Syntax's 4G93T Build

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Syntax's 4G93T Build

Post by Bennoz »

syntax wrote:Well nice so its slighty different but do-able, prob a lot cheaper then fwd converting the 4g63 box
Agreed. Plus lets not forget, 3 of out 4 FTO engine mounts are on the gearbox, so the only mount you need to worry about it the engine one.
syntax wrote:so off topic now, im not sure what to add to my thread anymore :?
Bah, you're only at 4 pages. I'm up to 66 :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Bennoz wrote:Agreed. Plus lets not forget, 3 of out 4 FTO engine mounts are on the gearbox, so the only mount you need to worry about it the engine one.
So are the EVOs. ;)

Anyway, back to the build, why isn't it finished yet? :lol:
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Astron_Boy wrote:Anyway, back to the build, why isn't it finished yet? :lol:

Im sorry my build is not going to your time expectations :D its a surprise i know, but i work during the week making progress sloooow

it is in on its own mounts now but

Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Your making some pretty good progress considering you work through the week.
Its coming along and looking good (:

You may have already covered this but when your done how much power are you looking at getting out of the 4g93t?
Im running throught engine upgrade thoughts of my own at the moment
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Connor_1994 wrote: You may have already covered this but when your done how much power are you looking at getting out of the 4g93t?
Im running throught engine upgrade thoughts of my own at the moment
id hoping around 160kw atw and a truck load more torque then the 6a12 without having to rev out foreveeerr.

170Kw is prob the highest safely achievable on stock internals.
Spool Imports do a Spool Rods + CP Pistons for $1.1K if you want more.

The stock turbo would be a upgrade point also. The standard TD04-13G would be at its peak making the 16psi needed for 160Kw and it would taper off up top.

Ive solved this by going a TD04-19t (biggest TD04 housing can go). A cheap option would be a evo 6,7,8 Turbo but would spool about 500-1000 slower.

at some point depending on how high of a power figure your chasing drivability of the fwd will become a task just to go straight. so a good LSD and swaybar setup would be a must.
mattman
Grease Monkey

Post by mattman »

some fantastic info here :D
FTO ftw
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Agreed! Very good insight
And more things to add to my ideas (:

So we dont get off topic ill create a new topoc in a minute anddiscuss all pros and cons of my ideas, but that was some great help syntax. Thank you
V6 Mivec Colt

Post by V6 Mivec Colt »

good luck with the build looks nice

here in ireland we have as many gsr fwd powered colts as mivec colt or cyborgs not sure what ye call them

im the only person with a v6 mivec colt in the country :D
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Dont you feel special (: haha

Id love to own the only car of its kind in the country
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

UPDATE

main hardware all back in. hubs and wheels on.

Only one problem so far. The ABS. The GSR ABS plug

The FTO ABS plug

So 2 Points.

1. The pins out all out of order.
2. The GSR used a different ABS proportioner with inlet and outlet values, (8 wire) were the FTO only has outlet values. (4 wire)

So you have two options re-pin the internal and abs engine side plugs leaving out the inlet pins. OR do what i decided and cut the ABS loom out of the fto main loom as its a isolated circuit rewrap it and add it to the car and join the 2 rear speed sensors to the interior loom.

If you decide re-pin is for you, its goes as follows;

FTO Plug <-- GSR Plug

1 <- 16
2 <- 45
5 <- 26
7 <- 43
8 <- 42
9 <- 33
10 <- Blank (reflash erase not in GSR loom, wire to Pin 1 on reflash connector under dash in later model FTO)
11 <- 40
12 <- 31
14 <- 38
15 <- 1
21 <- 44
22 <- 41
25 <- 39
41 <- Blank (CHG Dash Light, not in GSR Loom)
35 <- 9
36 <- 8
37 <- 7
38 <- 6
43 <- 22
44 <- 21
45 <- 20
46 <- 19
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

?
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

ok so the wiring turned into a simple but time costly kind of a job. While the new engine harness was included here is what i had to achieve

*note* The FTO ecu plugs go into the firewall and then around the back of the fan motor and the ABS half goes straight down behind the carpet. they are impossible to get out without taking the dash out and loosening off the motor mounts from the firewall itself. I have no put them back behind the motor instead sending all plugs straight down the ABS loom path and back under the motor.

