EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

Post by Rob Furniss »

Early days but i'm redesigning the supercharger brackets and other bits and thought while i'm at it I may as well have the potential to get more made so i've been working with a small engineering shop who now have some of the designs done and can produce them to a professional standard (not me hacking away at some metal in the back yard). This is for a roots type Eaton supercharger not a fan in the intake.

I'm not talking about full kits just the brackets and other bits:
Mounting bracket to hang the supercharger over the rear bank where the plenum normally is
Pulley bracket (as well as hosting the idler and tensioner pulleys it also adds extra support to the supercharger)
Double pulley on the alternator
Supercharger intake - between the throttle body and supercharger
Custom intake plenum - it has to be shorter to make room for the supercharger.

At the moment the plan is for interested parties to source some of the bits themselves, a lot can be found 2nd hand like larger fuel injectors (CDH240 or CDH275), their preferred engine management unit etc oh and the supercharger itself. I'm not keen on supplying these bits as I don't want failures on these bits coming back to bite me. If a bracket fails then sure that's with me unless you were doing something stupid with it.
The supercharger in question is the Eaton M45 from the mini cooper s - the sprintex unit may also fit but I haven't tried one yet, i'm hoping to discuss with them at some stage as it's supposed to be a good upgrade.
For the additional bits I can supply a full list of what's needed and generally where to get from.

Ok the killer may be my choice of supercharger with us being quite a way from England (there are always a couple for sale on ebay.co.uk for a few hundred dollars) but I still have contacts there and if people are really struggling to get hold of one I may be able to help out as long as they pay all costs and take the risk (and chuck me a couple of beers). These Superchargers are pretty reliable.

Once you have all of the bits and have done the prep work the supercharger can be fitted in a weekend and you just need to get your car re-mapped then.
Prep work can be done ahead of time and involves:
remote mounting the brake reservoir
fit a different pulley on the alternator - has to be removed to do this
install your engine management

This is for a low boost setup so between 5 and 9 psi and standard internals (the level of boost is up to you as is the risk, different pulley sizes are available to give different boost levels).

I hope you're not too fond of the noise your FTO makes as it will change a little to something like this --->>>> http://youtu.be/I7A1chVyN10
If you're not a fan then this isn't for you, personally I love it.

There's still more design to do and things to work out so I don't have costs yet but just wondering what interest there is on here?

Rob
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits

Post by FTOwnage »

I'd be very keen.

Even if this doesn't get a lot of interest I would still buy the brackets and the other bits and pieces
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Not that I am in any way able to do this currently, but curious as to what the total cost would be? Estimates on power/torque gains?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

I would be very interested in a bolt on kit that is ready to go if it is at a good price. 100% interested!

As in, basically everything needed minus the charger, ECU, injectors.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Daniel2019 wrote:I would be very interested in a bolt on kit that is ready to go if it is at a good price. 100% interested!

and Fuel pump, boost controller, intercooler, fuel pressure reg, piping, belt, oil cooler and relocation kit
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Sahin wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:I would be very interested in a bolt on kit that is ready to go if it is at a good price. 100% interested!

and Fuel pump, boost controller, intercooler, fuel pressure reg, piping, belt, oil cooler and relocation kit
Oil cooler is fine I'm doing that anyway and the rest of that stuff is pretty easy to find aside from piping and shiet.
I fix cars.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Actually dont worry i thought this was for a turbo lol you wont need an intercooler or boost controller or much piping lol
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Sahin wrote:Actually dont worry i thought this was for a turbo lol you wont need an intercooler or boost controller or much piping lol
To be honest I don't know much about supercharging, although as far as I know it is better to run a cooler on any forced induction setup unless very low boost.
I fix cars.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

thats included lol
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Power won't be as much as a turbo but I would estimate around 240 - 250bhp / 186kw on a 7psi setup, I will be pushing boost a little higher on mine somewhere between 8 and 9psi.

Previous Dyno result on the old car were 234bhp and 169.8 lbft of torque at 5-6psi. I later swapped pulleys to raise the boost and it ran a 14.01 1/4 mile at 7psi (Tiptronic)

As soon as I get costs I will let you guys know.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

I have a fresh motor so hopefully should be able to take around 8psi safely if this ends up happening.

But yeah, I'm definitely interested pending costs and working out other details :D
I fix cars.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Want... maybe one day...
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Oooooo
bumpak
Apprentice

Post by bumpak »

sounds like an awesome kit, i remember the raptor superchargers on the lancer were running 5-6 psi with no intercooler and were getting some remarkable 1/4 times.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've edited the first put and shoved a link in for anyone who's interested in what the noise is like (my old car one of the first outings), a search may result in a couple more vids too.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Here's some pics of what the main Supercharger mounting brackets will look like to hang the charger over the rear bank, further support will be provided by the pulley bracket.
Hopefully these will be getting machined this weekend and I can then fit them and mount the charger and progress with the other design bits (finishing the pulley bracket and charge-cooler-plenum).

FTOwnage
Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

So keen!
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
FTOcrazy273
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOcrazy273 »

Definitely keen, let us know some prices when you're ready!
SchumieFan wrote:FAPTASTIC!
Vyktym

Post by Vyktym »

No need to drop compression?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

No need to drop compression up to 8psi, above this I don't know yet but there are turbo's on here pushing 9-10psi I believe with standard compression.
Look it's a risk above this so depends how much risk you're prepared to endure but a good map and it goes without saying a healthy engine to start with will mitigate risk.

Although a turbo setup has benefits of more power, one of the benefits of a supercharger over a turbo are how it delivers the power, it's much gentler and kinder to the engine and you see a gradual increase in boost from low revs right to the top with a slight drop off at the top.