bonnet slightly or maybe go vented which would rather not do
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

silverGPX wrote:2x 12" Slimline Davies Craig Thermofans will do the trick. Expensive though. $120 a fan.
This is what fixed mine ^^^

In combination with a bigger mouthed front bar (dstocks) and using water wetter.

Oh and also setting the Haltech to turn the fans on earlier, bout 86 degree from memory.
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

I did some wire shaking and saw one of my fans is turning off. I ran them always on with ignition. I say if my hand could make it short then driving would definitely cause it.
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

I'm not sure if the fan I was talking about is the problem. I've noticed my overflow bottle has cracked lid. Could that be allowing air to enter the system and lead to this?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

ftonoob wrote:I'm not sure if the fan I was talking about is the problem. I've noticed my overflow bottle has cracked lid. Could that be allowing air to enter the system and lead to this?
Not unless the pipe into the lid, (and down into the water is somehow damaged) no.
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

Ok, I had to replace the return line that goes through the firewall. I couldn't get a "u" hose so I used regular rubber line and got a kink but never got a problem before. The crack on the overflow bottle is on the hard plastic "L" shaped joint leading to the rad.
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

Found a tiestrap was too tight around the hoses below throttle body including rear turbo coolant hose. After removing it I went for a drive and car kept a good temp even at full tilt. Temp went up only when I pulled into the driveway but it quickly returned to normal. Thanks.
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

Ok. I drove the car this morning on the clear highway and put my foot down with no overheating. Drove back home this evening put my foot in it a few times then hit traffic and temp rose but fell quickly. I drove up the steep hill to my house and temp went up and stayed over half on the hill where I parked.

Could my water pump be bad?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Most likely an old radiator, sh*tty thermostat, crappy old fans.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Sounds pretty normal to me - exactly what my car did before I upgraded the bits listed in one of my posts above.
ftonoob
Grease Monkey

Post by ftonoob »

Rad recently rebuilt, thermo removed and fans are good but I think the system has to much water so I'll flush it and refill with only coolant.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

ftonoob wrote:Rad recently rebuilt, thermo removed and fans are good but I think the system has to much water so I'll flush it and refill with only coolant.
Use water wetter as well, its drops the temps by up 5 degrees.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Redline-oil- ... 826wt_1502
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Bennoz wrote:
ftonoob wrote:Rad recently rebuilt, thermo removed and fans are good but I think the system has to much water so I'll flush it and refill with only coolant.
Use water wetter as well, its drops the temps by up 5 degrees.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Redline-oil- ... 826wt_1502
I know water wetter is an actual tested product, but I still think of it in the same realm as "Headlight fluid" and "winter air for your tyres" whenever I hear it.
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.