1. The GSR loom and the FTO looms had to be unbound and each have its ABS sub loom removed.
2. The FTO ABS loom was then combined with the GSR Engine Loom.
3. The pressure switch is on the opposite engine bay side in the GSR. 2 New wires were run for this.
4. There 3 interior plugs near the ECU for ABS, Dash, Speed Sensors had there heads removed (different plug type) and the 3 FTO ones soldered and shrink wrapped on.
This required both the FTO and Evo4 wiring diagrams (the CM5a diagram is not online, the evo 4 is the same just ignore the AYC section)
5. Using heads from the FTO loom I was able to make patch leads between the engine bay GSR plugs (to abs relay, fused link etc) to the FTO's plugs (A13 A14)(two plugs under the fuse box)
6. The alternator needed all 4 wires connected to one of the GSR's engine bar plugs (cant remember the plug code) stupidly the FTO diagram shows the pins in order 4 2 3 1 and the GSR 3 4 1 2 which caught me up when trying to match the two different colours for a solder.

7. The GSR also had a dedicated 60A fuse on the battery terminal for the ABS power source, where the FTO gets its from the 100A fused link. I converted it just in case its because the new ecu has a larger amp draw, but i doubt it.
8. Re wrap the entire loom and get it back into the firewall.
9. (Did this ages ago but for you guys) the reflash connector is hiding all tapped up under your dash above the ODB-II port. it has a grean wire that goes to one of the 3 plugs i reheaded near the ECU. HOWEVER the fto loom (ecu side) from those plugs is missing the pin for reflash. If you want to reflash your FTO ECU ROM or now in my case a EVO 6 ECU you need to wire this missing pin to pin 79 on the ECU (either ECU same pin no)

Spent 4 nights just doing this wiring. its not hard and if you read the diagrams you will work it out.

PROTIP: draw all three interior plugs on paper and label the pins. go through the diagrams for the fto and label (function and colour) every pin and in three plugs. Do the same for the GSR plugs. Once ALL plugs pins are accounted for and labeled, then cut the plugs and solder party. This will be fast and simple and much much easier then "ok green gsr > look in diagram > ok engine light > look in FTO diagram for engine light > ok pink > join" it will also ensure you dont miss any since all three plugs use wires from each other plug.

Started the engine. All dash is happy. check MUTIII logging, all sensors seen. Happy days.
Connected the EVO 6 ECU (changed the injector scaling and maf scaling to suite) engine starts all is also happy (remove for now till car is driving around without a issue.

the reflash connector for you guys.

as it stands right now.

Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

looking complicated, but great!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Technikhaus wrote:looking complicated, but great!
not complicated but you need to be prepared.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

silverGPX wrote:?
Err what? He is making a build thread that ties into a DIY for anyone who wants to follow....
mattman wrote:some fantastic info here :D
Second

Some nice progress dude - Cudos on the extra effort posting up DIY and alternative options for those who want to go a different route :D
Gotta come round to a DIY day of mine sometime soon when its done :D
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Taz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:?
Err what? He is making a build thread that ties into a DIY for anyone who wants to follow....
He was just asking for any updates on the build.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
syntax
Grease Monkey

Post by syntax »

Taz wrote:
In a build you find problems and you solve them, in a build thread you bitch about said problems and post your solution. Thus others learn and in time refine your solutions.

I have a few issues i ran into that i'll post detailed solutions with pics when i get more time. I would like to get this done to a DIY 4g93T install guide.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Tylar I put a question mark for updates..
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Nice effort.

Wiring is one of the easier, but more timely jobs.
Certainly was in my wagon build also.

Good to hear it starts and runs without a hitch.

Video time now! :twisted:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

F#cken hell.. I haven't got the patience for wiring. Last time I did, I almost burnt the car to the ground :lol: