Rowans GPX Turbo Build

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Rowans GPX Turbo Build

Post by bjk »

Maybe he's just trying to blow it up so he can throw a 6A13 in there. :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

He did mention throwing a 6A13 in if it ever blows up....
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Would doing a 6A13 conversion be cheaper than to turbo the 6A12?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I will ask Rowan what he's spent on it but I think it's going to come in at around 3-4K so far doing it on the cheap, but that's based on his Chinese turbo that he may be throwing away.
Add in the cost of his genuine Precision turbo which is sitting here (that was supposed to be for later on but he may now be fitting it sooner) which was over 1K for a reconditioned unit and you can see it jumps up a bit.
Also looks possible that his Turbosmart wastegate isn't genuine so he will probably junk that and buy a new genuine one at two to three times the price he paid for the copy. (waiting on Turbosmart to verify if it's genuine but I doubt it is)

His exhaust work (up and down pipe and wastegate pipes) came in a $1000 and I think the guy had underquoted him.
Spent several hundred dollars on just clips and pipes, I reckon the whole IC setup has ended up costing over $1000 and it's not as if they are welded joins, this was a bit of a surprise.

Still not bad really and he's done it in about 8 weeks.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

It doesn't have a catch can on yet (it's on order), but we've noticed it smoking/puffing out of the breather pipe that normally goes into the intake, it's a bit of a chimney.
Could have been doing this before but we wouldn't have noticed due to it going into the intake.

Is this normal or does he need to bring forward his plans for forged pistons (which will come with new rings which is what i'm suspecting)?
dazjb
Apprentice

Post by dazjb »

Does it puff out smoke through the breather even when it's idling?

Noticed when they were tuning mine and giving it some real beans, when they released the throttle it gave out a puff of smoke from the breather. Tuner says that's normal when your not bypassing it back into the intake. It doesn't do it on idle though.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

dazjb wrote:Does it puff out smoke through the breather even when it's idling?

Noticed when they were tuning mine and giving it some real beans, when they released the throttle it gave out a puff of smoke from the breather. Tuner says that's normal when your not bypassing it back into the intake. It doesn't do it on idle though.
Yeah when it's idling, I think it's running rich too but haven't been in the car much myself.
I need to do some logging with the emanage and check what happening with the extra fuelling as i'm not sure that the injector sizing is that good - where you put in what injectors were in and what are now in and it's supposed to compensate, think I will have to manually trim his fuelling.
Or he may have a leaky injector.

Maybe after I sort his fuelling this puffing will go away.
I think the tuners added some ignition advance into mine at idle when it was supercharged, wonder if this will help him.
dazjb
Apprentice

Post by dazjb »

Yep I've also had some timing advance mapped into mine on the idle. You can alter the idle with timing as well as the VE table.

You can check for a leaking injector by pulling the fuel rail out and using tie wraps to secure the injectors to the rail .. then prime the fuel system with the ignition on. Here's how I secured mine ...

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Thanks Daz, I presume it will spray out like that and then should stop and you can check for drips?
dazjb
Apprentice

Post by dazjb »

No, that's a batch fire I did through the ecu to check the spray pattern and firing order. Would have thought once the fuel system is primed up to pressure a leaking injector would show itself.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

dazjb wrote:No, that's a batch fire I did through the ecu to check the spray pattern and firing order. Would have thought once the fuel system is primed up to pressure a leaking injector would show itself.
Oh yeah of course, injectors shouldn't activate without the ecu telling them.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

New genuine Turbosmart wastegate is on the way from Gameon (I confirmed the dealers genuine-ness with Turbosmart).

Crappy GT35 Chinese copy turbo has been removed - actually looks ok, turbine etc but thinking it could be bad tolerances causing it to not make as much boost as it should or bad design?

Despite my advice he's fitting this (on the right):
Precision Turbo 6765
It looks too big, I've been told it's too big (by a firm that sounds like they know what they are talking about) but here we are and he's already bought it and got it here so right now he has nothing to lose (has he?).
Hasn't been sized based on anything other than bigger is better, this Turbo is rated at 900bhp and I just don't think this little 2L V6 is gonna spin it and that he'll get boost even later, in fact it may drive like it's NA, I hope i'm wrong though.

If he gets boost but late on then we're hoping that the Turbo cams which should have just arrived at RPW will help.

If they still don't help then the plan at this stage (and things may and probably will change) is to add a supercharger and twin charge it and hope this will help spin up the turbo quicker.
Just low boost with the supercharger aiming for 5-6psi from 2000rpm and then need a switch over kind of valve / bypass to bypass the supercharger and let the Turbo in (and then his engine goes BANG - well hopefully not)

I've had a think about what kind of valve we can use to do this switch over - bypass valves, wastegates etc and I don't think they will be large enough so I've been thinking that maybe one like what they have on exhausts may do it triggering it when the turbo makes a certain amount of boost. (that's to let the turbo in) and a standard bypass valve for the supercharger.
Early days on that one though and if he goes down that route I will start a new thread.

He would need a supercharger (luckily I have a spare) and the means to mount it, charge cooler for the SC and use his IC up front for the Turbo.
All sounds complicated and a bit of a nightmare but i'm not so sure it is, more research required though.

I think that ultimately he wants Rich Battys title - well his V6 one at any rate, but wants to use the FTO engine not a VR4. It's early days but Rowan is aiming for high horsepower, but I'm just not sure the engine will take it even with forged internals, Richard didn't exactly have smooth sailing with the VR4 when he upped the power and had driveshaft, gearbox and crank issues.
I may sound quite negative but i'm really trying not to be, just being realistic, hell it's not my money that he's throwing at it so i'm here to help him out where I can and good on him for trying I suppose.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

They're both too big :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Bennoz wrote:They're both too big :lol:
Yeah when he got the first one I thought that was too big, then when the precision one arrived I thought wtf..
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

He's got another one here, much smaller with a T3 flange but his up pipe has a T4 flange on it, surely it's not a big deal getting a plate made up to convert T3 to T4.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

:lol:

Even a smaller turbo (a lot smaller) will put out more power than the engine can handle, and if forged, box won't handle it.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Vectose wrote::lol:

Even a smaller turbo (a lot smaller) will put out more power than the engine can handle, and if forged, box won't handle it.
Nek minnut custom gearbox.

f**k me, that turbo is huge. :lol:

What sort of figures is he aiming for? Bearing in mind that fto-007 threw wads of cash at the 6A12, and even with all that and an extra 0.1L capacity the best he managed to my knowledge on 98RON was 355hp @20PSI.