EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits

Post by Rob Furniss »

bjk wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote:I think I may run a second mini radiator for the charge cooler, can't hurt anything and it's an inexpensive option, about the same cost as an expensive case of beer.
Will mount this one behind the front grill when I get onto doing it.
For anyone thinking about using the kit in future, could they just utilise one larger rad for the charge cooler?
Absolutely, they could use whatever they want / can fit cooling wise and there is space behind the bumper for a much larger one than what I've got. I'm just using what's to hand at the moment (trying not to spend any more money right now) but I would like to fit a larger one later.
This is all separate from the normal engine cooling circuit though in case anyone's wondering.
For the pump that I've got the feed to it has to be after it's been cooled by the radiator.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Wasn't happy with the low boost so I removed the charge cooler at the weekend and tested for leaks by sealing it up, pumping air in and squirting soaping water all over.
It blew bubbles in a few places on the In-side, not on Out-side to the intake runners. I removed the inlet to the charge cooler, re-sealed with instant gasket and put it back together, could see that the flange on this side isn't completely flat after the welding that was done to it has warped it, I should have had it re-faced - lesson learned.
It did pull together nicely though when I bolted it back together and i'm now seeing a little more boost.

Currently seeing a maximum of 5psi on the gauge, starts at 4psi when at wide-open-throttle maybe at 2-3000 rpm and builds to 5psi after about 5000 I think.
I'm not convinced of the accuracy of the gauge though as I do get voltage drop on the power feed to it (reads 11.9 volts not the 12-13 that I see at the battery) so I should also plug the laptop in and see what the emanage map sensor is reading.
That aside, the scream is insane and it does feel quicker but the thing with these chargers is you don't get a thump in the back the car just generally feels, and is quicker right through the rpm range.
But I should be seeing more boost than this so still not finished yet.

The charger is noisy and I can see some scuff marks inside the casing at the rear, I think this indicates rear needle bearings on the way out. It also sounds like it's got rocks in the nose end which generally means the plastic coupler inside needs replacing.
So instead of doing a strip down and rebuild right now, i'm going to swap the charger out for my spare and see if this makes a difference to the boost (this has no scuff marks inside the casing), if not then I still have a boost leak somewhere - or two bad chargers.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Swapped the charger out earlier, now getting 5psi at wide open throttle even in 5th gear (5speed tip) at 3000rpm, getting 6psi higher up the range (I couldn't tell you where).
Got a bit of tuning to do on the emanage as it's running a little rich when wide open and boosting (afr 10.9 to 11:1) so that's good as there's gains to be had by leaning it out a little, not too much of course.
Enough working on the car today, it's been pushing towards 40 degrees up here!

I would still expect to see more boost than that though so also got more things to look at like the bypass valve is closing properly etc, could also be the belt isn't tight enough for those higher rpms, may look at the tensioner pulley again and see if I can improve things, an auto tensioner may be better.
Or last resort - see if I can get an even smaller pulley for the supercharger but I may already be at the limit, the other option may to increase the size of the double alternator pulley that drives the supercharger but there's not much room to play with there as it's already a tight squeeze.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Well at least the boost is on the safe side and not the alternative. :lol: Good work as usual, but yeah, stuff doing car things at 40 degrees!
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

bjk wrote:Well at least the boost is on the safe side and not the alternative. :lol: Good work as usual, but yeah, stuff doing car things at 40 degrees!
Think i'm going to change the pulley config and squeeze an auto tensioner in as they keep constant tension on the belt throughout the rpm range, that may see another pound or two of boost if i'm right.

EDIT: Ordered a nice compact little auto tensioner, should be here and on in a couple of weeks.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Haven't got around to fitting the auto tensioner pulley yet as I have to redesign the pulley bracket to fit it - I will get onto it soon.

But I did spend a little time at the weekend changing my charge cooler radiator setup.
Previous setup:
13 row mini rad tucked away behind the indicator pod with a fan on it, the pump resides in that area too as it has to be at the low point.
6 row mini rad / oil cooler behind the front bumper - it was in the shed so thought i'd give it a go - too small.

I've now got:
13 row mini rad with fan, same location (it does get air to it)
28 row rad behind the front bumper, it's quite tall and only just fits - I couldn't have fitted a taller one.

Start the car and the air temp gauge generally reads about 30 degrees, creeps up to about 52 as the engine warms up and levels off there. If I drive the car and then leave it for a while the temps creep up a little but soon start to come down as soon as the engine is started when not even moving.
This is a lot better than holding in the 60's like previous.

I still need to get hold of a proper header tank as my home made one is quite small, and crap.
It would be nice to switch to braided hosing at some stage too but just for looks, if I could be bothered with the expense and hassle changing them.
Are there sleeves available on the market?

Main thing to focus on next is the belt squeal that i'm getting when I open the throttle more than about 40%, i'm hoping this is the cause of my lower than expected boost figure and also hoping that the new tensioner pulley will fix it.
Might also be the very high humidity not helping things.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Good to see some more progress :thumleft: