Syntax's 4G93T Build

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverGPX
9.5"
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Syntax's 4G93T Build

Post by silverGPX »

So why do u people bother doing all these crazy 4G63T conversions when this engine bolts straight up? hahaha.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

silverGPX wrote:So why do u people bother doing all these crazy 4G63T conversions when this engine bolts straight up? hahaha.
:facepalm:
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I know it's moot point, but I never came across this gearbox mating to anything except what it was already mated to.

The odd thing being, I know of people that have used the Lancer 4G9 box on the 4G6 motor.
So if that were the case the 6A1 gearbox should mate to the 4G6, but it doesn't.

I have pictures of the different bell housings, except the 4G9 and they are hella different, so this has literally baffled me.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Astron Boy, I think there must be some discrepancies that no one is aware of.
For example, I bought a MIVEC Cyborg gearbox for my 6A12, and when it came time to fitting it I was forced to use the internals of it in my original FTO gearbox casing.
However, everyone else who uses this setup (generally in the UK as the Cyborgs are much more common there) has reported that it "bolts straight up".
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

So pretty much this is a way way easier way to go?

Easier than 6a13 and 4g63t?

And isn't there heaps of 4g93's?
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

CM5A 4G93T motors are fairly rare.
4G93 SOHC non turbo motors are common
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

Not much evo gsr around ozzie either..
not a famous car here, coz 4g93t doesn't gives you much till you hit the wall.. while 4g63t is like limitless.

Easier to just turbo a 6a12 yet gains more than swapping out for 4g93t, unless you're already planning to replace the 6a12 engine at the 1st place?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Ahh okay (:
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Astron_Boy wrote: The odd thing being, I know of people that have used the Lancer 4G9 box on the 4G6 motor.
So if that were the case the 6A1 gearbox should mate to the 4G6, but it doesn't.
the gen1 4g9's and 4g6's might have matched. i know none of the right sided gearboxes dont
Last edited by syntax on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

silverGPX wrote:So why do u people bother doing all these crazy 4G63T conversions when this engine bolts straight up? hahaha.
like phunkydude said the 4g93T without forged internals has a limit just over 1.1bar (160-170kws atw) of boost before you risk bending a rod.

the 4g63T isnt a hard conversion removing the rear output off the box is do-able but you'll pay 2-4K for the motor 1-2k for the gearbox, 1k converting the box, have to get a oil cooler, and need to rewire most of the internal loom.

while the result may be a strong engine, but this would be stuuuuuupid (Jeremy Clarkson voice) to drive in a fwd car.

So the 4g93T is a awesomely cheap, easy to install, quick to spool, light, faster then stock conversion that wont change lanes when you put your foot in.

I get it some of you are dreaming off 200Kw+ FTO's so did i once, but i want fun not scary.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

syntax wrote:
Astron_Boy wrote: The odd thing being, I know of people that have used the Lancer 4G9 box on the 4G6 motor.
the gen1 4g9's and 4g6's might have matched. i know none of the right sided gearboxes dont
Ahhh, of course, you are 100% correct.
I do keep forgetting about the 180 spin on the motors.

Reference point for me is always with the Proton owners and having DOHC 4G93, they either put in the turbo gear, or swap to the 4G6.

Well that makes it rather different again as the general consesus has been, if you want to 4G6, then get a 4G9 sohc FTO.
But that simply isn't the case it seems as the gearbox were all the same.
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

phunkydude wrote:Not much evo gsr around ozzie either..

Easier to just turbo a 6a12 yet gains more than swapping out for 4g93t, unless you're already planning to replace the 6a12 engine at the 1st place?
someone give me a dyno graph of a turbo 6a12! i still think the 4g93t might have it.
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Astron_Boy wrote:
syntax wrote:
Ahhh, of course, you are 100% correct.
I do keep forgetting about the 180 spin on the motors.

Reference point for me is always with the Proton owners and having DOHC 4G93, they either put in the turbo gear, or swap to the 4G6.

Well that makes it rather different again as the general consesus has been, if you want to 4G6, then get a 4G9 sohc FTO.
But that simply isn't the case it seems as the gearbox were all the same.

For your interest. 1999 Model table, strangely there is a 4g6 on there.

All the F5M42's should be interchangeable. The 41 had a different bell housing, but you could swap the housing if you really wanted.

*Update*

Ok checked out my mates evo 7. It is a W5M42 but it doesnt have the upper starter hole, so if the evo starter is the same as the fto, maybe the fto box would bolt to it 8O
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Nice chart.

I have pictures of the EVO and FTO gearbox bell housings, completely different.
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Astron_Boy wrote:Nice chart.

I have pictures of the EVO and FTO gearbox bell housings, completely different.

o'rly

Evo 6

FTO (no not mine)

look the same pattern to me, you would need to use the FTO sandwich plate but i think its a go
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Not exactly the clearest shot of the evo box, the right side and top don't look to mate. And ofcourse I can't find the pictures I had, probably deleted them after I gave up doing it.

Could be I had incorrect pictures all those times ago, but there have been people who have taken the evo box and lopped off the transfer case.
There has to be a reason they didnt simply use the fto box.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Wont be a direct fit. There are 3 bolts different at the top, 1 at the bottom. That's not to say it can't be done, this guy had the housing on an FTO box modified to suit the 4G63 out of an Evo VI.

syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Weird Ben my FTO box looks nothing like that on the inside..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Its a tip
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Well nice so its slighty different but do-able, prob a lot cheaper then fwd converting the 4g63 box

so off topic now, im not sure what to add to my thread anymore :?