EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boo

Post by Rob Furniss »

Did a bit of logging on the emanage this morning, 7.8psi boost
8 or 9 would be a nicer figure.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Are you still getting the bit of belt slip or have you found a closer match?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

bjk wrote:Are you still getting the bit of belt slip or have you found a closer match?
I've got a closer match now and you can see the tensioner working if you rev the car on the drive, doesn't sound like i'm getting slip but I'll have to watch for signs of wear on the belt etc. I can probably adjust the manual tensioner slightly too which may help a little.
But really my calculations based mainly on pulley sizes and a little bit of loss predicted 8.5psi pre IC/Charge Cooler and 8psi after IC/Charge Cooler and i'm getting 7.8psi which is amazingly close.

I could also go for a smaller pulley on the charger but it would be one those interference ones that you heat up and drop on the shaft (similar to the stock one but smaller) rather than the common clamp style aftermarket pulleys (i'm at the size limit with those).
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Fri May 12, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Yeah I'd be pretty stoked with that! I mean, if it was more off like 5-6 or whatever like I think you had before you ironed things out, then you might think something else was up, but that's a decent result. Should get some vids up!
Image Image Image Image
Spike28278
Grease Monkey

Post by Spike28278 »

I get excited everytime I see a new update on this forum, nice progress [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I'll try to get a drive-by video done soon just for the sound (but means I'll have to wash the car first).

Also been in touch with the Dyno guy up here so will try to get it on in the next couple of weeks and see what she's making and if any tweaks can be done to the fuelling and ignition timing but I don't think it's too bad as it is now.
AFR is in the 11:1 to 12:1 range when i'm on boost but it would be nice to get a proper plot.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Had a couple of liquid/air cores arrive from Bell Intercoolers in the states for the next two charge coolers - the first production ones.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Noice. I see some sneaky bonnet vents in the works ;)

I wonder even if all of the Lancer/Mirage boys and gals with 6A12s in their rides might find this a worthwhile upgrade since upgrading to Mitsubishi's "slow" V6. :lol:
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

bjk wrote:Noice. I see some sneaky bonnet vents in the works ;)

I wonder even if all of the Lancer/Mirage boys and gals with 6A12s in their rides might find this a worthwhile upgrade since upgrading to Mitsubishi's "slow" V6. :lol:
Bonnet vents - oh yeah that's in the pipeline, spare bonnet's just placed on Rows car at the moment since he has no engine in his.

Good thought about the Lancer/Mirage people, might see if there's interest from that camp later on :)
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

How do you find the e-manage?

I am trying to get mine tuned but there are so few tuners who specialize in them...
It seems like a fairly decent little unit but somehow there is a stigma against piggyback ECUs
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

spetz wrote:How do you find the e-manage?

I am trying to get mine tuned but there are so few tuners who specialize in them...
It seems like a fairly decent little unit but somehow there is a stigma against piggyback ECUs
I find it works fine for the basic stuff and I tune it myself on the road. I used a map that I had done at a tuners on the other supercharged fto and then I tinkered with it a little to get my AFR's to where I wanted them. I've got a wideband AEM AFR gauge in the car.
The only thing i'm not confident about is adjusting the ignition timing as I don't have knock detection kit and really need to do this on the dyno.

If I were chasing bigger power figures which can't be done with my setup then yeah i'd probably be swapping it out for a Haltech but I find the emanage is fine for what I need it to do and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

My prototype charge cooler has performed well, needed a few tweaks and some redesign but it's dropping those intake temps. I'm now onto the next phase, getting the first production charge cooler made.

ImageImage
The red intake to the charge cooler is a rough 3d printed mock up.

Also got the mounting bracket and double alternator pulley, these ones are for Rowans car (my son).
Had to change suppliers for the mounting bracket so this is the first one from the new fab shop, i'm pleased with it.

Kit bits, just missing a couple of parts
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Took the car out earlier and it seems nippier than it was, probably due to me fixing a small boost leak near the bypass valve that I hadn't noticed previously.
Now getting more boost earlier on even on part throttle, and saw 9psi higher up the rpm range (couldn't say where, I was hanging on).
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Looking good, and great results, Rob!